JohnMcMahon

All-Star Superman

I enjoyed it but what's with Willy Wonka ?

You mean Doc Quintum? Yeah kinda weird. Or his assistant Agatha and her wanting to read Superman's DNA. :blink:

Just be glad his Bizarro drones didn't break into song.

Although............

Anyway, I'm not sure how this book fits in with the "All-Star" premise though. I'm not the least bit familiar with anything occuring in the "Superman" books, but this read like a maxi-series set in DC continuity.

No, it didn't, honestly. I've read precisely one in-continuity Superman solo story from the past 15 years, and even I could tell that this was light-years away from the mess they've made of the mainstream Superman universe during that period. This was timeless - the cast at the Daily Planet all present and correct (Jimmy Olsen had a rocket pack!), Luthor was a mad scientist, Clark Kent is a bumbling buffoon (but in a way which makes sense - the tripping over on the way into the office was perfect comedy, while the scene where he saves that guy on the street from the falling debris was brilliantly-executed). Superman is a selfless, inspiring, uncomplicated hero figure - just the way he should be - and Lois was smart, sexy, sassy and sensitive to just the right degree. The final-page semi-cliffhanger was aces, too - I wonder where he's going with that?

I was trying to describe this book to a friend earlier, and the best I could come up with was that it reads exactly like a classic Silver Age superhero comic would read if it were being written right now. The rapid-fire pacing, wild leaps in story logic (suddenly Superman's talking to mad scientists, who want to clone him for the good of the world? Why not!), humour-laced, brief-but-revealing character scenes, action on an epic scale (the solar rescue mission was spectacular), and straightforward "evil" villain, with a deceptively cunning plan, were all present and correct - but with the benefits of decent dialogue, richly-evocative colouring, and a slightly more sophisticated story-telling style. It was pure, iconic, all-ages fun, and I couldn't be happier with it.

All-Star Batman & Robin is crack-addled madness, and I may well end up enjoying it enormously (thus far it's had one shit issue and one pretty good one, so it's impossible to say), but this was the real deal - exactly what I'd been led to expect, delivered with the style and panache one would expect of Morrison and Quitely. It's facing some stiff competition from Seven Soldiers (the two projects combined reveal quite how absurdly vast the gulf is between Morrison and just about anyone else writing in the superhero field at the moment), but this was one of the best 'mainstream' superhero comics I've read in years, and I'm totally psyched for the next 11 issues. Whenever they may come out.

I guess I should have prefaced my remark by stating that it read like a normal Superman story SET IN THE PAST.

As I said, it reminds me more of "Lois & Clark" than the comic book.

I do have enough knowledge of Superman lore to know that Lois and Superman got married and Luthor became president.

I meant to compare it with "Batman & The Monster Men" (which also came out this week), as an example.

Contrasting with "All Star Batman" which you know is very FAR removed from anything resembling Batman continuity.

I was trying to describe this book to a friend earlier, and the best I could come up with was that it reads exactly like a classic Silver Age superhero comic would read if it were being written right now.

That about sums it up really, all I'd add is "...would read if it were being written right now and being illustrated by Jesus Christ" cause the art is glorious!

I wouldn't be at all surprised, actually - the end of this issue was quite a twist, but I'm pretty confidently expecting him to put that particular genie back into the bottle before the end of the run.

I just picked it up today. Excellent stuff!

The pacing is lightning-fast, the colourfulness of the book could probably be used to substitute for my lamp, and it's all Silver Age wacky fun! I truly did love it.

I'm just wondering: was that massive blue thing with the green anodes on his head Brainiac?

I could probably have done with marginally more actual plot - it was well-paced, but not that much actually happened - it was very much character setup, which is OK for a first issue, but hopefully the next issue should have more of the ultra-compressed, dense storytelling which is one of the best things about the old Silver Age books which Morrison seems to be taking his cue from. Still, one of the best mainstream superhero books I've read in a long time, and I'd happily give a copy to anyone, regardless of their age, knowledge of the characters, or general taste in comics, and expect most of them to like it a lot. So, I couldn't really ask for much more.

Lifesize chess board featuring Batman and Robin pieces - most ace!

...that also appears to feature a lifesize Lois - vaguely disturbing!

Comic distributers being ABSOLUTE [over-used word]S, my store didn't get enough copies of this in, and they were all out by the time Malin turned up to collect the contents of my pull list. I should be getting it either next week or the week after, but being an impatient type, I'll be looking online for a "preview" copy before then.

Huge thanks to Rogan for hooking me up with these. The best Superman stories I have read in a very VERY long time.

Mark said it all really. They're like modern renditions of Silver Age comics. Radiohead covering Pink Floyd songs. I really have nothing bad to say about the first two issues at all. I loved everything. Especially the snide little asides that a lot of people (no one on this board, though, heh) will miss; like the reference to Superman being a fascist, the little 'Superman at work' sign, the old I-wasnt-doing-anything-suspicious-in-the-little-back-room gag. Fucking loved it. The artwork is absolute class (though I do think Superman looks a little TOO rugged. The slightly parodic appearance may be deliberate though).

I am very pleased.

And what a Luthor appearance! He looked a bit like some pics of Morrison I've seen!

But I'm loving it. :biggrin:

Just read the second issue yesterday. I have one problem though his key to the Fortress of Solitude may well weigh half a million tons but what's to stop someone making a copy of it using brass or something other regular material rather than super-dense dwarf star material.

But then again you are very much supposed to suspend your disbelief at anything to do with the Fortress here, i.e. things like the baby sun-eater.

Who was J.Lo? :lol:

If the key's that dense, it's quite conceivable that there are mechanisms inside the lock which are too heavy to be moved by any "normal" key. He'd have to use his super-strength to turn the key in the lock too, then - like a double security system.

See? It's nerd-proof.

Also, what on earth would you copy it with? It'd go straight through wax.

You could use that hole it left in the ground when Superman put it down as a mould...

of course, you'd have to get TO the Fortress in the first place.

Also - SuperRobots, who appear to have went out to greet Supes as soon as they heard the key opening the door.

Well, ony if they shot lasers out their eyes, and bees out of their mouth. And were ninjas.

The lock most likelly only works for the key. Like maybe it is also made of the same material or something. And like Mark said, most likelly also requires Superman's streangth to get it to open. So all you'd be doing is standing there in the artic, breaking keys and freezing to death. :lol: