JohnMcMahon

All-Star Superman

Issue #4 was lots of fun.

Great homage to the Jimmy Olsen series of the Golden Age.

And Quitely was on point. There were a couple panels in particular where I thought he captured the look of Superman better than anyone ever has.

This is just a really fun, well made series that continues to bring me enjoyment.

Whoops! I forgot this had its own thread....With a bi-monthly book, it's hard to remember there's a thread for it between issues. I posted my thoughts in "Comics I Read" section.

But, to sum up:

Grant Morrison is my drug!

All Star Superman #4-There were so many ideas packed into this issue, it was like an overload! Fuck LSD and mind-altering drugs. You want to expand your conciousness? Read All-Star Superman a couple of times straight through. It'll blow your mind, man.

I love this series so much! Grant Morrison is having so much fun writing this, it just comes through the pages, and you have so much fun reading it.

Thank you for fixing the Forum for us.

Thank you for using me in your quote.

I knew with Jay gone for so long, it wasn't long before your obsession was directed at me!

Okay, what did you guys think, because I found the new issue to be the best one so far. This was just an exellent read, and I'm going back to count how many pages are in this book because it seemed rather long and highly pleasing. I can't even point out why I liked this issue so much, I just think it's the best ASSuperman thus far.

What you guys think? Can't wait for next issue!

edit: heh heh... 23 pages :lol:

It had the WildStorm preview which made it seem longer.

I really liked it. Silver Age goodness at its best.

It wasn't my favourite issue, but it was highly fun.

I love this series so much!

Can I pick this up at #5? Will I have missed a lot? Should I wait indefinitely for the trade?

This sneaks in as the best comic of August for sure. This is a fun book to read.

If you like this you may want to check out JLA:Earth2.

You COULD pick it up at #5.

All you need to know is that Superman sent Lex Luthor to jail in issue #1. Besides that, it's a self-contained story, with a wider over-arching story-arc, that loosely connects each issue.

You'd be missing the first 4 issues though, and they're more than worth your time.

You must have it all. Wait for the trade or try and score the previous issues. Do they go for a lot?

Bearing in mind that the book's not even coming out monthly and that DC will probably do a hardcover before they do a TPB you could be waiting a long time for the trade.

Give me your e-mail address and I'll send you the first three issues electronically if you want.

But as Christian says, all you have to know is:

a- Lex was sent to prison in issue 1.

b- Superman got too close to the sun, giving him a new superpower (the ability to extend his protective aura around other objects) but causing him to slowly die in the process.

c- Lois knows his secret.

could you send them to me too james??

heres my email: jonapg@gmail.com

Clark's "you dropped this earliar distraction actually works"!

I didn't really see Lex drop it at all, so it was a deliberate distraction on Clarks part.

Using the Parasite as an ominous indication of what is to or has happened to Superman was great too.

I can only assume that Clark's underworld adventure begins here.

This issue is my single answer to how poorly Lex Luthor was handled in the latest film.

I just think it's the best ASSuperman thus far.

This shortening of the title had me laughing my ASSoff.

Brilliant issue on so many levels.

Easily the best of August (take that Mouse Gaurd!).

Good point about Lex, Testy.

All the distractions were hilarious and smart; Lex's "Superman S-curl eyebrow" that he applied to himself at the end was a nice bit of humor; the reveal of Superman's physical state via the Parasite was genius; Quitely's art was amazing, and he really made Clark Kent more than just Superman in glasses; the overall feel, that of a modern homage to the Golden Age Superman is perfectly on target; and the Wildstorm preview has me geeked for all the new writers (even if they're paired with "Image" style artists).

This title is rapidly becoming one of my favorite Morrison efforts.

9.9/10

the overall feel, that of a modern homage to the Golden Age Superman is perfectly on target;

[nitpick]You mean Silver Age. The Golden Age Superman was very, very different* - this is pure '50s/'60s Mort Weisinger-era Superman, which puts it right at the heart of the Silver Age.[/nitpick]

Otherwise, I agree with just about everything everyone's already said about this one. Possibly the best issue to date, and Superman never even put his costume on (the baboon, though....PURE GOLD). Some of the best art of Quitely's career, too - the subtle details in the story-telling (Clark's 'clumsiness' saving Luthor's life was beautifully-executed, every time, and the sequence where he creates the earthquake, sending Parasite crashing through the gutters between panels, is one of the best visual sequences I've seen in ages) make this book an endless joy to re-read.

Hands-down my favourite comic being produced at the moment, from any publisher, and by a comfortable distance the best Superman comic ever.

*Just as an example of what the Golden Age Superman was like, there are scans of the complete Action Comics #1, featuring the first appearance of the character, available here. The '40s-era version of the character was pretty much like this, and it's surprising how different he 'feels' from the way he'd be written later - much more of an imposing, aggressive physical presence, with a grittily violent, down-to-earth approach to fighting crime and corruption which was phased out by the 1950s, in favour of wildly imaginative, crack-addled sci-fi and fantasy stories, such as those reprinted in the Showcase Presents: Superman collections.

Bearing in mind that the book's not even coming out monthly and that DC will probably do a hardcover before they do a TPB you could be waiting a long time for the trade.

Give me your e-mail address and I'll send you the first three issues electronically if you want.

But as Christian says, all you have to know is:

a- Lex was sent to prison in issue 1.

b- Superman got too close to the sun, giving him a new superpower (the ability to extend his protective aura around other objects) but causing him to slowly die in the process.

c- Lois knows his secret.

Thanks. My email address is yining.su@gmail.com.

"Lex. My shorthand can't handle the volume."

Laugh out loud funny.

Great issue.

I think Lex knows Clark is Superman. Everything just seemed to play into Lex's hand a bit too well. Could Lex have put it all together so he could mess with Superman and gloat about how he has caused his death?

I think Lex knows Clark is Superman. Everything just seemed to play into Lex's hand a bit too well. Could Lex have put it all together so he could mess with Superman and gloat about how he has caused his death?

I got that feeling too, yeah.