JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #211

Marks out of 10 for Hellblazer #211  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Marks out of 10 for Hellblazer #211

Mark speaks truth (again).

very curious about the Frazer Irving issue as well. and the guest artist. I just hope it's not Steve Dillon, have pretty much seen enough of him on Hellblazer already.

I'm hoping against hope that with the death of Sleeper, Sean Phillips might be doing that issue... that would actually mean something good has come from that series' ending. well, besides the punch to the guts that was the end of Sleeper, anyway. 8-)

I'm hoping against hope that with the death of Sleeper, Sean Phillips might be doing that issue... that would actually mean something good has come from that series' ending. well, besides the punch to the guts that was the end of Sleeper, anyway.  8-)

Speaking of Sleeper, i just newly acquired all those trades...yet to read them though.

Also, regarding this issue, that Brian Azzarello western series coming up called Loveless does look interesting....

I'm hoping against hope that with the death of Sleeper, Sean Phillips might be doing that issue... that would actually mean something good has come from that series' ending. well, besides the punch to the guts that was the end of Sleeper, anyway.  8-)

Speaking of Sleeper, i just newly acquired all those trades...yet to read them though.

the final Sleeper trade (vol. 4) isn't out yet, is it?

the final Sleeper trade (vol. 4) isn't out yet, is it?

I bought trades 1-3 as well as various other stuff that cost me a small fortune.

Ah, there's so much to say about this issue. First off, I gave it a 7. This feels right for reasons I'll get into below, but it seems wrong because I gave #210 an 8 and #209 a 7. The latter is definitely a grade less good than the former, so the relationship between those two is right, but I don't think #210 is better than #211. I'll have to look at the three of them together and rethink this....

Anyway, I liked the breaking into some kind of resolution, and the confrontation and interaction between Constantine and the rest of his unwanted family, as well as the further development of the rift between Maria and her siblings and mother. The knife thing was particularly good (though not wholly joyful to behold).

Oddly, though a fair amount happens in this one, it seems to rush by too fast. I checked to make sure the included Azzarello/Frusin pages had been put into the book at the expense of Hellblazer, but no, HB's count is the usually 22 pages.

Mike Carey was doing the right things with Constantine, having him arrive, without powers but smartassed and brassy, in the midst of dangerous supernatural beings, showing them up and demonstrating that he's a person to be reckoned with. However, JC's dialogue in this one didn't completely work for me. I didn't have a big problem with the sports analogies - I thought the open goal analogy was effective and universal graspable, but the one about the dude in Rome, if it was a sports analogy, went completely past me, though I think I caught its gist. He's saying and doing the right kinds of things generally, but there's something about the specifics of the dialogue, maybe something about its rhythm or the exact use of language, is a bit off.

The cigarette in the eye for Saul is very nice. He really is a little punk, as well as being stupid. (He doesn't have John's, Rosacarnis' or even Nergal's brains. Mentally he most resembles his uncle Stercorax.) Anyway, John sees Saul coming, seemingly casually but intensely hits on his ciggie and in the next panel pops it into his eye, with slapdown dialogue to boot, not the best of that, but appropriate. I'm wondering if John had taken time to think about what he'd do if he was attacked by any of the children, basing his responses on what he experienced at their hands during Rosacarnis' dreamtime. If Saul had indeed woodened himself up like in issue #200, he could be vulnerable to an attack with even a small fire, something John always has at hand.

So maybe he has thought up some countermeasures for Adam and Maria as well? I don't know that Maria will attack John, or attack him with much fervor. My guess is that the biggest danger from the kids will be from Adam, the coldest, most calculating and least human of the three. (Maria seems to be the most like her father, a highly intelligent, expressive yet introspective person who has a general idea of what she's going to do in a situation but plays the specifics by ear.)

Nergal was the least interesting major character in this issue for me, but I liked his use of Cheryl to get into Stercorax' body, and his machiavellian inclusion of Druoth in his scheme. (I wouldn't mind seeing Druoth in future issues, so I hope he doesn't kill himself and stay dead.) I'm waiting to find out what happens to her.

It was good to see that John had figured out so much. Here again, he's the consummate poker player, keeping his card close to the vest and calling another player's bluff.

While the dialogue as a whole didn't fire me up, there are little gems of sentences and phrases scattered around the book.

