lyra

Big books of comics

So not worth my time any money would be the consensus Im sensing here?

Any alternatives in the DC universe I should go for instead?

You want stories set in the DC Universe only?

hmmm.....

Morrison's "Animal Man" run is grand! Even though the books are under the Vertigo banner, they were clearly set in the DCU when written.

"Arkham Asylum" by Morrison, if you haven't read it.

"Across the DC Universe" is a collection of all of Alan Moore's non-Swamp Thing DC stories. It's a fun read if you want to experience some different facets of the DCU in a well-written manner.

Read Arkham Asylum, first trade I ever got actually, got me interested again in the form after not reading comics since my early childhood.

Animal Man and Across the DC Universe I will look into, but I still might get Crisis anyway as the concept of it does kinda appeal to me...

Looked through my collection and found a few more:

"Black Orchid" by Neil Gaiman (same deal as "Animal Man", although not as good)

Gaiman's "Books of Magic". The original mini-series was damn good and was firmly centered in the magical realms of the DCU.

Morrison's "JLA", collected in 6 volumns.

I'd actually recommend you read these before "Crisis", if you want to really know about different corners of the DCU.

Just recently bought and read through New World Order and American Dreams, good stuff, gave me a taste for stories which feature a number of DC heroes.

Books of Magic, is that the one with the boy wizard or has my lack of comic general knowledge let me down again?

Oh, good call - I was about to suggest Morrison's JLA. It's worth continuing with that - the next trade, 'Rock Of Ages', is probably the best of the lot.

The Books Of Magic is indeed the "boy wizard" one. It's an excellent and new-reader-friendly introduction to most aspects and characters of the magical corners of the DCU, as well as featuring one of the best-written Constantine appearances I can remember reading, and some beautiful art. It's not Gaiman's best work (that's still definitely Sandman, for me), but it's up there with it. Solidly recommended.

I'll second Christian's recommendation for Across the DC Universe, particularly since the new version now includes both of Moore's Superman stories. It's a good overview of a wide spectrum of the DCU, as well as including a good few ace stories in their own right.

If you're really keen to read CoIE, it's not terrible, so you could probably do worse. Just bear in mind the comments which have been made here, and you won't suffer from the raised expectations which it's 'legendary' status may otherwise have conferred on the book. It's got some lovely artwork from Perez, if nothing else (his covers for Infinite Crisis are one of the best things about it so far, in my view - I'm a definite fan of his work).

As far as other DCU stuff goes...well, Animal Man should definitely be on your list. Not necessarily for the insight it'll give you into the DCU (although there are some excellent glimpses into some corners of the superhero world you don't often see in other titles), but because it's one of the best superhero comics ever written. I've just been talking about it with a friend, in fact, and we both agreed that it's one of very, very, very few titles to seriously rival the highlights of Moore's Swamp Thing for pure drop-dead awesomeness - the second two trades are probably the best, but the first is still mighty, and it's worth reading the whole thing in order.

Have fun, whatever you end up choosing.

I'd forgotten about Books of Magic entirely and forgot to check. WAIT! I better list it down NOW./

Mark - how many books are there in the series? And they are ? I dont remember - and the bookstore has to know and so do I so can order.

Gee. I just got HB's 17 books in. Sigh. am ordering 3 more though. along with the 3 more Sandman I am missing. Love that series, btw. and now this. sigh.

Are you sure you want to read all the "Books of Magic" series? I really didn't care for it at all, but I'm not a big fan of that type of Fantasy story.

You need to get the "Books of Magic" Trade by Neil Gaiman though!

What Christian said. The original Books of Magic miniseries/trade, by Gaiman, is excellent, and that's what I was talking about above. The later ongoing series is a lot less consistent, a lot less necessary, and, crucially, a lot less good. You really shouldn't feel any need to read it, unless you end up really liking the Tim Hunter character - and even then, caution should be exercised.

