lyra

Big books of comics

sethos    5

jesus christ, the Watchmen Absolute Edition looks AWESOME. now where do I find 75 bucks? :-?

Shawn    297
JSA Allstars-good, not great. Cool cover by John Cassidy. This was not as good as the monthly JSA, but as a miniseries it is solid. It collects the bumpers, beginning and end, and the middle stuff which is 1 shots feature current and past versions of various members. The main plot of the JSAers having to face their demons and go up against some loser villian I did not know was a bit weak, but it was all worth it to see art on the bumpers by Sal Velluto. The middle consisted of a few issues made up of 2 shorts stories, one current and one past. A few examples: Darwyn Cooke on Dr. Fate (Kent Nelson), Mike McKone on Stargirl, Tony Harris on Starman (Ted Knight), Howard Chakin on Hourman (Rex Tyler) and Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso on Dr. Mid-Nite (Charles McNider), Michael Chabon and Michael Lark on Mr. Terrific (Terry Sloane).

James    38
Speaking of (il)legal ways, I could swear I once saw a site containing every Miracleman issue, page by page; this really stuck in my mind because the first one I clicked on was the uber-famous birth-giving scene  :blink:

And I believe I got the link from one of us, back in the old forum days!

Yup, you did. That site got taken down ages ago, though, after Rich Johnston put it up on his site.

Hmpf    0

Recent additions to my library - due to a number of unusual circumstances I got a lot of comics for free, or nearly for free recently:

Naru Taru 1-2, 4-6, 8-10 - got all of this except for volume 1 for about 20 euros, used. Haven't read anything but the first two volumes yet. It's bizarre, but in a good way... I think. Need to read more for a final assessment, of course.

Planetes 1 - another manga, and one I got absolutely for free, just like the next one:

20th Century Boys 1 - I discovered this great website where you can exchange books you don't want anymore for books other people don't want anymore. Someone happened not to want Planetes 1 and 20th Century Boys 1 anymore. :-)

Now, some French stuff:

Les cités obscures: la fièvre d'Urbicande... and:

Monsieur Mardi-Gras Descendres 2 - This series absolutely stunning. Or at least the art is. I haven't read it yet. But I nearly had a heart attack from exposure to an overdose of beauty from looking at the art. Unfortunately none of the really amazing pages is available online. :-(

Got the two French comics in payment for an old phone bill from a French former roommate of mine. So, technically, I did pay them, but I paid them last year, so it doesn't hurt me now. *g*

wolvy    57

Daredevil: Born Again. I really liked the way Miller handled Daredevils hyper keen senses. It was very good.

sethos    5
Daredevil: Born Again. I really liked the way Miller handled Daredevils hyper keen senses. It was very good.

still my favourite Daredevil story. Miller was at his best back then with this, Batman Year One, Elektra Lives Again, Elektra Assassin and The Dark Knight Returns all dropping in a three year period, I think. amazing.

Christian    734

Yes, that's my favourite D.D. story and one of my favourite Frank Miller stories.

That was just superb and showed an incredibly talented writer at his peak.

As near to perfection a comic I can find, when pacing is concerned.

wolvy    57

Tho I was a bit annoyed with how Miller had Matt mention that he was blinded by radiaiton like 3x.

[ Spoiler :

The ending was a bit ok. I mean it was great. But I wouldv loved it more if DD after getting his step back, whooped the hell out of Fisk. DD wise, and Matt Murdock in court wise. Like have him go bankrupt and put Kingpin on the same level that Matt was when he started screwing with all of Matts friends and money.

]

Christian    734

That story-line does eventually happen, although by a piss-poor writer, later in the series. "The Fall of the Kingpin".

Also, Bendis did do that story-line, sort of, recently when D.D. became the new Kingpin of Hell's Kitchen.

I guess having read later stories, I was sort of glad Miller's ended the way it did, because it kept a very original bent to the ending of "Born Again".

wolvy    57

You mean the Ann Nocinite issues. She actually had a few good issues. Like DD and Bullseye switching costumes and beating the hell out of each other.

I have yet to get the rest of the Miller trades, and the Bendis stuff. I'm currently waiting for a job, and The Murdock Papers to end.

I did love Millers use of Matt's Hyper keen senses, and how he handled the character. Tho now I think if he did it, He prolly would screw the character up, because he's no longer in his prime, and would prolly do it because he is tired of people talking about his old work.

Christian    734

No, not Anne Nocenti's run. The run after her.

Nocenti's run ended with Kingpin still in power.

I love Anne Nocenti's work on D.D. I might even enjoy it overall more than Frank Miller's actually.

wolvy    57
No, not Anne Nocenti's run. The run after her.

Nocenti's run ended with Kingpin still in power.

I love Anne Nocenti's work on D.D. I might even enjoy it overall more than Frank Miller's actually.

D.B Chesters?

Or the run that had multipile writers on it. Like Joe Casey, Denny O'Neil, etc etc.

