JohnMcMahon

All-Star Superman

Hmm - looks like they've changed the 'S' shield back to the standard version. Can't say I object - the slightly softened redesign in the earlier previews didn't look quite as good, for my money.

I am still so very excited by the prospect of this book.

Here's the Neal Adams variant cover for issue #1, which'll be shipping one copy for every 10 of the Quitely cover (cynical, exploitative bastards that they are):

ASSMCv1Variant.jpg

Much as I love a lot of Adams' work (he's one of my favourite comic artists, on a good day), this cover really doesn't do anything for me - and since I tend to prefer the cover to have something to do with the comic inside, I'd definitely be going for the (much better, in my ever-so-humble-opinion) Quitely version, even if they were shipping the two variants in a 50/50 split. What exactly does Neal Adams have to do with this project, other than that he drew Superman a few times in the past?

Looks like it, yeah - I should have been clearer about that. What I meant was that, if there's a choice, I'd usually rather have a cover by the same artist as the guy who's doing the interiors. If my store had been able to get me a copy, I would have snapped up the Miller-covered version of All-Star Batman & Robin #2, mind...

Basically, though, I just don't see the point in getting Neal Adams in to do a single cover for this one. His style doesn't gel all that well with Quitely's, to my eyes, and it's not like he's especially closely associated with Superman in the first place (he did do that fucking awesome cover for Superman Vs. Muhammed Ali, mind) - surely they'd have been better off getting him to do a cover for All-Star Batman, since his is still probably the most popular and iconic version of that character?

Allstar supes ships next month. Tho only two issues are out, and it will prolly be delayed after January. arse wank..

The "All Star Superman" book by Grant Morrison is really good! As you know, I usually don't like Superman, but this version reminds me a lot of the "Lois & Clark" TV show (with Dean Cain as Superman), which I did enjoy. It was a really fun story, and I loved the Ray Bradbury homages.

I hope the format of each issue telling its own story, but having an overarching thread to connect the whole series is true, as that'll make me love this book all the more.

Morrison is really on his A-game of late. Everything he's been writing for the past 2 years has been gold.

Apparently, Morrison and Quitely doing art for the new Robbie Williams album has pushed back work on All Star Superman (or ASS, as I'll be calling it from now on, because I'm just a big kid at heart). Shame the editors don't actually have power over stuff like this any more (especially in the case of something like the All Star series).

Has the second issue even been solicited yet ?

I don't think AS Batman has been solicted for the last three months either.

I'm not a time freak or anything but that's a bit shitty.

Apparently, Morrison and Quitely doing art for the new Robbie Williams album has pushed back work on All Star Superman (or ASS, as I'll be calling it from now on, because I'm just a big kid at heart). Shame the editors don't actually have power over stuff like this any more (especially in the case of something like the All Star series).

I hadn't heard that reason being posited...to be honest, I don't know if Quitely needs a reason/excuse to turn in his work months late. It's never stopped him in the past, that's for sure...I like his work a lot, so I'm probably going to be willing to pick up the book as and when it comes out, but I have no doubt at all that we'll be waiting long months between issues, every time.

All-Star Batman #3 has been delayed until the end of December, apparently. That's going from a 6-weekly schedule (as solicited) to a gap of almost 3 months between issues #2 and #3 - assuming, of course, that it comes out then at all. Which is, quite frankly, fucked up.

Why aren't publishers ensuring they have at least a set number of issues (or in the case of a limited series, the entire thing) in the bag before they go to press or even announce the damn thing? It seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot but putting out hugely hyped series that take months (or sometimes years) between issues.

Why aren't publishers ensuring they have at least a set number of issues (or in the case of a limited series, the entire thing) in the bag before they go to press or even announce the damn thing?  It seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot but putting out hugely hyped series that take months (or sometimes years) between issues.

I'd assume, with real top-flight series like this, that it's largely a matter of being able to string out an audience for as long as possible. Look at it this way - if DC published, say, All-Star Kilowog & Blue Beetle once a month, every month, on the dot, for 12 issues, then a reader who buys the whole series will be exposed to DC's (and their advertisers') marketing, and the attendant temptation to buy other comics, for 12 months. If, on the other hand, they relax a little, and exploit the "you can't hurry art" argument, they may get as much as two years' worth of the reader's attention. It's all about "brand consciousness" or some such rot these days.

Of course, the fans get a pay-off from having to wait too - in that the writers and artists are given enough time to produce polished work, instead of being rushed towards deadlines and churning out run-of-the-mill pap.

But the whole point of waiting until a decent number of issues are already completed before soliciting a series would be to avoid precisely that kind of deadline pressure. The counterpoint to your argument would be that readers are probably less likely to actually keep buying a series in single issue form if it's subject to constant, excessive delays (the odd week or two here and there isn't a problem, but when you're stuck to waiting 3 fucking months between issues for a series which was solicited as being 6-weekly, something somewhere has gone seriously arse-shaped) - I know I'm seriously considering just dropping All-Star Batman & Robin (maybe reading scanned versions of the issues as and when they come out, if I'm curious) and waiting to pick up the trade, and I know quite a few other people in a similar position.

Yes, of course it's a fine balancing act, as most things in life are. In this case, they need to balance out their desire for brand/brainwash exposure with the need to keep their customers happy, to balance out satisfaction with suspense.

It's the same trick as bands starting their gigs late - the longer they leave it, the more excited people get, but if they leave it too long, the more people get bored and leave.

The creators don't need to be rushed...offer them the title or accept their proposal and then give them the time to do the entire series, or a certain number of issues, before the thing is even set to some kind of schedule.

My comic-reading friends who still buy monthly flimsies are, for the most part, fed up with delayed titles even by their favorite writers and are beginning to drop titles because of it, like Mark was talking about.

Me, I say it makes a stronger case for putting out certain stories or titles ONLY as collected books, which is ultimatly what I want.

The thing is, with the bigger-name authors and artists, they know that most fans will be happy to wait for months inbetween issues. And even if they weren't, it's worth keeping them sweet because they're more likely to come back to work for you, bringing huge ripples of publicity in their wake.

Back on-topic for a moment...

I'd rather not think about how long we're now going to have to wait to see #2, but issue #1 was the fucking business. Everything I'd hoped it would be, and more. Details to follow at some point, but suffice to say: I was very, very impressed. My hopes were probably unrealistically high, but I'm not disappointed at all.

I might buy it when it comes out in TPB format, sometime in 2012 (probably five minutes before the universe implodes or goes backwards or whatever's going to happen). I could even have a job by then.

Oh, you never know. There might be a ludicrously overpriced hardcover collecting the first 6 issues out before the end of 2007. You could buy that.

's why I said TPB, man. There's no way I'm paying full whack for a hardcover comic that's not Hellblazer related.

Watchmen-12 issues in one book for $20.00

Move ahead to the present.....

Twelve issue series, 6 issues per Trade, $20.00....Fucking Capitalist pigs!

Anyway, I'm not sure how this book fits in with the "All-Star" premise though. I'm not the least bit familiar with anything occuring in the "Superman" books, but this read like a maxi-series set in DC continuity.

This is not a complaint! This first issue is grand! Go buy it!

Speaking of Morrison and delays...will we ever see "Zatanna" #4?