Am I the only person willing to step up and say that I really liked a lot of the Books of Magic series? Maybe it's just that a lot of the themes were relevant to events in my own life at the time I was reading it, but I quite enjoyed most of the first six TPBs. After that, well, things got a lot dicier (and Names of Magic and Hunter., the Age of Magic are best not mentioned in my presence) but the series is still a lot better than most people seem to give it credit for.

I myself just picked up the second Lucifer TPB, and once again am kicking myself for not getting into the series sooner. I had tried the first single of Dalliance with the Damned, didn't think much about it one way or another, and more or less ignored all the positive buzz on the message boards thereafter. My mistake. Half priced copies of the first and fourth trades completely hooked me, and now I'm probably going to turn into one of those scary recent converts with more enthusiasm than manners.

I'm probably going to turn into one of those scary recent converts with more enthusiasm than manners.

Make no mistake about it, this is a Good Thing. Ask Mark and Malin.

And I quite liked the first few trades of Books of Magic. But then it turned to utter cack.

At risk of being branded "grumpy-pants", "cynic-face" and "boring arse-tit", or whatever else the cool kids are calling people these days, I'm really not so sold on The Books of Magic (the original mini, that is - never read any of the subsequent series, and I've little intention of so doing).

I'm inclined to see it as essentially a children's story - which is not of necessity a bad thing, of course - the plot itself is pretty derivative, and the characters don't really seem to get a lot of time devoted to them.

On the other hand, the art is fantastic, and it's a very pretty thing to look at, from start to finish. I don't regret buying it at all, but I really wouldn't rate it as a must-have from a story-telling point of view. Depends what you want from a book, really.

I just finished Concrete vol. 2: Heights. As with the first volume, there is more great stories in here. Both the size and price are just right. I especially enjoyed "Everest: Solo", which has Concrete trying to scale Mount Everest by himself. "Always Fences" was a very touching story of Concrete trying to come to terms with his family and a dark secret. "No Sweat" about Concrete helping a family keep their farm going was good, and I like the 'dark secret' they held, although I saw it coming, but did not expect the way Concrete handled it. The pro-environmental/love nature stuff isn't annoying, but I can still tell it's there. I can definetly tell where Paul Chadwick's polictics come sneaking in from time to time, but at least he isn't trying to bash me over the head with his views.

Again, I can not recommend the Concrete series enough. If you haven't got it; get it.

Concrete is fantastic. I recommend all the collections you can get your hands on. I think the next one will collect Killer Smile, one of the best storylines Chadwick ever did, in my opinion.

Also, bought the Zombieworld - Champion of the Worms trade. reprinting the Zombieworld origin story, written by Mike Mignola and drawn in a semi-Tin Tin style by Pat McEown. lovely stuff.

Concrete is fantastic. I recommend all the collections you can get your hands on. I think the next one will collect Killer Smile, one of the best storylines Chadwick ever did, in my opinion.

Sorry Sethos, but it looks like the next volume is "Fragile Creatures." Then volume 4 is "Killer Smile."

Dark Horse is pleased to present the latest volume of its collections of classic and rare Concrete stories with Concrete Volume 3: Fragile Creature.

When you're seven-feet plus of walking, talking stone, you're bound to draw the media spotlight, especially when you live in Tinseltown. Concrete's celebrity status is sometimes a pain in the buttress...but it does bring the occasional paycheck gig. When the producer of a low-budget science-fiction film approaches Concrete to use his prodigious strength to help save money on the film's FX budget, the siren call of Hollywood draws Concrete like a moth to a flame…a seven-thousand-dollar-a-week flame, that is.

This value-priced volume collects the Eisner Award-winning series Fragile Creature, along with bonus short stories "Litlle Pushes,""Fire at Twilight,""Byrdland's Secret,""The Artistic Impulse,""Burning Brightly, Brightly,""Next Best,"and "The Gray Embrace.”

