Sign in to follow this  
sethos

Euro comics available in English I recommend

Bilal has some good stuff, though he's not really my cup of tea.

I'm sure someone already mentioned how cool Blacksad is, but I'll wholeheartedly recommend it nevertheless :

70698560.jpg

Blacksad is so good, especially the latest one, set in New Orleans.

The Incal is great. I love the Metabarons stuff Jodorowsky did with Giminez, he's one of my favourite artists.

recent favourites in the Euro comics department are som graphic novels by Mezzo & Pirus. Their King Of The Flies trilogy is also being published in english by Fantagraphics (two parts are available now). a story which is a mix of early David Lynch (Wild At Heart and Blue Velvet specifically) and Tarantino, with artwork that is very Charles Burns influenced only way more detailed and, in my opinion, even better. stunning stuff, I really recommend it. here's a direct link to a pdf preview of the first book: King Of The Flies vol.1 Preview

Fantagraphics has been publishing A LOT of great Euro stuff recently (lots of Jacques Tardi, which I would all recommend, but especially It Was The War Of The Trenches and the Adele Blanc-sec books), with more to come, including a short story collection by David B. and some Lewis Trondheim autobio stuff. And now they are also starting reprints of classic 60s comics

Seth - new Blacksad is next on my reading list, as soon as I finish off the Borgia. Is it really as good as the previous two? (the first one was a bit introductory and unsure of what it wanted to be)

Read the latest book bu Jodorowsky/Janjetov, Ogregod book 1 - Shipwrecked. It's a retelling of Verne's "Two Years' Vacation", but alas this is mostly just setup, so I'm hoping the remaining (and upcoming) three albums pick up the pace and nuance the fairly one-note characters. The artwork's a bit hit'n'miss, not that it's bad, janjetov gives it all he's got, but since I bought the comic at the opening of Janjetov's retrospective exhibition, which Jodo came to support and promote, I've met Janjetov and seen his son, so it's especially jarring (though I'd find it odd nonetheless) to see that he's put their likeness into the comic, as the father and son POV characters, but since he does those two from photo-reference, and all others in his traditional, slightly generic style, the ensuing visual clash takes me out of the moment. Case in point :

og07.jpg

Still, the 2nd volume should be out come summer/fall, so i'll definitely be checking it out.

Yeah, the fourth one is really great. I heartily recommend it!

Are there any released in America,beyond the first volume?That looks geourgous,so I ordered a copy,I cannot seem to find an English language Volume two though.

Archaia published the Translated"The Killer"by Matz & Luc Jacamon and it is stellar,it reminds me a bit of the Gene Gackman Film The Conversation.

Torpedo is good stuff.

That is all I needed to hear,much obliged.

Ever since 100 Bullets ended,I can't scratch a certain graphic itch,this may bring great relief.

Yeah, the fourth one is really great. I heartily recommend it!

Are there any released in America,beyond the first volume?That looks geourgous,so I ordered a copy,I cannot seem to find an English language Volume two though.

Archaia published the Translated"The Killer"by Matz & Luc Jacamon and it is stellar,it reminds me a bit of the Gene Gackman Film The Conversation.

I think Dark Horse will be waiting for two more volumes of the French, so they can publish another big hardcover (as I stated above, the DH Blacksad book collects the first three French volumes).

Torpedo is good stuff.

That is all I needed to hear,much obliged.

Ever since 100 Bullets ended,I can't scratch a certain graphic itch,this may bring great relief.

You'll probably love it: beautiful artwork and some clever, nasty noir thrillers. If you prefer episodic stories to long, drawn out elaborate plots that fizzle out into a daft anticlimax, it's even better than 100 Bullets.

If you prefer episodic stories to long, drawn out elaborate plots that fizzle out into a daft anticlimax

So it wasn't just me.

I think it was everybody, to be honest. Azzarello is good on character and atmosphere, but he seems to have real trouble resolving his plots. That's been a problem with pretty much everything by him I've read, not just 100 Bullets.

I generally agree, but actually think he did a good job of sticking the landing on 100 Bullets - both when it came to the individual shorter stories (of which there were loads, most of them fairly satisfying - it was very much a complicated, drawn-out arc book on the whole, obviously, but there was still room for plenty of other stories along the way), and the actual finale. Like any 100-issue series there were peaks and troughs, but I was pretty satisfied with the way it all wrapped up.

It's far and away Azzarello's best work, and I probably rank it as my favourite long-form Vertigo series from the past 10-15 years - a lot of that is down to Risso, but Azz deserves his share of the credit too. I can see why it's a fairly divisive series, though.

Another vote for Blacksad. I got the Dark Horse collection of the first three stories for my birthday (as there's not a new Grandville this year), and it is indeed rather fine. The writing might be a bit too close to generic noir pastiche, but the art and the attention to detail are very lovely.

The fourth Blacksad book is getting an english language release from Dark Horse this summer, complete with sketch files, etc. should be good.

Also, next month Archaia is launching Siegfried by Alex Alice. If you an amazingly draw, very loose adaptation of Wagner's Nibelungen cycle, you should totally get it. the artwork is amazing.

Also, I think Brecht Evens' new book is coming sooner rather than later from Drawn & Quarterly. it's called "The Making Of" in english.

Finally, I hope Judith Vannistendael's second major book (after her excellent "Dance By The Light Of The Moon") will be coming out in english eventually as well, as it's one of the most moving graphic novels I've ever read. the dutch language title translates as "When David Lost His Voice" and is all about a family coping with a father dying of cancer.