CraigG

Would you prefer

Would you prefer to see in the upcoming run more reality based stories, or the more fantastical bent that MC has been on the past couple of years?

Myfeeling is that while MC's run has been very entertaining, and a good antidote to all that House of Infinite Crisis Ultimate shite crossover shite, the title needs to get back on the ground again, and give JC a chance to mingle in the 'real world' again. A la Ennis and Ellis.

Lets look at this way, there's only so many demons I can take before I want to see JC talk smak to some idiot and then get pissed in the pub with Chas. Get some of the dirt and grit under JC's fingers agiain before he takes on the next mystical threat.

What do you guys want to see? Dundgeons & Dragons or Ken Loach meets The Omen.

Cgeers,

CG

Well, Denise Mina's promised a much more down-to-earth angle on the character/title for her run, and I'm looking forward to it with a frankly unhealthy level of enthusiasm. So yeah, I suppose so.

I'd have to agree with Lyra, the current arc just doesn't feel like it belongs in Hellblazer and while the overt use of magic was quite nifty at the start of Mike's run it's pretty much played out for me now. I'm hoping we see John down the pub with his mates and then tricking some scumfuck into doing himself over.

I'm definitely of a like mind, John. I think the problem for me, at this stage, is that I was getting a little tired of the heavily magic-based stories by the end of Staring At The Wall, and the fantastic run of Ward 24/Out Of Season, coupled with talk of a striking change in direction following issue #200, led me to expect that those elements would be toned down for the last portion of Mike's run. Instead, as we approach the climax, it appears that they've been upped considerably, resulting in a story which, on the whole, I'm simply not enjoying as much as I want to. It's well-written, and superbly-illustrated, but the "John goes to Hell, and gets helplessly tangled up in demon politics" angle of this arc simply isn't one which appeals to me. It's just not got enough to do with what has always struck me as the core of the series - Constantine works best for me when he's got at least one foot planted firmly in reality, and that element has been lost in recent issues.

Still, there're a couple of Carey issues to go after this arc wraps up, which I'm hoping will leave me with a fonder outlook on his run by the time it finishes. After all, he's written several excellent arcs, and at least a couple of straight-up classic issues during his time on the title, and I'd like to hope he's got at least one more up his sleeve...

I like the children, but am hoping John will return from Hell soon. I want to know what is happening with Chas, and at the Masters household once everyone who is destined to return does so.

I am curious to see what Mr. Carey has planned for Cheryl, Rosacarnis and Nergal.

Guest Guest

IMHO, what's so great about JC as a character is that he can be sitting in the boozer getting pished, look up and at the bar is a tosser who needs taken down a peg or two. He can do this by using magik or by being an evil [over-used word]. Like the Ellis issue in the boozer, you had the best of both worlds and the horror seemed much more potent for it. Kind of if you don't see the monster...

I know it was just John talking shit, but I'd like to see him involved in scenarios similar to the ones he mentions in "Telling Tales."

I'm not sure about that.....

Have you noticed that even though John looks really strong (like beating the Beast), he really hasn't accomplished anything of note???

I'm thinking he would've been so caught up in using magic that the Family Man would've just killed him off while he was distracted trying to track down help to form a magic circle, or something!

John doesn't seem to be using his brain very much lately.....

I'm thinking he would've been so caught up in using magic that the Family Man would've just killed him off while he was distracted trying to track down help to form a magic circle, or something!

He needed the magic circle to take on the Shadow Dog (or so he thought). And since Staring at the Wall he's been alternately mindwiped and confused by alternate reality memories, so his head's not really in the right place for outwitting anyone. It's nothing to do with him being stupid.

Never said he was "stupid", just that John never seems to actually accomplish anything anymore.

I didn't take the whole "mind-wipe" thing into consideration though.

Guest spiderlegs

I don't like to impose expectations on something I enjoy this much. I just hope to be presently surprised, like I was for most of Mssr. Carey's run. All His Engines knocked ALL of our dicks in the dirt, as I recall. All I have heard is good things about Mdme Mina, so I am also enthusiastic for her entry into this mythos. But I hope she feels free to take John anywhere her imagination feels compelled to take him, as long as she makes enough room for us to travel with him...

