JohnMcMahon

All-Star Superman

I have one problem though his key to the Fortress of Solitude may well weigh half a million tons but what's to stop someone making a copy of it using brass or something other regular material rather than super-dense dwarf star material.

Don't you need to be able to pick up a key to copy it?

you could justuse some silly-putty and press it rally hard to the key, no? Unless you need both sides of the key, then i don't know how you would copy it...

"Peters then told Smith to have Brainiac fight polar bears at the Fortress of Solitude, demanding that the film be wall-to-wall action. Smith thought it was a stupid idea, so Peters said, "Then have Brainiac fight Superman's bodyguards!" Smith responded, "Why the hell would Superman need bodyguards?" Peters wouldn't let up, so Smith caved in and had Brainiac fight the polar bears."

Finally found a copy of #2.

Superman comes across as very sad and lonely to me....

Anyway, I don't see why Byrne would have a problem with this, as Morrison isn't writing this in a high-brow style. He's really writing it very much in a Silver Age style, without mocking that style, saying it was wonderful when a character like Superman could be this simple. The only thing he could do to make it more of an homage to the Silver Age would be to hold back on his talent as a writer. It's quite simply a really well-written Silver Age story.

Inca-My problem is how does a man from another planet get super powers from being exposed to our son? I mean, physics would obviously dispute this theory!

:lol:

Stop thinking so much and have some fun!

Yes. No one keeps Grant Morrison comics from me!

I love this series, and I never thought I'd say that about a Superman comic book.

Please don't take anything I post too seriously. It wasn't really a problem for me and it no way impaired my enjoyment of the comic.

But you've all got me thinking now and I'm determined to work out ways to breach Superman's security.

You would not necessarily need a mould or be able to pick up the key to cut a copy as it's possible to cut a copy from photgraphs where it was possible to calculate the dimensions and geometry of the key.

I'm sure ray Palmer could hide between it's molecules, and squeeze through the keyhole along with the key... :p

You've convinced me.

This comic is shoddy and ill-conceived and I will not buy it anymore, until Grant Morrison straightens his plot out so it conforms to what I know of the real world from my limited experience.

Back to more realistic fare such as books with naked women holding big swords on the cover!

I'm sure ray Palmer could hide between it's molecules, and squeeze through the keyhole along with the key... :p

Which reminds me - Rogan, that story you were telling me about earlier, with the "secret" intruder in the Fortress of Solitude is, in fact, the first story in the Showcase Presents: Superman collection. I read it earlier, and it's absolutely fantastic.

More details tomorrow. I must away to bed. But I'll say this - anyone who's enjoying All-Star Superman (and really, shouldn't that be just about everyone?) ought to do themselves a huge favour and pick up the Showcase book. It's only $9.99, contains over 500 pages of Silver Age Superman goodness, and will add massively to your enjoyment of Morrison's book. Half the best ideas in All-Star so far have been either lifted directly from, or at least obviously and heavily inspired by, the stories included here - it's the perfect companion volume. Even more gratifyingly, some dated and hokey dialogue aside, many of the stories stand up perfectly well as pop entertainment in their own right - and the art (by the likes of Curt Swan, Dick Sprang, Wayne Boring et al) is almost universally superb, with some inspired visual designs and the sort of crisp, clear panel-to-panel storytelling which depressingly few modern artists seem to have any real grasp of. It looks great in black and white, too. More superhero comics should be this way.

$9.99? Really? The Justice League volumn was $17.00.

I actually don't have the attention or patience to read Silver Age comics anymore. Morrison's writing is witty, fun, and fast. It's everything Silver Age comics, without the horrible writing holding me down.

It gets to the point where for the amount of enjoyment I still can get out of those dated stories, I can't convince myself it's worth it for the effort and time I put into getting through the story.

The Silver Age Justice League comics are just a chore to read.

$9.99? Really? The Justice League volumn was $17.00.

I actually don't have the attention or patience to read Silver Age comics anymore. Morrison's writing is witty, fun, and fast. It's everything Silver Age comics, without the horrible writing holding me down.

It gets to the point where for the amount of enjoyment I still can get out of those dated stories, I can't convince myself it's worth it for the effort and time I put into getting through the story.

The Silver Age Justice League comics are just a chore to read.

What about the old batman & Superman ones. Where they teamed up. Nothing beats Batman sitting in a bar drinking milk.. :lol:

I loved this issue #2. It had all the things that make Superman enjoyable for me - all the little trinkets and gadgets and machines and things he's discovered in his travels, the baby sun eater, the robots, the time portal thingy. I don't read much Superman at all but things like that really make the story fun for me.

Isn't Superman a bit irresponsible keeping a baby sun eater though? After what happened with the last one? Hopefully once it gets too big he'll do the right thing and take it into the yard and shoot it.

Which reminds me - Rogan, that story you were telling me about earlier, with the "secret" intruder in the Fortress of Solitude is, in fact, the first story in the Showcase Presents: Superman collection. I read it earlier, and it's absolutely fantastic.

Now i MUST find out which issue that was!

<<<EDIT>>> Chris - i just presumed that was the same one from Final Night, only all grown up, since Morrison's Supes is most likely taking place at some unnamed point in the past...

It's Action Comics #241, from June 1958. Your friend remembered it pretty much correctly.

Yeah, i keep trying to get him to come here - he hooked me on Yank comics, he's the serbioan version oh Adrian Brown, when wit and wisdom is concerned... He wrote that Captain Nitrate comic i was ranting about some 2 years ago...

Chris - i just presumed that was the same one from Final Night, only all grown up, since Morrison's Supes is most likely taking place at some unnamed point in the past...

If that was the case, wouldn't that inadvertently make Superman responsible for Final Night and the death of Hal Jordan?

I was under the impression that the Suneater from Final Night just wandered in from outer space somewhere.

Well, maybe Supes took him for a long drive in his spaceship, kicked him out in some space eqivalent of a forrest, and sped away, yelling "go on, boy, you're free now!", since he didn't have the heart to "put hi to sleep"...

Besides - last i heard, Hal Jordan is very much alive, so Supes would be responsible for what, exactly? ;)

C'mon, Inca - when did lives of normal people count for anything, in DCU, o in real life...? ;)

(And the first one to mention Holocaust here will get a series of unfortunate images in the reply to his post. You have been warned.)