lyra

Big books of comics

Mickey Eye    153

Oh I'll borrow it. It's worth mentioning that I have had very little to do with any DC hero stuff ever before Seven Soldiers wandered along. And me buying Justice League is entirely down to Mark lending me his JLU episodes. That and GM wrote it.

I can see what your saying about One Million but I still found it enjoyable overall, probably freshness value.

Pooka    770
Best of American Splendor

American Splendor Our Cancer Year

American Splendor : Unsung Hero

The Boulevard of Broken Dreams

American Splendor Our Movie Year

I am reading some American Splendor at the moment, which I'm quite enjoying. At first I wasn't so sure, because he's a whiny bastard, but I do like his little, run down world and his lifestyle. It's nice to pick up and read in short bursts.

sethos    5

Pooka, if you like that kind of storytelling, I recommend getting "A Complete Lowlife" by Ed Brubaker. excellent semi-autobiographical stories (though the art is only so-so).

EDIT: way more drugs than American Splendor ever had though...

Pooka    770

I'll look out for it, but it depends what's in the library, I'm afraid.

But if it's there, I'll 'ave it.

Black Orchid was very nice indeed. With some gorgeous McKean artwork to accompany it, and crossovers aplenty that were quite toothsome to this comic-lover.

I haven't read and of Gaiman/Moore's work on Miracleman. Apparently I'm a horrible person because of this.

Christian    734

Yes. Yes, you are.

"Miracleman:The Apocrypha" is actually a bunch of short stories by different writers and artists with a "framing sequence" written by Gaiman, so it's not technically a Gaiman Miracleman book.

Luís    0

Yeah, but I preferred the Gaiman bits above everyone else's. Typical Gaiman, of course, with his fetish for libraries :biggrin:

It seems like everyone who was someone back then (or was going to be) contributed for the comic: it made my day to see some pre-Marvels art by Alex Ross...

lyra    0

I've never read Mircleman either. Do you need to read the entire storyline or just buy few graphic novels with the better stories?

Christian    734

It's all gold.

It's really divided into two parts. There is the first section, which is written by Alan Moore and then the second section written by Neil Gaiman (collected in the "Golden Age" TPB). Unfortunately, the series was never completed as the publisher went out of business before Gaiman could finish the series.

OK, the bad news is the Trades are very rare and the individual issues are very expensive.

If you were to only read one "Miracleman" Trade, I'd recommend reading Gaiman's "Golden Age" issues. The Trade usually goes for anywhere from $30-$75 though.

Mark    332
It's all gold.

It's really divided into two parts. There is the first section, which is written by Alan Moore and then the second section written by Neil Gaiman (collected in the "Golden Age" TPB). Unfortunately, the series was never completed as the publisher went out of business before Gaiman could finish the series.

OK, the bad news is the Trades are very rare and the individual issues are very expensive.

If you were to only read one "Miracleman" Trade, I'd recommend reading Gaiman's "Golden Age" issues. The Trade usually goes for anywhere from $30-$75 though.

I'd go for the Moore bits myself, but it's all good really. There's a plausible case to be made that it's close to the best thing either of them ever wrote.

lyra    0

I take it the reason Miracleman is no longer in print is due to the Chapter 11 filing by McFarlane's bankruptcy. Do you think Miracleman will go back in print once it is all settled? Damn you Todd!

I guess, I'll try and save some money to buy them in a few months. They are quite expensive the graphic novels go for more than the individual comics.

Luís    0

I think the tpb's have been out of print for quite some time now.

Now I'm curious: is Apocrypha one of those ultra-rare, ultra-expensive MM comics too? Did I get lucky getting it for just $8, or are there heaps of copies lying around in comic shops costing less than a quarter?

lyra    0

The big hope is once Neil Gaiman gets control back of Miracle Man his joint company with Marvel will reprint the entire storyline.

It is this thin shred of the possibility of a reprint that may hold me back from buying the old issues.

sethos    5
I think the tpb's have been out of print for quite some time now.

Now I'm curious: is Apocrypha one of those ultra-rare, ultra-expensive MM comics too? Did I get lucky getting it for just $8, or are there heaps of copies lying around in comic shops costing less than a quarter?

that one is actually the only one that is still somewhat available in a legal way. torrents of the entire series pop up quite regularly, though.

Luís    0

Gosh darn it! And I was so ready to feel special for owning a copy... alas, it was not meant to be... I'm a mere dork, after all :sad:

Speaking of (il)legal ways, I could swear I once saw a site containing every Miracleman issue, page by page; this really stuck in my mind because the first one I clicked on was the uber-famous birth-giving scene :blink:

And I believe I got the link from one of us, back in the old forum days.

