lyra

Big books of comics

lyra    0

your brother must DIE. I agree with you on Jaime Hernandez' artwork. the more recent stuff he's doing in Love& Rockets vol.2 (you can see some of it in the Dicks & Deedes collection, and the upcoming Ghosts of Hoppers collection) is even sharper.

Thanks for the tip about the Dicks and Deeds collection and the upcoming Ghosts of Hopper. I just ordered Dicks and Deeds and Luba comes to America along with Crumb Draws the Blues.

GenGris    0

Have any of you seen the "Devil May Cry" series? Someone sent me a coupla of pages .... over YM.... and I want to find out very quickly what it is about .....

from what i was told, it sounds like this guy, Black Sparda (?I wonder if I got the name right) is the son of the devil ....

sethos    5
Have any of you seen the "Devil May Cry" series?  Someone sent me a coupla of pages .... over YM.... and I want to find out very quickly what it is about .....

from what i was told, it sounds like this guy, Black Sparda (?I wonder if I got the name right) is the son of the devil ....

I don't know the manga, but I played the first Devil May Cry PS2 game (on which the manga is based) to death. excellent stuff, though hard as nails.

lyra    0

This looks like and interesting graphic novel.

1896597890.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

From Publishers Weekly

In 2001, French-Canadian cartoonist Delisle traveled to North Korea on a work visa to supervise the animation of a children's cartoon show for two months. While there, he got a rare chance to observe firsthand one of the last remaining totalitarian Communist societies. He also got crappy ice cream, a barrage of propaganda and a chance to fly paper airplanes out of his 15th-floor hotel window. Combining a gift for anecdote and an ear for absurd dialogue, Delisle's retelling of his adventures makes a gently humorous counterpoint to the daily news stories about the axis of evil, a Lost in Translation for the Communist world. Delisle shifts between accounts of his work as an animator and life as a visitor in a country where all foreigners take up only two floors of a 50-story hotel. Delisle's simple but expressive art works well with his account, humanizing the few North Koreans he gets to know (including "Comrade Guide" and "Comrade Translator"), and facilitating digressions into North Korean history and various bizarre happenings involving brandy and bear cubs.

Christian    734

hmm.....As long as it isn't too propagandistic, I would very much like to read that book. Never heard of it!

I knew someone who went to North Korea under the current regime and how bizarre it is to be there.

He was appearing as a celebrity, so he was supposed to give a big "going away" speech before he left. His guide told him, "His most glorious and most knowledgable of movies (or whatever he was referring to himself as on that day) requests that you tell all the people how wonderful it is seeing a true worker's paradise and that you wish you didn't have to go back to the awful Captailist prison known as the United States."

The guy said "Thanks for having me. You're great people." and took off for the plane as fast as he could run.

:lol:

lyra    0

It reminds me of a termite hill.

I remember reading that some foreigners staying at the hotel noted there were no old people in Pyongyang. The next day an old woman appeared and walked past the hotel this continued as a sort of daily ritual. You have to receive special permission to stay within the city which is exclusive to party members. I guess old people are not allowed in the city.

Hmpf    0

Here's some more totalitarian architectue to be baffled and creeped out by. Oddly enough, it was also intended as a kind of hotel. It was intended as a nazi holiday camp thingy in Prora on the island of Rügen, in the Baltic Sea. It's 8 km long:

http://www.ddr-im-www.de/Berichte/MWulf/Prora/prora2.jpg

http://www.ddr-im-www.de/Berichte/MWulf/Prora/prora3.jpg

Another pic

I've been there - it's huge, empty, and creepy.

The Korean hotel pic, btw, looks like something out of my dreams/nightmares. It's weird - just yesterday night I made a list of imagery from comics, animation, movies and books that gives me a strong 'this has something to do with my subconscious' vibe, and mammoth empty buildings were one of the bits of imagery I came up with. That's what I like about comics like Blame, Les Cités Obscures, and others.

lyra    0

picked up quite a few Joe Sacco graphic novels yesterday after reading his Palestine.

