JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #211

Marks out of 10 for Hellblazer #211  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Marks out of 10 for Hellblazer #211

an old man with a mental condition (similar to Billy Bob's sister in PREACHER) that fucks with his recognition in his brain, so he thinks all people look like lumps of bread, but he's a racist anyway, even though he can't SEE the difference physically

Maybe he sees people as white bread and wholemeal?

Guest spiderlegs
an old man with a mental condition (similar to Billy Bob's sister in PREACHER) that fucks with his recognition in his brain, so he thinks all people look like lumps of bread, but he's a racist anyway, even though he can't SEE the difference physically

Or, you know, those rye bread people control Hollywood and all the money...

Or, you know, those rye bread people control Hollywood and all the money...

Surely "unleavened bread"?

I particularly love Carey stuff, but this one is perfect. The First of the Fallen gets more sophisticated than never, just wanting to enjoy the night, not wanting to kill John or whatever: you should expect a demon be patient, shouldn't you?

It's merely brilliant

I particularly love Carey stuff, but this one is perfect. The First of the Fallen gets more sophisticated than never, just wanting to enjoy the night, not wanting to kill John or whatever: you should expect a demon be patient, shouldn't you?

It's merely brilliant

Damn right, I think Carey may actually make FOTF interesting for me.

Unfortunately, he really is just Conjob's fucking superhero nemesis.

Still feel that somehow he's still too modernist and colloqial?

But that slowly trickles into my rant about literal demons and the buffy syndrome.

You know where 8000 year old gods sit around together over their respective lattes discussing sex and dating tips.

hummph.

Guest Guest
I'm hoping that Mike will bring closure to Constantine's rivalry with the The First by the end of his run.

It's not only you who is waiting for it, I think everyone else is too!!! Carey has left little vis-a-vis between John and the The First, so now everyone is prepared for the fight! I'm even saving some pop-corn for the moment! :biggrin:

Nah, I reckon he'll just be a bystander in this. I can't see Carey wrapping up the Nergal, Rosacarnis, demon kids AND FotF plots in a single issue...

Nah, I reckon he'll just be a bystander in this. I can't see Carey wrapping up the Nergal, Rosacarnis, demon kids AND FotF plots in a single issue...

But maybe in what's left of his run? I don't see it likely either since leaving (at the very least) The First to be used later by another writer seems like the most logical guess. I reckon he'll take care of Nergal and Rosacarnis for good though.

Then again I haven't even read this issue so I don't think I have much weight to throw into the discussion quite yet.

It sounds like the rest of Carey's run is going to be more character driven, which I really do hope, with John dealing with all of the fallout of everything he's been through in the past months.

Gee a month is a long time to wait!

Re-Reading this comic, I see an interesting thing.

When Cheryls soul does its Burnie the fire-woman impersonation, John says

"Nergal - - Something inside me - - - Jesus ! make it stop!"

and nergs answers "Very well, Constantine."

Did John compel Nergal by calling on the Nazarene?.

When Cheryls soul does its Burnie the fire-woman impersonation, John says

"Nergal - - Something inside me - - - Jesus ! make it stop!"

and nergs  answers "Very well, Constantine."

Did John compel Nergal by calling on the Nazarene?.

Interesting theory, but I'm sure Constantine is far from God's help by now.

But maybe in what's left of his run? I don't see it likely either since leaving (at the very least) The First to be used later by another writer seems like the most logical guess. I reckon he'll take care of Nergal and Rosacarnis for good though.

That's what I think: It wouldn't be logical if all these hints Carey has been giving us about the First ende in nothing, would it? But I don't remember how many issues has Carey left, so I can't tell if he will have space ;)

I really do hope the three last issues are used for a little Constantine naval gazing.

THis whole run has been a rollercoaster of a plot, so much has happened (as Adrian has pointed out earliar and I hope his theory is correct).

It just that it all feels like plot and narrative to me.

I just still dont know how Con job "feels".

So perhaps in the three last issues, Con job will attempt to emotionally digest Carey's solid (hell, im still a Delano, Jenkins nut) run.

Anymore "emotional talk" and i'll release a Pilates DVD or something.

About not knowing what Johnny was thinking or feeling, I read in an interview with Carey that he wanted that, so he was explaining the stories from John's friends, and leaving his mind hidden for us. Carey thought that tyhis would give him more interest, more magic.

I think he's doing well, you can guess what john's thinking bye the look in his face. But then in Delano's run, you saw a more complex character, with ironies and all, that completed the story. But, after all, who knows? We'll have to wait to see what happens with the last issues.

So now that I've read the issue(s) involved in this arch here's my opinion of it thus far.

This issue was all about preparation. John makes his enterence, which was a good line. I also liked his description of Hell as "a living thing". It set the mood nicely. There's not really much to say about it. I'd give it about an eight. I wasn't dissapointed with the content, and the art was up to par. No complaints...except this one.

I know we're all supposed to accept that John's always had one up against the next guy, but this issue didn't quite clarify that to me. How was it that John was able to catch up on the plan when there is no real hint he had any idea what Nergal's intentions were the entire time. Granted, he's no friend of Constantine.

That said, it was good moment when John revealed he was aware of the plan Rosa had carried since "Happy Families" or at least that he had figured it out along the way that he couldn't be killed for the sake of the spawn.