And The kingpin was still in Power, but Matt used Hydra to bankrupt, him, and also tricked Typhoid Marry into getting commited to a mental ward. Of which that really destroyed Matt. I mean he felt god awful for that. He was throwing up.

Frank Millers run was really good. Tho I only read Born Again. I still Visionaires, Essentail Daredevil 1-3, and then Anne Nocenti's run, and maybe Db Chesters stuff, then the Bendis stuff. I heard Echo Vision quest pissed off a few people. I really can't wait till Brubaker starts. I mean he has a gritty writing style that is very similiar to Millers style. And the new artist is awesome. I saw his stuff on Captain america. He is a bit like Maleev, but only way better. And fits DD better.

TheMojoPin    0

Picked up the new The Pulse trade by Bendis today. I quite like it, but now that the former Alias artist is on the title, it makes me REALLY miss the MAX adventures of Jessica Jones. But I really, REALLY like how Bendis write Luke Cage. Loads of fun.

So, yeah, nothing too deep for me. Fluff!

Christian    734

"D.B Chesters?"

Yeah, him. Or, something like that.

"And The kingpin was still in Power, but Matt used Hydra to bankrupt, him, and also tricked Typhoid Marry into getting commited to a mental ward. Of which that really destroyed Matt. I mean he felt god awful for that. He was throwing up. "

I have no idea what this is from. It must be when I stopped reading the book.

Did you ever read the "Typhoid Mary" mini-series written by Nocenti? If you haven't, it's very much worth your time to hunt down. Horribly over-priced ($4 for a regular sized issue and this was like 1995!!!) and never traded, but a damn good read.

wolvy    57

Hear Nocetes run was actually pretty good. Heard Db CHesters was ok. But most people tend to Mention Nocentis and Milelrs the most. Mainly Millers. Due to Born Again.

lyra    0
I picked up these this week....

QUITCvHCCLR1-copy.jpg

How was the new Harvey PEkar issue? If I had a real comic book store that just didn't stock Marvel, DC and Image I'd of picked it up this week. I know DC released it which is great for Harvey.

Here is what I picked up this week 1569713332.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg1569712824.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I used to have the entire series from his first appearance to the most recent issue but I sold them off two years ago. The art work reminds me of Pettibon the artist who did covers for Black Flagg and Sonic Youth.

Spain    66

Recent graphic novel:

The Sandman: Endless Nights

Beautiful. My favourite portrait of Desire is in that book (Milo Manara, yeah he rocks!!). And the first Despair, and Delight are in it, too. Really beautiful.

Mickey Eye    153

Green Arrow: Quiver

Dragged a bit in the middle, but otherwise it's probably one of the better ways to bring a character back to life. Also a tasty morsel of Sandman mythos being used nicely.

Kris    0
How was the new Harvey PEkar issue? If I had a real comic book store that just didn't stock Marvel, DC and Image I'd of picked it up this week. I  know DC released it which is great for Harvey.

I been holding my response to you for a wee while until i actually got up to speed with my reading habits, as they've been lagging behind for a few weeks...

It was well worth the money, it basically tells the story of Pekar's younger days growing up in Cleveland and goes into detail about his education, his preoccupations with street fighting and record collecting and all the various jobs he has had.

Would make an excellent film too if it ever got made, just like American Splendor was.

Avaunt    274
And, does manga count, as well?

manga counts for double doesn't it?. double and a half if it is hentai!. :tongue:

To see my entire comic collection, go here:

http://www.allabouthmpf.com/books.htm (you have to scroll down a bit.)

mate, many of those books are in some Johnny Foreigner language ? ? ! ! ?.

What good is that to a bloke, eh?.

:rolleyes:

Nice collection mate, and you drink BEER too, in your part of the globe?.

*Packs bag, buys ticket to Hmpfland*

Red    467

Mark recently lent me Batman: Year one by Frank Miller. Now, I have to say I'm definitely not a Batman fan, but this story was very well-written. I liked the emphasis on making Batman a realistic character, not really a superhero. (Well, as realistic as a cape-wearing superhero can be, anyway...)

Frank Miller is actually very good when he writes about believable characters, with real emotions. He's way worse when he goes over-the-top testosterone-driven. (Sin City being a case in point)

electricinca    89

Batman: Year One is really top notch stuff, I'm actually surprised that it's taken you this long to get around to reading it.

I quite enjoy the over-the-top testosterone-driven Sin City but in my opinion it really isn't in the same league as Batman: Year One or 300 which is quite simply brilliantly written and beautiful to look at.

Gromolko    0

I just read Batman: Year one and must concede. It was completly included in a compilation of Batman stories by a major german newspaper which is known to be subverted by D.O.N.A.L.D. (=Deutsche Organisation der Nichtkommerziellen Annäherung des Lauteren Donaldismus). (They even smuggled Donald Duck quotes in all the captions and some headlines in the feuilleton pages for quite some time).

Has anyone read "Capote in Kansas"? A very good read, surely better than everything else I read from this year, but I wonder if it qualifies as a classic. I have some doubts. I will spare you my ramblings if no one read it, but i´m willing to discuss it.