JohnMcMahon

Cover for HB #205, Retouched cover for HB#204

That is really, really beautiful.

I know that's being a huge creep, but I'm quite moved by that.

I'm now thinking John is right in his thinking about demon Constantine lending a hand.

fantastic cover, I think Tim is getting better all the time.

I don;t like the look of that axe on #205...

methinks it'll have a downright nasty use, eh?

So whozat on 205? Saul? Angie? Gemma? Demon Constantine? Eyeball Kid? Still it's gotta be nice for Tim to get to do some cheesecake shots now and then right?

So anyway, John and Ade get a cover cameo, Red has one on #205.

Where are mine and Jamesie's?

Kidding.

Those covers do look fucking ace though.

Those are two really good covers, the retouched 204 a classic and 205 something truly special.

But wasn't the cover with the polychromatic hair and the rat supposed to be the cover for 204?

In any case, any of these covers would be great for a person who's just seen Constantine to find on the shelves.

In any case, any of these covers would be great for a person who's just seen Keanustanteen find on the shelves.

And they pick it up and wonder just who the blonde guy who talks funny is and where the shotgun toting dumbass is.

But wasn't the cover with the polychromatic hair and the rat supposed to be the cover for 204?

No, that'll be the one for #203.

Tim's used that kind-of-style on #205 before on a couple of Azzarello issues as well as one or two of Careys, I really like it as it serves up nice teasing snippets for a story we won't see for a while.

Don't know what it is but the red-eyed Chas in the corner just reeks of sardonic humour, reckon it's the grin.

ooooh, those are SO nice.

Me likey lots.

Oh, and nice wall too............

So whozat on 205? Saul? Angie? Gemma? Demon Constantine? Eyeball Kid?  Still it's gotta be nice for Tim to get to do some cheesecake shots now and then right?

OK, the vignettes, left to right, top to bottom -

Cheryl, Gemma's nitwit boyfriend Simon.

Angie, Gemma, and Chas (red eye) Chandler.

As far as the axe? Reread Josh's post for more ;)

My colorist was concerned that no one would get that John is standing, leaning against the wall.

He saw the shot as JC laying on the floor. Obviously I never saw it that way because I shot it with the intent that we were looking up from the floor at him. We argued about it the whole time he was coloring it. I reasoned that people would figure it out especially after reading the issue. Luckily no one here seemed confused by it. Which brings up another bone of contention that seems to arise from time to time. It's true that I like to be ambiguous with certain elements on my covers, to me it adds mystery and a bit of drama. It's a technique I always stick by, especially on Hellblazer. From time to time, whether it's an editor or a colleague, I'm advised that maybe I need to hit people over the head with the idea so people "get it", which I think is a completely lame approach, not at all suitable for a book like this. For Punisher, fine, that's the nature of the character. Here on Hellblazer there are darker forces at work, and my response to these types of suggestions is the same as it always is - Give people a little credit. When things are ambiguous it leaves things open to interpretation. To me that helps the artwork, or the book itself to become more personal. It can mean something different to to every individual.

Thank you all for the nice comments. Wait til you see what I have in store for 206.

Yeah baby.

- TB

He saw the shot as JC laying on the floor.

Um, so did I. Sorry! Maybe if - oh, the irony - it was a brick wall it would have been a little more clear. The wooden panelling looks like floorboards, though, and the low, low roof gives the impression that he's right next to a (tiled) wall.

It does look better when you know he's leaning against a wall, but the immediate impression is that he's curled up asleep rather than clutching his head in frustration or whatever.

Gemma seems to have acquired this boyfriend fast. Does anyone know the timescale (in Earth, not Hell, time) between Out of Season and the latest issue? I thought it was only supposed to be about a week...

He saw the shot as JC laying on the floor.

As did I until I realised it would be a pretty awkward position to be lying in.

Gemma seems to have acquired this boyfriend fast.

Who d'you think you are? Her father? :D

As did I until I realised it would be a pretty awkward position to be lying in.

Exactly the point I was arguing. You'd have to be laying on your left arm with the rest of your body and right arm perpendicular. Not very comfortable or natural.

As James noted, the place where I shot it did have a low cieling which does help trick the eye and make a good argument for the lying on the floor bit.

When I look at it I see the up shot but not everyone will.

Cripes, well you can't win them all, maybe we should start a poll?

Please . . . do not start a poll. ;)

- TB

PS. One important note. In color correcting this cover (it was initially way to dark) there was an oversight. I didn't realize until after we reworked it that I'd left Chas' hair too light. To that I can only say . . . El Crud, I fucked that one up.

Sorry, Tim - I'm gonna have to agree that it looks like another "JC passed out on the floor" cover.

I haven't seen many wood-panelled walls and low tiled ceilings here in the UK - is this more common in the States?

I've also noticed this with both Frusin's and Manco's art in the interiors - lots of tiling, and the yellow/green colours of the tiles seem odd. Or maybe it's just me.

Still, I've no doubt we'd be complaining again if it was another brick wall...

I'd love to see you experiment a bit more with your covers - over the past year 192, 194, 197, 202 and 203 are probably my favourites, and of the iconic JC covers, 200 is contender for all-time favourite.

On the plus side, 204 and 205 are still better by far than anything else on the market at the moment, and I do like the vignettes on the latter.

the trenchcoat would be differently positioned if he were to lie down on the floor... that's a gravitational giveaway...

My colorist was concerned that no one would get that John is standing, leaning against the wall.

He saw the shot as JC laying on the floor. Obviously I never saw it that way because I shot it with the intent that we were looking up from the floor at him. We argued about it the whole time he was coloring it. I reasoned that people would figure it out especially after reading the issue. Luckily no one here seemed confused by it.

You know, my first response was that he was lying down (again!) but he does not have the posture of lying down. It's that the wood panels looking like floorboards.

Which brings up another bone of contention that seems to arise from time to time. It's true that I like to be ambiguous with certain elements on my covers, to me it adds mystery and a bit of drama. It's a technique I always stick by, especially on Hellblazer. From time to time, whether it's an editor or a colleague, I'm advised that maybe I need to hit people over the head with the idea so people "get it", which I think is a completely lame approach, not at all suitable for a book like this.

ABsolutely, your covers provide more mystery than them bleedin' solicitations.

For Punisher, fine, that's the nature of the character. Here on Hellblazer there are darker forces at work, and my response to these types of suggestions is the same as it always is - Give people a little credit. When things are ambiguous it leaves things open to interpretation. To me that helps the artwork, or the book itself to become more personal. It can mean something different to to every individual.

That paragraph reads like a review of the film.