lyra

Big books of comics

Just read Kochalkas Superf*ckers 1 + 273. Seeing "Ralph!" as a soundword for puking made me laugh so hard I almost did it myself. "Ralph!"

The combination of slacker attitude, gutter languange and superheroes is good for some more hard laughs. "I´m not gay" "Let´s just look at the FACTS. No girlfriend, plus you´ve got a man´s face in your ass. Hmm...should we ask the SUPER COMPUTER?"

Yes, Twilight. "Quiver" is one of the better Green Arrow stories. It includes a fucked-up version of the old characters Stanley and his Monster.

:lol: , I love John's apperances in Crisis and Teen Titans. It shows that DC had no idea what to do with the character at that point and time.

Yeah, some of those one panel deaths from Crisis made one wonder what the point was...."We don't care about this character, we need deaths, let's just get rid of him and move on".

Read Grant Morrison's JLA run. Kyle is the Green Lantern throughout (he's introduced as the new boy in the very first issue), and the whole run is pretty much as good as JLA comics have ever been, so far as I've read. It's all available in trade, too - the first three are New World Order, American Dreams, and Rock Of Ages, which should keep you going for now. They're all more or less standalone, but it's worth reading them in order. There's also a totally standalone graphic novel, illustrated by Frank Quitely, called JLA: Earth 2, which is heartily recommended. If you're worried by Morrison's "none more out-there" reputation, don't be - he approached the JLA with an entirely appropriate, reverent attitude, and while there are some entertaining and Morrisonian themes and ideas buried in some of the stories, the actual storytelling is as straightforward as you could possibly ask for, coupled to spot-on characterisation and wonderful dialogue.

Otherwise, Mark Waid's JLA: Year One is a fun romp, which does exactly what it says on the tin - no Kyle Rayner, but the relationship between Barry Allen and Hal Jordan is fun, and it uses J'Onn pretty well too. You might enjoy it - I think it's available in trade, otherwise I can hook you up with something TOTALLY LEGAL instead.

Otherwise, Mark Waid's JLA: Year One is a fun romp, which does exactly what it says on the tin - no Kyle Rayner, but the relationship between Barry Allen and Hal Jordan is fun, and it uses J'Onn pretty well too. You might enjoy it - I think it's available in trade, otherwise I can hook you up with something TOTALLY LEGAL instead.

I'd like to echo this - it's really just superheroics done right, for once. There was a JLA : INcarnations miniseries that followed after this one, but it was mostly mediocre, telling stories about various incarnations of Justice Leage throughout the years, from a viewpoint of a reporter. It tried to be like Marvels at times, but failed miserably.

Mark's spot on about Morrison's JLA & JLA : Earth Two as well.

I just got the first Teen Titans trade from the current run. I was surprised at just how good it was. Dammit, I didn't want to like the new kids. :glare:

I picked up Kingdom Come last week. Loved it, overall. Beautifully painted, and the (highlight for spoiler) Supes vs Captain Marvel fight is just, well, marvellous. But story-wise it rather pales into insignificance next to Moore's 'Twilight' pitch, from which, no matter what anyone claims, it was rather evidently cribbed. Still, good investment of a tenner, I feel.

The way they used that Kingdom Come sequence in the (highlight for spoiler) Superman Vs. Captain Marvel episode of Justice League Unlimited was fucking AWESOME.

The way they used that Kingdom Come sequence in the (highlight for spoiler) Superman Vs. Captain Marvel episode of Justice League Unlimited was fucking AWESOME.

I'd forgotten all about that. But yer not wrong. Incidentally, I had (highlight for spoiler) your mum.

So, did everyone else read Capt. Marvel's dialogue in that scene in the style of Gomer Pyle? "Shazam! Shazam! Shazam!"

I read "A Minotaur's Tale" by Al Davidson. It was a G.N. published in England in the late-80s. Part of the V.G. Imprint that also released Alan Moore's "Small Killings" and Neil Gaiman's "Signal To Noise", two of the highlights of both their careers and a high-point for the entire comic medium in my eyes; so I figured I couldn't go wrong, eh? The only Davidson I've read was a two-part "Dreaming" story-arc, which wasn't bad.

This is a really good story. It has the feel of those 1980 comics, mostly of the type released by Piranha Press. It's a modern day take on the myth of the Minotaur, told from the P.O.V. of the Minotaurs, themselves.

I think it's rare to come across, but if you do, it's worth picking up for a bit of a disturbing night's read.

