JohnMcMahon

All-Star Superman

I was only vaguely aware of that - it rings a bell now you mention it, but I certainly haven't read any Superman stories from that era.

To be honest, aside from Man Of Steel, Alan Moore's two Superman stories, Azzarello/Lee's For Tomorrow and a few "archive" Golden/Silver Age tales, I've read feck-all Superman. Am I missing anything good? I suspect not, but if there's any good stuff out there, I'd be happy to give it a look.

Rather then a 12 issue maxi. I would love it if they made it a monthly ongoing. Morrison writing Superman on a "ultimate" type series would be bril if it lasted for a long time.

Mind you, with Quitely on art it's going to be horrendously late as it is. The guy's had the best end of a year to get started on the art for this, and apparently he's only a few pages into issue #2. Damnit.

Mind you, with Quitely on art it's going to be horrendously late as it is. The guy's had the best end of a year to get started on the art for this, and apparently he's only a few pages into issue #2. Damnit.

WTF? Waite so he's an entire year to get his shit together and he's still working on issue #2? Guess he's trying to beat Joe Mads schedule...

I sincerely hope Lex wins and Superman croaks.

But I'm likely to be disappointed.

Well, yes.

You could probably get considerably more pleasure from simply not reading this, thinking about it. :)

Mark is leaving out THE most ludicrous version of Luthor (from the "death of Superman" era)...after having his arm amputated due to the radiation from the kryptonite ring he always wore, Lex faked his death (well, he did actually die) and was reborn as his long-lost illegitimate son (via cloning)...complete with Adonis physique, Fabio-like long red hair and a red beard!  Oh, and worst of all...a ridiculous Australian accent!  AND he was shacking up with Supergirl!  Truly, it was the worst of times...

I still have The Death of Superman from when I was a kid, and I do remember that version of Luthor, but I was confused why he appeared the way he did. Thanks for the explanation. It sounds like a really shitty story though.

He's Norwegian. The joy was sucked out of him early in life, in the lonely gloom of a dark suicide-filled Scandinavian winter.

Obviously Lex can never really beat Supes but those who're yearning for such a thing should really check out the just-done Lex Luthor mini by Brian Azzarello for a whole different perspective on their ongoing 'dispute'

That really happened, Mojo? Oh God, that's even worse than Knightfall-era Joker. I'm beginning to see why the early 90s were considered to be the Dark Age of Comics.

It sounds like I killed Christmas!

And the sad truth is, the current Lex is STILL that Lex...he just somehow lost all his hair again, though I forget how. And his accent. Thankfully.

The same DC that would do this...

90ssupermen.jpg

knightfall2whorulesthenight.jpg

firstkylerayner.jpg

greenarrow2.jpg

...and for the record, I do enjoy the newer GL and GA's, but still, they came from the "if it's old, kill it and make it new" era of 90's DC.

As for Lex himself, it's a safe bet Dan Jurgens was behind the clone storyline.

Why are you so dead inside?

Frankly, I blame society.

No, strike that, I blame Stephen Norrington. 'cause when I watched LXG, the movie, something inside me died.

Sadly, you can blame the screenwriter who adapted it, the man behind...

starmanbook0a.jpg

Leave%20It%20To%20Chance%20Shamans%20Rain%20big.jpg

new_graphic_novel3702.jpg

...yep, that's right.

THAT James Robinson adapted LOEG to the big screen.

What a shame.

Why are you so dead inside?

Frankly, I blame society.

No, strike that, I blame Stephen Norrington. 'cause when I watched LXG, the movie, something inside me died.

I'll second that. LXG destroyed whatever hope I had left of a decent Hollywood portrayal of my favourite comics and killed part of my brain leading to the moral flexibility that has led to my present pathological condition as recognized by Red.

However I am not numb enough to ever say that I hope Superman croaks. This world is nothing without the continued life of Superman.

Interviewer: How far ahead do you have to work to make sure Frank can have 12 issues published monthly?

Morrison: Published monthly ? Oh hahahaha...

Another new Morrison interview here, including a fair bit of All-Star Superman talk.

I'm inclined to wait for the trade on this one too, but since they're almost all self-contained single issue stories, I may just pick up the issues as and when they trickle out. I fully expect to still be waiting for #12 in 2008, though.

However I am not numb enough to ever say that I hope Superman croaks. This world is nothing without the continued life of Superman.

I'm not sure I"d feel much more than bemusement if DC killed Superman. Other than the very occasional few issues in some Superman title or another, there's just about nothing that's written with thei character that really interests me these days. Maybe the best thing was his conversation with Tommy Monaghan [sp?] in Hit Man, and the parody of him in The Pro, which weren't even real superhero titles.

Right now the most interesting thing about Superman seems to be Lex Luthor.

...and for the record, I do enjoy the newer GL and GA's, but still, they came from the "if it's old, kill it and make it new" era of 90's DC.

So what area are we in now? "If its dead bring it back" ?

Oh no, Barry!

Superman is an Americana icon (who's half Canadian, :lol: ). That's why it would be such a blow if DC killed off Superman for good. Because, yeah, besides that fact, I can't see any reason to keep him around anymore!

I'm excited that this series is going to be mostly self-contained stories. I miss those days, when an on-going series would have a 2-part story at most, but at the same time, even though all the issues could be read alone, they are also telling a bigger story.

Wow! James Robinson's pretty damn good writing comics, but he's all kinds of shite when it comes to movies, isn't he?