JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #211

Marks out of 10 for Hellblazer #211  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Marks out of 10 for Hellblazer #211

Thought this entry was spot on, gave it an 8. The stellar cover had me hooked right in and though the story was a classic "lead-in" piece, I had a great deal of fun seeing John once again being the nonchalant badass he is. Can't wait for next month's entry. However, as 2006 draws near, the dread of a Hellblazer without Carey OR Bradstreet covers is knawing at my soul.

Say it ain't so Tim!

I was all but cheering at John entrance ! Loved the FOTF bits . I gave this one a ten as its has been one of the most entertaining issue I have read in sometime .

On one hand, I think the critique that Carey's Hellblazer lacks some of the realistic flavor and character-based storytelling of Ellis or Ennis is completely valid. At the same time, I find what Carey is doing deliriously fun.

It's good to here someone praising Carey on here for once. I don't know what everyone's so worked up about - I'm just enjoying reading this arc, started off a little slow but it's picking up.... If Carey's work is so mediocre than why are y'all still buying it?

Although, for all my two cents are worth, I think maybe there'd be less whining if we didn't know the arc was 6 issues long. Not knowing how long you have to wait for some kind of conclusion keep things rolling in my opinion and that way you don't form expectations. Just a thought...

Oh, and that "God's balls and a nutcracker" line was piss funny!

Are you smoking the dog crack?

Barring a few (perfectly reasonable, on the whole) criticisms, the overwhelming majority of forum regulars are loving the hell out of Carey's run. Just look at the issue ratings - out of the 25 people to rate the latest issue, only 5 gave it less than 8 out of 10. Even those of us who've been underwhelmed by recent issues are still generally enthusiastic about Mike's run as a whole, and almost all of us have claimed that the latest issue was the best in a while. As far as I can recall it's only really Wolfram, Christian and Luis who've been consistently unimpressed by most of his run, and of that tiny minority of posters, only Luis has really made a big deal out of it.

In short...what'choo talkin' about, Willis?

You may want to work on the difference between "whining" and "intelligent, balanced criticism", too. There's been a little bit of the former, but the overwhelming majority of comments about Carey's Hellblazer - even those made by people who haven't been entirely impressed by recent issues - have fallen comfortably into the latter category.

Are you smoking the dog crack?

Barring a few (perfectly reasonable, on the whole) criticisms, the overwhelming majority of forum regulars are loving the hell out of Carey's run. Just look at the issue ratings - out of the 25 people to rate the latest issue, only 5 gave it less than 8 out of 10. Even those of us who've been underwhelmed by recent issues are still generally enthusiastic about Mike's run as a whole, and almost all of us have claimed that the latest issue was the best in a while. As far as I can recall it's only really Wolfram, Christian and Luis who've been consistently unimpressed by most of his run, and of that tiny minority of posters, only Luis has really made a big deal out of it.

In short...what'choo talkin' about, Willis?

You may want to work on the difference between "whining" and "intelligent, balanced criticism", too. There's been a little bit of the former, but the overwhelming majority of comments about Carey's Hellblazer - even those made by people who haven't been entirely impressed by recent issues - have fallen comfortably into the latter category.

He speaks the truth you know .

"Hasty"? Naah. "Rude", maybe, but after careful consideration I still think it was a reasonable enough response. No real offence intended, but if you're going to make such a direct (and inaccurate) accusation, you should expect to get called out on it.

I could have responded with a more conciliatory tone, but really, if someone's going to make blanket statements implicitly criticising the tastes of almost everyone here, I don't think that some degree of factual accuracy in that criticism is too much to ask for.

"Hasty"? Naah. "Rude", maybe, but after careful consideration I still think it was a reasonable enough response. No real offence intended, but if you're going to make such a direct (and inaccurate) accusation, you should expect to get called out on it.

I could have responded with a more conciliatory tone, but really, if someone's going to make blanket statements implicitly criticising the tastes of almost everyone here, I don't think that some degree of factual accuracy in that criticism is too much to ask for.

Mark, that was me above.

So don't restrain yourself. You can feel free to whip me for my joke, I have taken my shirt off and clasped the capstan.

:)

"Hasty"? Naah. "Rude", maybe, but after careful consideration I still think it was a reasonable enough response.

"Overly harsh" and "making a mountain out of a molehill" come readily to mind when I read your reply to Bailey. I think he's wrong where you say he is, but wouldn't have said it the way you did. You're putting too much emotional energy and animosity into this, in my humble opinion at least.

The guy's still a newbie with right now only 4 posts under his belt. Why not cut him some slack?

I agree with Josh. If he'd been around for longer it would have been more acceptable, but there's no point being like that to someone who doesn't know the forum well enough to understand where you're coming from.

Fair enough.

Sorry, Bailey. Honestly, no offence was intended.

Fair enough.

