JohnMcMahon

All-Star Superman

Oh Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely, you are entirely too kind to us fans.

I know I'm jumping the gun here, but from what I've seen in these pages, this looks leaps and bounds ahead of what we've seen so far in All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder.

looks real good. Tho I'm a bit turned off by Quetilys Superman. But other then that, It looks good.

Indeed. As much as I loved the Azz's portrayal of him in Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, it's good to see outright mad-as-a-hatter scientist Luthor back in business.

Particularly impressed by the clearly visible SuperSchlong on the last page, there.

This comic is going to rock SO FUCKING HARD.

You will notice, of course, that the chest-ular 'S' has rounded edges. The Byrne Board are going to go fucking MENTAL about this heresy.

You will notice, of course, that the chest-ular 'S' has rounded edges. The Byrne Board are going to go fucking MENTAL about this heresy.

Mark, so what is the big deal? I don't know.

I like the rounded edges, it reminds me of the good old days of the movie and Curt Swan.

Oh, I was just vaguely remembering a thread over on the John Byrne Forum a few months ago in which several people objected in ludicrously strong terms to what appeared to be a fairly minor reworking of the "classic" 'S' icon on Quitely's cover for All Star Superman #1 (if I recall correctly, more than one poster also criticised the same image on the grounds that Superman's facial expression resembled some sort of gay come-on. No, really). That, coupled with the fervent dislike many of the regulars over there seem to feel for anything written by or associated with Grant Morrison, leads me to suspect that they're not going to be going wild over this one.

Personally, I rather like the new 'S'. It's got a fairly classic feel as far as I can see, especially considering how many different versions of the shield there've been over the years.

No.

I should point out, incidentally, that I own, somewhere, a copy of Byrne's Man Of Steel, and love it. The guy drew a fucking good Superman, and didn't write a bad one either. The fact that he's occasionally a bit of an arse online, and that some of his fans tend towards the insanely rabid (as, to be fair, do plenty of his critics), shouldn't and doesn't detract from that.

But anyway, back to the topic at hand.

That's one hell of a chin Superman is sporting in that final 'reveal' page, isn't it? I realise that, this being Quitely, that was inevitable, but even so, it's striking enough to be worthy of comment. The one-page 'origin' is a fantastic riposte to the trend towards decompression which Morrison's criticised a few times in recent interviews, but it was the Luthor scene which really grabbed me - I love a good bit of old-school super-villainry, and this looks like it'll fill that hole nicely.

I haven't read a Superman issue since I was a kid (outside of an odd issue or two of Azzarello's "Man of Tomorrow" which bored me) but this doesn't strike me as anything new in terms of plot. Lex Luthor out to get Superman, again? Seems pretty standard to me.

Feel free to give me shit because like I said, I'm not a DC super-hero reader.

Ah, but it's looney mad scientist Lex, not the dull nu-yuppie Lex of the last two decades, and that's cause for celebration!

Yes. Every other superhero and villain doesn't have to be a CEO, though I guess we should expect that after the triumph of Reaganism. Anyway, I grew up with Luthor as a mad scientist (in the 1960s), and I think that persona works better for him. I think Warren Ellis' tech CEO role for Tony Stark is way better than anything in that vein that's been written for Luthor, so it's good that DC is taking LL back to his roots, at least in this title.

Indeed. As much as I loved the Azz's portrayal of him in Lex Luthor: Man of Steel,

There are elements of that Luthor here - the "I'm getting old and he's not " line is straight out of the recent mini.

I posted a link the preview pages on the Byrne forum, initial responses were favourable but then the thread was deleted.

Post-Crisis Luthor was re-invented as an eeevil corrupt business CEO, who eventually rose to the rank of President of America before getting taken down by Superman and Batman. Pre-crisis Luthor was a mad genius scientist, fond of manic raving and diabolical schemes to destroy Superman. Morrison's resurrecting the latter version for this series, it would appear.

Mark is leaving out THE most ludicrous version of Luthor (from the "death of Superman" era)...after having his arm amputated due to the radiation from the kryptonite ring he always wore, Lex faked his death (well, he did actually die) and was reborn as his long-lost illegitimate son (via cloning)...complete with Adonis physique, Fabio-like long red hair and a red beard! Oh, and worst of all...a ridiculous Australian accent! AND he was shacking up with Supergirl! Truly, it was the worst of times...

Me, I like the balance...insanely rich Lex who's ALSO an insane scientist...an evil Tony Stark, but even better...