Written and drawn by Paul Chadwick, Concrete Volume 3: Fragile Creature arrives on sale January 18 with a retail price of $12.95.

Standing in the shadow of celebrity has its ups and downs, as Concrete's personal assistant, Larry Munro, knows all too well. But there are darker places than any shadow, as Larry learns the hard way when he is taken hostage by a psychotic gunman who forces Larry to be his chauffeur on a road trip destined to end in disaster . . . unless Larry can muster the courage to act.

The return of Paul Chadwick's award-winning Concrete has ushered in a resurgence of interest in the acclaimed series, and Killer Smile is Chadwick's darkest Concrete work, a harrowing tale Frank Miller called “edge-of-your-seat suspense, full of unpredictable twists and turns."This value-priced volume collects Killer Smile plus bonus short stories.

• This volume contains Killer Smile #1-4, short stories “Under the Desert Stars,"“Four-Wheeled Sleeping Pill,"“King of the Early Evening,"“Enough World,"“Family Night,"“American Christmas,"and “100 Horrors.”

• Paul Chadwick has won multiple Eisner and Harvey awards for his creation.

• Value-priced at $12.95 for 184 pages!

Pub. Date: Mar 15, 2006

Sethos is right - Killer Smile is, indeed, absolutely marvellous. Some of Chadwick's best art, and a gripping, genuinely creepy psychological crime thriller which is unlike any of the other Concrete stuff I've read, but still works brilliantly both in the context of the series/characters, and as a stand-alone story.

Queen and Country: Operation Broken Ground: I like this series so far. It's pretty atmospheric and gripping. Sometimes hard to follow which character is which, though. The art isn't mind-blowing, but it's pleasant. I'm gonna stick with this one.

Transmetropolitan: Dirge: Wow. The plot didn't blow me away, but the characters did. Especially Spider. His plight is really heart-rending to a lover of the bastard, like myself. I'm jonesing for more, and upset that I can't purchase any until my Christmas shopping is out of the way.

Sorry Sethos, but it looks like the next volume is "Fragile Creatures." Then volume 4 is "Killer Smile."

Standing in the shadow of celebrity has its ups and downs, as Concrete's personal assistant, Larry Munro, knows all too well. But there are darker places than any shadow, as Larry learns the hard way when he is taken hostage by a psychotic gunman who forces Larry to be his chauffeur on a road trip destined to end in disaster . . . unless Larry can muster the courage to act.

The return of Paul Chadwick's award-winning Concrete has ushered in a resurgence of interest in the acclaimed series, and Killer Smile is Chadwick's darkest Concrete work, a harrowing tale Frank Miller called “edge-of-your-seat suspense, full of unpredictable twists and turns."This value-priced volume collects Killer Smile plus bonus short stories.

• This volume contains Killer Smile #1-4, short stories “Under the Desert Stars,"“Four-Wheeled Sleeping Pill,"“King of the Early Evening,"“Enough World,"“Family Night,"“American Christmas,"and “100 Horrors.”

• Paul Chadwick has won multiple Eisner and Harvey awards for his creation.

• Value-priced at $12.95 for 184 pages!

Pub. Date: Mar 15, 2006

ah, I just read in Previews the sollicit for vol.4 and was unaware vol.3 wasn't out yet. Fragile Creature is fantastic as well (it also makes me think that Chadwick could very well work on a Conan-esque comic).

Meanwhile, "Under the Desert Stars" is one of my favourite Concrete short stories, so that's an added incentive for you all to buy Volume 4! also, I'm curious about 100 Horrors: this is a little side project of Chadwick's: in series like Killer Smile and Think Like A Mountain, Chadwick filled the last few pages of each book with episodes of a projected 100 part series called "100 Horrors" which each short story showing some horrific fate that could happen to humanity. one of them was about the earth slowly imploding, another one was about no one being able to move anymore and everybody dying of starvation, not being able to stop the house from burning down, things like that. I really enjoyed those stories, and wonder how many of these will be in this trade.