I just picked up the Apocalypse War:Judge DRedd graphic novel. I found out of all of the Judge Dredd comic's i've read over the years the Apocalypse War was by far the best storyline. I've never cared for judge Death or Dredd's arch enemies but the war between the Russian states and East Coast is just fantastic. It reminded me quite a bit of a Transmetroplitan story line a bit.

For some reason this graphic novel just went out of print and people are charging a quite a bit more than the cover price; double.

1840236345.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Just finished Crisis on Infinite Earths, woah what a read that was and so many different impressions...

Overall, a good story I suppose, a nice universal epic where all is on the line and all the heroes and the villains unite to beat the all-consuming evil force that threatens them all, always a winning one that methinks.

The deaths of The Flash and Supergirl were cool moments. I thought Superman, in both his forms was written pretty well.

The ending, whilst not an entirely logical climax, had a pretty dramatic feeling to it, liked that moment where the skies turn black only for it to be revealed to be a countless number of the Anti-Monitor's Shadow Goons

On the bad, well it takes a while to really get going in my opinion. Pace only seems to pick up around the middle of the story. Also I couldnt count how many times I seemed to read passages that went as follow

Superhero #1: Gee [insert Random Superhero Name] It's all going crazy around here, I better use my [superhero Power/Object/Item]

Superhero #2: Thats right, and look there's [insert Random Superhero Team]

Superhero #3: [Makes some obvious comment about the gravity of the situation]

So basically far too much padding. Oh, and I know supervillains repeatedly coming back from the dead is not a new thing, but I just got bored with the Anti-Monitor's comebacks towards the end. Also whilst the entire thing was written to clear up the DC universe and make it more accessible to the non-diehard fans, a lot of these superheroes seem to be wiped out, and for the non-diehards (like me) the loss doesnt seem to have much resonance in the story.

So overall good, glad I read it. Might need to consult some great encyclopedia of comic knowledge to appreciate all of its subtleties, but a good read nonetheless...

Has anyone read the three issue mini (collected in one volume) 'Sebastian O' by Grant Morrison? Its pretty brill, I thought. One of Morrison's funniest and most accessible works, with another LOEG-esque Victorian steampunk world and a healthy dose of the perverse. It's light, clever and relentlessly entertaining. Extremely amusing supporting cast of sicko priests, Masons, cannibals, psychopaths and assorted Morrison style baddies.

Well with Crisis on Infinite Earths finished, I kinda got my eye on a few more DC trades, is Zero Hour any good? What about Identity Crisis? I'm basically looking for those stories of pivotal importance in the DCU, and those two seemed to come up a lot in my online searching...

Well with Crisis on Infinite Earths finished, I kinda got my eye on a few more DC trades, is Zero Hour any good? What about Identity Crisis? I'm basically looking for those stories of pivotal importance in the DCU, and those two seemed to come up a lot in my online searching...

If you want to prepare for Infinite Crisis by reading pivotal DC trades, you should read Zero Hour, then Final Night, then Identity Crisis, then Green Lantern: Rebirth.

I seem to recall Zero Hour and Final Night not being that good though.

I thought Zero Hour was fine, mostly, Final Night was dreck, though.

And i endorse Chris's reading order... :D

I finally got my order of 2 Death trades -

Death: The High Cost of Living

Death: The Time of your Life

I like 'em both

A Peep Show Collection by Joe Matt-Well, I can really relate to a lot of these stories, but I also hate a lot of things about this book. What is this book? It's Joe Matt's comic book journal. It's "American Splendour" without the intellect. What do I hate? Well, it's always great to see people in their late-30s acting like 13 year olds, now isn't it? He has a lot of potential in these stories, but he needs to study R. Crumb and Harvey Pekar quite a bit more to perfect the autobiographical comic strip.

Lost At Sea by Bryan Lee O'Malley-I like this story. It definately holds your interest. It's the comic about teenagers for people who hate high school comic books. The main character reminded me a lot of Terri. "Whimsical" would be the best word to describe it.

A Peep Show Collection by Joe Matt-Well, I can really relate to a lot of these stories, but I also hate a lot of things about this book. What is this book? It's Joe Matt's comic book journal. It's "American Splendour" without the intellect. What do I hate? Well, it's always great to see people in their late-30s acting like 13 year olds, now isn't it? He has a lot of potential in these stories, but he needs to study R. Crumb and Harvey Pekar quite a bit more to perfect the autobiographical comic strip.

I always thought Joe Matt was a pisspoor mix of Pekar and Bob Fingerman.