JohnMcMahon

All-Star Superman

Well, sure. Hal Jordan got resurrected, but he was dead at the time.

And yeah, normal people. What Inca said.

Did any other heroes die during Final Night? I can't remember. I'd think the rest of the JLA would be pretty pissed to have a negligent Superman on the team.

I'd be well pissed of to learn that he'd adopted a sun-eater and fed it until it grew large enough to cause a global catastrophe that nearly wiped out the entire human race.

c'mon, folks, he's Superman...

Seriously, how could you stay mad at this face :

superman%20for%20blog.jpg

Chris - i just presumed that was the same one from Final Night, only all grown up, since Morrison's Supes is most likely taking place at some unnamed point in the past...

If that was the case, wouldn't that inadvertently make Superman responsible for Final Night and the death of Hal Jordan?

I was under the impression that the Suneater from Final Night just wandered in from outer space somewhere.

All Star Superman is out of continuity.

Was surprised to see #3 on the stands this week! Wasn't expecting it!

Something was....off about this issue.

The first two issues read as an homage to Silver Age comics. This one read like a parody of Silver Age comics to me.

I had just finished reading "Marvel Romance Redux" (yeah, I read that! Want to make something of it?!) when I started A.S. Superman #3, and I kept thinking, Morrison is plugging tongue-in-cheek dialogue over art done for a serious story (which is the premise of Romance Redux).

Still, a fun comic, even if I didn't feel the same love for the 1960s I felt in issues #1 & 2.

While I'm loving Quitely's art on this generally, there are a few panels here and there where the digital inking seems to be screwing things up slightly. Shame, because when it all comes together, this is some of the best work he's ever done. That full-page shot of the kiss on the moon, in particular, was absolutely glorious.

Otherwise, this was just another great issue - not much more to say, really. Close to perfection, and long may it continue.

While I'm loving Quitely's art on this generally, there are a few panels here and there where the digital inking seems to be screwing things up slightly. Shame, because when it all comes together, this is some of the best work he's ever done. That full-page shot of the kiss on the moon, in particular, was absolutely glorious.

Otherwise, this was just another great issue - not much more to say, really. Close to perfection, and long may it continue.

aye, I'm no fan of the digital inking stuff. I didn't like it in We3 and I don't like it here. the printing process is not detailed enough to catch all the details, it seems.

Yeah - most of it looks good, and it's obvious that the pencilled art is fucking stunning, but you get the impression that something's been lost between the pencils and the finished page. I thought it worked better in WE3, to be honest - I don't know what the difference is here.

I should stress that, even allowing for that minor quibble, All-Star Superman is already one of my favourite superhero comics ever, and thus far, it's gotten better with every issue. So any grumbling should be read with that in mind.

"Krull will eat your chill-drunn!"=ROCK.

Yeah - most of it looks good, and it's obvious that the pencilled art is fucking stunning, but you get the impression that something's been lost between the pencils and the finished page. I thought it worked better in WE3, to be honest - I don't know what the difference is here.

I should stress that, even allowing for that minor quibble, All-Star Superman is already one of my favourite superhero comics ever, and thus far, it's gotten better with every issue. So any grumbling should be read with that in mind.

"Krull will eat your chill-drunn!"=ROCK.

What he said, but with extra compliments for Quitely's rendition of Lois Lane's bum.

I'm looking forwards to the collection of this one.

I was toying with waiting for the TPB, but honestly, the wait between issues isn't really bothering me so far - because each issue is a stand-alone story, it's not as though we're being left on tenterhooks for months at a time, waiting for the resolution to a story. There are, I believe, going to be two 2-part stories over the 12-issue run, and the lengthy gap between installments will doubtless be annoying for those, but otherwise, it's just like getting a complete new Superman story every couple of months, making it easy to forget about the wait in-between.

I'll probably end up buying the inevitable Absolute All-Star Superman hardback in a few years' time, though, because the book is absolutely gorgeous, and deserves to be read in the best format possible. I'd be keen to see a few extra features, too - given how distinctive the 'look' of the art is, a glimpse of Quitely's design sketches would be interesting.

Has Superman already started his twelve trials ? Wasn't sure if the Sphynx's question was meant to be the one mentioned by..er...one of the muscleheads.

Has Superman already started his twelve trials ?  Wasn't sure if the Sphynx's question was meant to be the one mentioned by..er...one of the muscleheads.

Well, twelve issues... I'd guess that'd be one trial per issue. Though I'm kind of struggling to figure out the "underverse" thing. I guess it's reasonably probable there'll be a few to get squished into one issue, though.

Nice to see a proper arc developing, mind - I was very slightly twitchy about the prospect of just having twelve self-contained stories, cool though I was sure they'd be :)

A loosely-connected thematic 'arc' doesn't preclude most/all of the stories being stand-alone, though. I didn't see any more evidence of the ongoing arc here than in the previous three issues, either - the first issue established the "Superman's dying/becoming ludicrously powerful" theme, and had him "outing" himself to Lois, the second one carried that thread on nicely, setting up for issue #3...it's not exactly driven by a strong narrative thread, but there is definite continuity from issue to issue. Just the way it should be.

I don't know about a literal "one trial per issue" structure - I can't figure out what the trial was last issue, for a start - but yeah, solving the Ultrasphynx's riddle was definitely one of the twelve. That's why Samson and Atlas tricked Superman into being there - they knew he was going to solve the riddle, so needed him to save their wretched hides.

Did you notice the advert from the newspaper, shown on the last page, by the way? "What happens when the unstopabble force meets the immovable object? Surrender to the new Luxus Samaritan"? I think that's why Superman laughed before solving the riddle - just a couple of pages earlier, he'd been scanning that very newspaper (check his eye in the last panel of the page where he's shown the paper - it's whited-out, implying that he's using his x-ray vision). The cheeky bugger cheated...

Did you notice the advert from the newspaper, shown on the last page, by the way? "What happens when the unstopabble force meets the immovable object? Surrender to the new Luxus Samaritan"? I think that's why Superman laughed before solving the riddle - just a couple of pages earlier, he'd been scanning that very newspaper (check his eye in the last panel of the page where he's shown the paper - it's whited-out, implying that he's using his x-ray vision). The cheeky bugger cheated...

You are entirely too sharp for your own good. Damn you :D

God is in the details, my friend. Especially with Morrison/Quitely. On a similarly subtle, (although less significant, plot-wise) note, did you spot that Lois' dress in issue #2 was a touch too long for her when she went barefoot, but would have fitted perfectly if she'd worn the matching heels which were shown abandoned on a pillow in her room? That's the sort of attention to detail which is worth a few extra weeks between issues, for my money).

:icon_redface: Thank you, kind sir (you'll find the bundle of used fivers in the usual place).

Credit for spotting the thing with Lois' dress goes to Malin, by the way - she pointed it out to me in one of the most incredibly geeky conversations I think I've ever taken part in (we spent about 2-3 hours going over every conceivable aspect of All-Star Superman #2 in painful detail one afternoon last month).

My girlfriend is great.