Mark/Malin just lent me the latest "100 bullets"-trade. (Blues for a minuteman?) It's good, and FINAL-FUCKING-LY we get some exposition. It only took you bloody 8 trades to get there, eh, Brian?

Kane, Volume 5 : Billed as a collection of short stories for some reason when it's really just one big long story...just like your typical trade, really. Highlight was easily the Sin City/Marv riff which had me guffawing in all the right places, the 'little voice' bit was a stroke of comedy genius! I prefer Kane over Jack Staff, gagging for the upcoming OGNs.

Black Hole : Well I picked it up last night to read a few pages before going to sleep but couldn't put it down till I'd hit the last page, so obviously I enjoyed it. Not quite what I expected as the disfiguring STD at the heart of the story is never really addressed, instead we get slice of life stories set against the background of a 70's America where getting laid can lead to some very dire consequences indeed. I'm sure it's down to my reading so many comics but the simple, straight forward panel composition here really worked well - no bells and wishes, nice squares and rectangles, populated with great figure work. I mentioned elsewhere on the forum that this looked like a typical manga -eque horror story but I was dead wrong on that one.

Sea Of Red, Volume 1 : Couldn't get into the single issues but thought I'd give the trade a go and....y'know I still can't quite decide what to make of it. The art is gorgeous, all red and white, really quite striking and serves the story well. Ah, yes, the story - 400 years ago an innocent Spanish sailor is turned into a vampire and left bound at the bottom of the ocean while his sire takes off to kill his wife and children. Freed in modern times, the sailor sets off for revenge. Oddness ensures. There's a zen vampire monk in here with a peg-leg and a katanna for fuck's sake! I think I like this, it's different.

Black Hole : Well I picked it up last night to read a few pages before going to sleep but couldn't put it down till I'd hit the last page, so obviously I enjoyed it.  Not quite what I expected as the disfiguring STD at the heart of the story is never really addressed, instead we get slice of life stories set against the background of a 70's America where getting laid can lead to some very dire consequences indeed.  I'm sure it's down to my reading so many comics but the simple, straight forward panel composition here really worked well - no bells and wishes, nice squares and rectangles, populated with great figure work.  I mentioned elsewhere on the forum that this looked like a typical manga -eque horror story but I was dead wrong on that one. 

One of my recommendations finally paid off, huh? :biggrin:

Black Hole is awesome stuff. and creepy as fuck, with the whole "Chris.. I'm sorry" scene. I found Eliza quite sexy with her tail ("grab it"). whoohoo! :icon_redface:

Going to have to pick up this 2nd "Concrete" volumn sometime soon....

There aren't many new comics I'm excited about, but there are far too many graphic novels or Trades I want!

Yes, you need the "Black Hole" book! It's a steal for the amount of reading compared to price. It's not the best comic ever written, and there's probably a few books you need more.

My complaint was I didn't understand why he had to throw the fantasy element into the story. Why not just use H.I.V.? Regardless, as everyone says, it's not about the plague anyway, so I guess that's a minor quibble.

Has anyone read "Epileptic" by French comic creator David B.?

I accidentially bought a copy off of Amazon today.....so I hope it's damn good!

I was after "Gemma Bovery" G.N. (which looks so amazing!) and must have clicked the "Buy Together With..." option on Amazon somehow. Teach me to pay attention!

When I was checking out, I kept thinking, "hmm, this seems way too expensive. What's going on?" By the time I figured it out, I hit the "Buy Now" key instead of the Back button. My reflexes must be off.....

So....is "Epileptic" worth my money?!

OH HELL YES!!!

Epileptic is an amazing work, right up there with the best in the medium. There's been some mad love from Forumites about it before, back in this thread somewhere.

OH HELL YES!!!

Epileptic is an amazing work, right up there with the best in the medium. There's been some mad love from Forumites about it before, back in this thread somewhere.

Selkie is very right indeed.