This was a solid issue, but and important to the resolution of the arc and uber-arc, but there was enough in it that didn't for me that I couldn't give a Really Good (8), Way Good (9), or Perfect (10) score. But the way the story is progressing, I'm hoping for multiple future issues in that upper range.

That's all I can think of to say about Mike Carey's writing for now. I might have much to say about

Leo Manco's artwork, but need to go offline for a bit.

Mike Carey was doing the right things with Constantine, having him arrive, without powers but smartassed and brassy, in the midst of dangerous supernatural beings, showing them up and demonstrating that he's a person to be reckoned with.  However, JC's dialogue in this one didn't completely work for me.  I didn't have a big problem with the sports analogies - I thought the open goal analogy was effective and universal graspable, but the one about the dude in Rome, if it was a sports analogy, went completely past me, though I think I caught its gist.

You really haven't heard about Maradona and the hand of god?

The american illiteracy when it comes to the world's single biggest sport never ceases to amaze me...:lol:

Anyway, I agree with a lot of your comments, but I obviously liked the issue more than you.

You really haven't heard about Maradona and the hand of god?

The american illiteracy when it comes to the world's single biggest sport never ceases to amaze me...:lol:

If I don't give a shit about football, baseball or basketball, why would you expect me to give a shit about soccer?

The most intelligent people of every nation eschew the stupidity of spectator sports. 8-)

But I take this particular sports analogy to mean that Constantine will play dirty if he has to.

The most intelligent people of every nation eschew the stupidity of spectator sports.  8-)

Bollocks to that. :p

But yes, that would be a pretty accurate interpretation of the Maradonna line.

Incidentally, Josh, I've noticed that you haven't been asking your (unecessarily self-deprecating) "clueless American" questions about the last couple of issues (which I always find interesting, incidentally - since it's obviously something which I encounter from a different perspective, it's fascinating to see which aspects of the book strike a non-British/European reader as unusual). I take it that, since it's not so concerned with day-to-day aspects of UK life, this Hell-bound story has contained fewer elements which require explaining to a US reader?

The most intelligent people of every nation eschew the stupidity of spectator sports.  8-)

Bollocks to that. :p

You're just saying that cos this means you're not one of the most intelligent :biggrin:

Its pretty amazing when people havent heard of Maradona though. Not that his is a name I've heard much in recent times....

If I don't give a shit about football, baseball or basketball, why would you expect me to give a shit about soccer?

But I take this particular sports analogy to mean that Constantine will play dirty if he has to.

With that "hand of God" line John Constantine used, he must be the only Englishman i know of who still isn't bitter and twisted about that famous(or should i say "infamous"?) goal so i guess his interest in football(or soccer as its called in the U.S) is about as non-existent as your's is Josh :biggrin:

Incidentally, Josh, I've noticed that you haven't been asking your (unecessarily self-deprecating) "clueless American" questions about the last couple of issues (which I always find interesting, incidentally - since it's obviously something which I encounter from a different perspective, it's fascinating to see which aspects of the book strike a non-British/European reader as unusual). I take it that, since it's not so concerned with day-to-day aspects of UK life, this Hell-bound story has contained fewer elements which require explaining to a US reader?

Oh no, what's going on is that I've been taking classes since the beginning of the year, and in addition to everything else I've had going on in my life, I just hadn't felt settled enough for maybe the last six months to put together my thoughts on an issue. I think that's been the case since maybe issue #205. I really have been meaning to write more "clueless American" posts, to cover all the issues I hadn't gotten to in that time, but I'm not sure if I can do it. Class ended for me recently, and I have some time before they begin again, but other things might expand and fill that time. I hope not, though.

I learned from a young age that most people, perhaps almost all people, are unwilling to "show their ignorance" by asking a question. That generally doesn't stop me, so I'm making a joke of it by calling myself "the clueless American." :cool:

"The most intelligent people of every nation eschew the stupidity of spectator sports. "

Josh speaks the ever-loving Truth!

I knew someone who had a saying, but I forget exactly what it was now....something about the person who asks a stupid question is far smarter than the person who never asks questions.....

Guest spiderlegs

Is it something like "better to be quiet and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and confirm it?" Ben Franklin said that, I believe.

Constantine's interruption of festivities was vintage HELLBLAZER in my mind. The oneliner while simultaneously lighting his cig had me smiling big. And for that, I grade this issue higher than the others. Carey is giving us a brilliant sendoff with this arc. Even though some of you didn't like the nostalgic stuff, I think it's great. I'm really looking forward to the finale and to when this arc is traded.