"Safe Area Gorazde: The War in Eastern Bosnia 1992-1995"

1560974702.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,32,-59_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"Notes from a Defeatist"

"War's End: Profiles From Bosnia 1995-1996"

1896597920.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Fixer : A Story from Sarajevo

That east german apartment complex looks like a giant medieval city wall.

sethos    5

Safe Area Gorazde is a fantastic book, depressing as hell though: it's hard to take in some of the things people do to each other...

GenGris    0

Thanks Seth.

Yes, I was told that the game was interesting but having two left hands (or so I think sometimes), games that require too much hand-eye coordination are tough for me to play.

And I finally got another HB trade so hard to get them here.

I got Holy Sepulcher and Rake at the Gates of Hell... and another Sandman - The one with the 7 Endless stories. I just realized that Destruction was drawn what a Hunk would look like ....

Spain    66

This was a present I gave to my girlfriend, but she has lent them to me:

blacksad01.jpg

blacksad2.jpg

Blacksad, both volumes. Pure gold. It's like an Orwellian Bogart.

Oldmoore    0

wolverine enemy of the state Volume one

Art isn´t mine favourite. Senior Romita was better. Storylineplot (Wolvie´s mission) was like creating the wheel new! But how he got there was quite interesting.

One of the X´s dies by his claws (But for how long?) but lot a involved for a Wovlerine solo! CAP, Nick Fury, Iron Man, Hydra, Daredevil Elektra etc.

Somehow I liked it. Maybe it´s the paranoid discussion in Wolverine´s thoughts!

Remembers me also a lot based on elements of the x 2 movie or better to say a few ideas mixed up.

Coming soon the next TPB (because it´s an 12 issues series) and I just read Vol 1.

To complete it I´m going to read the Volume Two also! Could be worse but I don´t hope so!

sethos    5

you know, I really didn't care much about the story in Black Sad 1 and 2. The art is stunning, yes, but the story is a bit run of the mill.

lyra    0

I won a really neat lot of Daniel Clowes graphic novels.

The Imp

Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron

Orgy Bound

Pussey

Lout Rampage

The Official Lloyd Llewellyn collection

sethos    5
I won a really neat lot of Daniel Clowes graphic novels.

The Imp

Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron

Orgy Bound

Pussey

Lout Rampage

The Official Lloyd Llewellyn collection

damn! The Imp is quite rare. I'm jealous now... then again, my Velvet Glove, Lout Rampage and Ghost World are signed so I guess I'll survive.. barely :lol:

lyra    0

[

damn! The Imp is quite rare. I'm jealous now... then again, my Velvet Glove, Lout Rampage and Ghost World are signed so I guess I'll survive.. barely :lol:

hey, send me your address I'll give you IMP once I'm done reading it. Your quite helpful and I would be more than happy to give your the comic.

sethos    5

hey, send me your address I'll give you IMP once I'm done reading it. Your quite helpful and I would be more than happy to give your the comic.

AWESOME! I love this message board :biggrin:

Since my Comics' Shoppe was having its annual sale, I made off with some good merchandise:

Fables: Legends in Exile

Fables: Animal Farm

Transmetropolitan: Gouge Away

Transmetropolitan: Spider's Thrash

Catwoman: Dark End of the Streets

Hellblazer: Black Flowers

Mark    332
JLA One Million

JLA Justice For All

Thing is I'm fairly sure I went in for something else.

One Million is definitely my least favourite of Morrison's JLA stories - it's fairly bitty, due in part to the usual multi-writer crossover syndrome, and suffers from missing a number of issues which were part of the original crossover, but it's still got a lot to recommend it (mainly the introduction of Solaris, The Tyrant Sun, who I firmly believe to be one of the best comic book villains ever). I've got a few of the earlier Morrison JLA trades if you want to borrow them, including the absolutely marvellous Earth 2, with art by Quitely...

Christian    734

Didn't they re-do that Trade recently though, Mark? Or, are you referring to the new edition?

I thought it was perfectly acceptable, but nothing great.

Mark    332

They may have done - it's been a while since I read it, so if there's a new trade I have no idea what else is in it. The original trade definitely suffered from the absence of certain important plot sequences, though.

It's not a great book, but as I said, it has a few good moments which are well worth reading. The mixture of several divergent art and writing styles hampers the book badly though, and the plot has definite "written-by-committee" thumbprints all over it.