Sorry, Bailey. Honestly, no offence was intended.

God damn it, whats a guy gotta do to get a little whipping around here.

I put on my fanciest costume too!

*sulks*

Guest spiderlegs

But then I got confused, who invited the cowboys and which side are they on? ;)

I think thats FotF. He is channel surfing, millenium of experience = ennui, and he LIKES soap operas, but he can't keep his mind on them for long, so he has flicked over to the Cowboy Channel for a bit.

We doesn't like for our comic to springboard others. They need to be tucked at the end of a good one to make it? Maybe they shouldn't make it...

I forgot to mention this before - I reckon Adam and Saul will stand up to granddad and get killed for it, John and Rosa will work together to knock off Nergal and Marie will kill Rosa with the dagger she was made to kiss this issue.

It'll end either with Maria taking control of Nergal's house or her disappearing after he mother is killed (the spell wears off if John dies - is it the same with Rosa?).

Dunno about Cheryl, though. Fingers crossed for John failing to bring her back to life, but sending her off to Heaven instead.

I'd reckon on at least some of that being accurate - especially the bit about Maria killing her mother with the dagger which was very pointedly introduced for what would appear to be precisely that purpose last issue.

I forgot to mention this before - I reckon Adam and Saul will stand up to granddad and get killed for it, John and Rosa will work together to knock off Nergal and Marie will kill Rosa with the dagger she was made to kiss this issue.

It'll end either with Maria taking control of Nergal's house or her disappearing after he mother is killed (the spell wears off if John dies - is it the same with Rosa?).

Dunno about Cheryl, though. Fingers crossed for John failing to bring her back to life, but sending her off to Heaven instead.

If Cheryl goes to heaven, I hope she gives John the finger.

I'd reckon on at least some of that being accurate - especially the bit about Maria killing her mother with the dagger which was very pointedly introduced for what would appear to be precisely that purpose last issue.

Nice pun.

Marie will kill Rosa with the dagger she was made to kiss this issue.

I know the arc as a whole has been a bit of a clunker but I don't think Mike will go down that obvious a root - I'm half thinking that they'll use some magicky-bollocks that allows the dagger to kill Uncle PlotDevice.

I've actually enjoyed most of this arc after what I saw as a lousy first issue (my opinion being the exact opposite of some people's, funnily enough).

Guest spiderlegs

Yeah, I don't consider this arc to be a clunker at all. It's a nice sendoff with the occasional flaw. But they aren't harmful or debilitating flaws--rather just a bit like riding the bus next to someone with a bad case of gas. They might be fun to talk to, even attractive to look at, but with the occasional odd aroma which surfaces for a few minutes and then disperses, thankfully. Overall, it doesn't ruin the journey and makes for a nice anecdote later at the bar.

Oh, and you bastard, Mark. I think there's fodder enough in this thread to add to that pile of quotes in your sig... :ph34r:

That's one of the strangest similes I've ever encountered, Spiderlegs. Congratulations.

I was unimpressed with the amount of time this arc took to get going, and still think there were far too many redundant pages in the first few issues, but on the whole, it's not turning out to be a bad story per se. My problem with it (a few niggles about pacing and tone aside) is a purely personal one, which is simply that I was never interested in seeing Hellblazer go in this direction, creatively (that applies equally to the epic Hell-bound fantasy trappings and the heavily self-referential continuity-laden aspects of the story), and now that it has, I still feel the same way. It's just not a story which I feel needed to be told, and on a purely selfish level, I wish Mike had chosen to write about something else. I'm particularly disappointed by the navel-gazing, overly-nostalgic continuity references which have packed the title since #200, especially since none of the so-called "loose ends" which some people have suggested Mike's been given to tie up actually needed tying-up in the first place.

It's a reasonably-written arc, and I can see why plenty of people are getting a kick out of it. It's just not one I'm particularly interested in, so my enjoyment of the occasional amusing line or striking visual image is tempered by that.

Still, there are 3 more issues following it which look like they might be able to wrap up Mike's run in a manner more to my tastes, without alienating those of you who've been enjoying this arc. Here's hoping...

Guest spiderlegs
That's one of the strangest similes I've ever encountered, Spiderlegs. Congratulations.

It's a gift. It comes in handy with the random encounter with a redneck when direct communication, logic and pictographs have failed. All that's left is spinnin' yarns, and I know lots of paradoxical people: pretty girls who fart like guys, a DJ who hates all forms of music, an old man with a mental condition (similar to Billy Bob's sister in PREACHER) that fucks with his recognition in his brain, so he thinks all people look like lumps of bread, but he's a racist anyway, even though he can't SEE the difference physically (or so he says--liars are interesting characters, too, and Texas is full of those...liars, I mean).

But I kind of dug my little associative yarn, there, too (I've decided that in my case, "strange" will always be considered a compliment). Thanks for noticing!