Carey's run hasn't been bad - he's had some great funny lines in it and you've got to admire his attempt to pull together so many different odds and ends from John's history (even if they don't always ring true). It's only recently that he's got too wrapped up in Lucifer-type stories.

Not really relevant, but has anyone read his 2000ad serial "Thirteen"? I looked at it recently and there's a lot of similarities between it and his version of Hellblazer (despite being a sci-fi thingummybob). He even recycled the glass shattering scene from "Reasons To Be Cheerful" from it!

I'm just excited to see where it goes with the new writer - whatever happens.

Oh and by the way this is my first post, so... hello!

I think it'd be good if the subject matter in Hellblazer fluctuated between the two although i think All His Engines is probably the best Hellblazer story Mike Carey has ever written and is one of the all-time great Hellblazer stories and it was chock full of demons.

However, it would be good to see John Constantine going back to his old ways for a bit drinking Guinness in the pub and having a laugh for a change, Carey's been keeping him busy trying to save the world in Staring At The Wall, trying to save himself and Chas's family in the Out Of Season arc, trying to save the world(again) and Chas's grand-daughter in All His Engines and trying to save his friends and family in the Reasons To Be Cheerful/Down In The Ground Where The Dead Men go arcs...surely after all that he is due a sit-down, a pint of Guinness and a chance to catch his breath?

I think it'd be good if the subject matter in Hellblazer fluctuated between the two although i think All His Engines is probably the best Hellblazer story Mike Carey has ever written and is one of the all-time great Hellblazer stories and it was chock full of demons.

I think Kris has the right idea. It should be a good balance between the two. I frankly dont understand the no more demons/fantasy outlook - this is Hellblazer, not 100 Bullets. I want demons, i want magic, I want the supernatural. However, it is true that I could use a little less of the frenetically paced mega-arcs hurtling from one apocalyptic supernatural battle to the next. John is repeatedly coming up against beings of enormous power in every issue to the extent that it saps their ability to evoke awe a little bit. I'd like a few boozer/human issues (though with a touch of the supernatural) and the odd ghost, vampire, werewolf or sundry other minor entity. Balance is good.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that they didn't want to see any more demons in Hellblazer, ever again. I certainly wasn't, anyway!

I pretty much agree with you - balance is important, and after so many issues focusing on epic fantasy, apocalyptic catastrophe, journeys through hell and the like, it'll be refreshing to see John going to...well, Glasgow. It's not like Mina's run is going to be free from the supernatural, after all. From her interview with James a few weeks ago, it sounded like her run should satisfy the demands of most people around here, in terms of content if nothing else.

I was saying I didn't want to see the supernatural for a little bit in H.B.

There's been so many demons in Carey's run that I'm just plain bored of them.

I want some non-genre, character driven stories for a little while before we see more magic.

I wouldn't have grown so bored with the fantasy elements in Carey's run if there had been more balance either. John running into a demon is one thing.

Everyone knows I put Delano's run on a pedestal. He used magic and demons and the supernatural, but he had balance.

I agree totally with what Mark is saying.

The description of Mina's plot sounds like she's taking H.B. back to its roots, now we'll just have to see how the stories read.

And, I sure as hell don't want to see H.B. become like "100 Bullets"! That'd get just as old as epic fantasy, just as quickly!

I am interested to see how Denise Mina is going to follow on the events or the fallout of Mike Carey's run with a trip up north to Glasgow, however i hope this is merely a short holiday for Constantine as i wouldn't like him to start travelling around the U.K and solving everyone's demonic problems nationwide.

The last thing we need is John Constantine to become DC Vertigo's answer to Derek Acorah.

Now there's a crossover title if ever i saw one - Hellblazer meets Britain's Most Haunted featuring Liverpool's two most well-known occult investigators.

I'd love to see an issue where John goes on something like Britain's Most Haunted and shows it up for the manipulative bollocks that it is.