Is it something like "better to be quiet and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and confirm it?" Ben Franklin said that, I believe.

I always thought that was a particularly asinine piece of advice, myself. Only a coward or an imbecile is so afraid of what other people think of him that he'd rather pass up an opportunity to learn something new than ask a damn question if he isn't sure of something.

"The most intelligent people of every nation eschew the stupidity of spectator sports. "

Josh speaks the ever-loving Truth!

Don't mean to start an argument here but i can never understand this somewhat elitist notion that anyone who likes football or any form of "spectator sports" is looked upon as someone who is of a lower intelligence.

The same thing happens with people's taste in music, films or interests in general i have noticed. I am not particularly interested in opera, ballet, croquet, watching Federico Fellini's films and going to wine tasting parties and but love listening to rock music, watching spaghetti westerns and Hong Kong action movies starring Chow Yun Fat and watching and playing football but if this means i am of a lower intelligence and class then does that mean i've yet to evolve into a snob? :tongue:

Hey, don't shoot the messenger... :biggrin:

No, shoot Ben Franklin instead! :D

And I agree with Kris. I know that Josh was probably 80-90% kidding (right?), but where would you class someone like me, who is both into classical music, abstract art AND football? Messed up, confused? ;)

I know that Josh was probably 80-90% kidding (right?),

Yes.

but where would you class someone like me, who is both into classical music, abstract art AND football? Messed up, confused? ;)

Yes.

8-)

Back on topic!

I get my comic, right, and HALF THE FUCKING THING IS A WESTERN.

Why do they do that. The bloody ads are bad enough. I held the comic, and felt "hey, it is a big boy!. But NOOOO, it is some stupid western. if i WANTED a western comic, funnily enough i know this shop that SELLS COMICS. *sheesh!*

However, I just LOVED the traditional conjob , center stage, got them all eating up his words, so keen to hear "What the fuck do you mean turning up here", that they are not looking around for the angle of attack he has chosen.

All smoking, all dancing along the edge of destrution, and doesn't the First love him for it.

I can see FotF getting John DEAD TO RIGHTS, sitting in his crosshairs one day, and thinking, "Sure, I COULD knock the bunny over, but, life would be awfully boring without him, wouldn't it?".

:)

Just read it - liked it a lot (8) had a really good pace for me, in agreement with those that loved the invitation reveal and the mischief line.

Like others I'm glad John will be in a more earthly paradise in Denise's run (truth or sarcasm, you decide Kris :tongue: ) but I'm finding this sojourn in Hell really good for re-affirming for me, why his character has the knowledge and arrogance to deal (in the best way that he sees it) with the shite that surfaces in his more mundane (yeah right) everyday life.

My favourite part was the way that the story and the panels (especially the narrow page wide panels) increased the speed of the action at the end when John is trying to get Rosa to swear to give him Cheryl's soul and Nergal is cutting a swath through the demon guards... he's shitting himself but still working to a plan "Once in a lifetime opportunity", she's shitting herself but can't function quickly enough "Be silent Constantine, I need to think", typical con artist/poker bluff stuff but great nonetheless.

But then I got confused, who invited the cowboys and which side are they on? ;)

But then I got confused, who invited the cowboys and which side are they on? ;)

I think thats FotF. He is channel surfing, millenium of experience = ennui, and he LIKES soap operas, but he can't keep his mind on them for long, so he has flicked over to the Cowboy Channel for a bit.

You watch, he won't be in the first few pages of the next issue, and then he will disturb everyone by being all

" Damn, it started again. What did I miss?. Where did Nergal get the new body?. What is that bloody knife in Maria's hand about?".

:tongue:

I finally picked it up and also give it an 8 but my bias sinks in. I love our Conj and Mike Carey. FotF's line about god's balls and a nutcracker was nice 8-)

Like others I'm glad John will be in a more earthly paradise in Denise's run (truth or sarcasm, you decide Kris :tongue: )

If John was to travel to Dundee instead of Glasgow in Mina's run on the title, it would technically be John's first foray into Purgatory.

All smoking, all dancing along the edge of destrution, and doesn't the First love him for it.

I can see FotF getting John DEAD TO RIGHTS, sitting in his crosshairs one day, and thinking, "Sure, I COULD knock the bunny over, but, life would be awfully boring without him, wouldn't it?".

Careful, my friend. That way lies slash fiction.