It would be ironic if Marvel published MM, after they forced the change from Marvel to Miracle in the first place. Even more ironic considering Moore has always refused to work for the House of Ideas because of this case.

Fuck it, I just want to see it back in print!

Christian    734

Rogan sent me a CD with the Alan Moore issues of "Miracleman" and the ultra-rare, never published first issue of Neil Gaiman's "The Dark Ages" chapter of M.M.

So, there are sites out there with ALL the "Miracleman" comics for downloading, if you know about that sort of thing.

And technically, Moore did work for Marvel in the early-80s with "Captain Britain". But, I guess that was before the "Miracleman" stuff occured?

lyra    0

A question about "Like A velvet glove cast in iron", was Tina's mutation caused by the pollution in the lake or was due to the fathers genes? The mother constantly ponders why she turned out so ugly, just wondering.

sethos    5
A question about "Like A velvet glove cast in iron", was Tina's mutation caused by the pollution in the lake or was due to the fathers genes? The mother constantly ponders why she turned out so ugly, just wondering.

I think the idea is that her dad was some sort of merman... but really, who the fuck understands everything about Like A Velvet Glove Cast in Iron? :lol:

TheMojoPin    0

Watchmen Absolute Edition out now!

I picked a copy up yesterday, but have yet to open it. I've simply been leering at it perversely and licking my chops, so I can't report on the supposed "new coloring" approved by Dave Gibbons.

The slipcase looks pretty, though. Enough so that I've happily given up my quest to find the old leatherbound edition on eBay for less than $160.

lyra    0

Wow, the Watchman absolute edition looks fantastic.

"Absolute” format and recolored by original colorist John Higgins. The edition is being produced with the blessing of Alan Moore.

The edition will run 464 pages (and will also double as a blunt object if need be), and will be a complete reprinting not of the original series as published by DC, but of the Graphitti edition, a collection published by Graphitti in the late ‘80s that included 48 pages of extra material.

Speaking of the artist, we spoke with Gibbons briefly about the forthcoming collection. As many already confess to be, Gibbons is also a fan of the publisher’s “Absolute” format, and was thrilled when he learned that DC wanted top present Watchmen in this manner.

“As an artist, I love the Absolute books,” Gibbons said. “The pages have much more impact at the large size and the production values are first rate. In fact, many of the foreign editions of Watchmen were done at this larger, album size, so I have a really good idea of how it will look already.

“The Absolute volume also gives us the chance to digitally remaster the coloring and correct a few mistakes that have always bugged us. We're not going to redraw or change the look of the book in any way; we'll just bring it closer to what we had in mind all those years ago.

”The coloring is being exactly reproduced from the regular edition, then original colorist John Higgins is tweaking the digital files before sending them to me for final approval. Back in the day, John lived a few miles away from me and would bring color guides over to discuss with me. Today, he lives a few miles from DC and is in close contact with them on technical matters, whilst thanks to the wonders of technology; I get daily pages for approval.

”Everything is looking really good, crisper and more vibrant than ever and it's great to be working with John again.”

Gibbons won’t be adding any new material for the upcoming edition, but he will be designing the package, giving it an authentic feel. “The material that has only so far appeared in the Graphitti hardcover edition will include many sketches, designs, the original pitch, script pages and an ‘outro’ by Alan and I. Most of the readers won't have seen this before.”

As the 2004 Bookscan numbers attested (and agreed with years before), despite closing in on twenty years old, the collected edition of the 12-issue series continues to be a best seller for DC, and to the continual surprise of Gibbons. “All we ever set out to do was a comic book we'd like to read,” the artist said. “It's gratifying to see that others continue to do so.

“I think it's become one of those books that are recommended reading for people just getting in to comics. The fact that it's self-contained is a bonus, since no previous knowledge of continuity is required and it has a clear resolution.”

And of course, as part of that, Watchmen, to this day, continues generating revenue for its creators. Or, as Gibbons puts it: “It keeps selling, so we keep getting checks!”

For the foreseeable future, Absolute Watchmen will be Gibbons’ only involvement with the property, as he has nothing to do with the currently in-production film based on the comic. "

lyra    0

I think the idea is that her dad was some sort of merman... but really, who the fuck understands everything about Like A Velvet Glove Cast in Iron? :lol:

I also thought the father of tina was a Merman but I think the river pollution had a lot to due with Tina's appearance.

Mercury727    5

Just got the second trade of the Walking Dead as well as Hellboy: Conqueror Worm, so now I am in the conundrum of which one to read first? Mmm :rolleyes: