lyra

Big books of comics

Just finished Tricked by Alex Robinson....it was really cool. A bunch of characters slowly spiraling towards each other. I'll read Box Office Poison next.

I didn't read "Tricked", skipped right to "Box Office Poison". All the praise it's gotten? It didn't disappoint one iota. A Very good book, exactly the type of stories I like to see best from the indy comic scene.

I don't know, I quite liked BOP but I've never gone back to reread it, something about it just didn't click.

Anyone ever breaks into your house you can use it to wap them over the head with though!

Girls. Right, um, that was a little different - a young, sexually frustrated man living in a really small town in the arse end of the US loses it at the local bar - driving home, he finds a naked woman in the middle of the road and things then proceed to go very weird indeed! The production values are gorgeous - the artist does beautiful work and it's fun (once in a while) to wallow in a story that's just plain strange, recommended if the concept of giant killer sperm doesn't turn you off too much (hurm, not sure that was the best phrasing!).

About a 1/3 of the way through that big Concrete collection that came out a few months back, there's a great page in there broken down into little squares where Concrete is swimming the Athlantic Ocean.

Giant killer sperm? It's been done. Is Girls the one with the stunning magazine-style covers?

And how does a man made out of concrete swim?

Giant killer sperm? It's been done. Is Girls the one with the stunning magazine-style covers?

And how does a man made out of concrete swim?

with giant flippers and an air tank on his back to make him bouyant.

with giant flippers and an air tank on his back to make him bouyant.

The follow-up story with the kids ripping the piss out of him was really quite sweet.

James, I think this is one of the covers you're talking about, done by the same chaps but it's a different series (it's also quite good, Sex In the City meets Superheroes but not shit).

Last week I bought the NYC MECH trade (I’ve read the first two-parter in it and am pretty taken with the formal experimentation of the piece as well as the crew themselves, it basically is a straight crime book, the only difference being all the characters are Robots.) I also bought the latest Daredevil book, but haven’t had the chance to look at it.

On order from Amazon (for Christmas)

The last two Lucifer books (because I want to sit down with all the available pieces over Christmas and get a better feel for it.)

The new KANE (Finally!) Book.

And I suspect I may buy the Peter David X-Factor collection, as I have a friend who loves that shit.

1582405581.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Peter David's "X-Factor" is indeed brilliant. It was certainly the best thing Marvel had going for it (outside of Warren Ellis) in the early-90s.

I didn't know they were collecting David's work on "X-Factor" yet though? They just released an "Essential X-Factor" collecting the early issues of the book, which, while well-written 1980s Marvel superhero fare, are a pale shadow of what the book would become under David.

Peter David's "X-Factor" is indeed brilliant. It was certainly the best thing Marvel had going for it (outside of Warren Ellis) in the early-90s.

I didn't know they were collecting David's work on "X-Factor" yet though? They just released an "Essential X-Factor" collecting the early issues of the book, which, while well-written 1980s Marvel superhero fare, are a pale shadow of what the book would become under David.

It’s been released as (deep breath) ‘X-Factor Visionaries: Peter David Volume one’ contains the first five issues and is in comic shops now.

Here’s the cover:

0785118721.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Guest spiderlegs

I recently received a gift certificate with which I used to purchase LoEG Vol. I, the final missing Authority trade I have been lacking, and the SWE3:ROTS adaptation, which isn't that thrilling, though it does include some scenes not in the film. Other than #214 HELLBLAZER, I haven't bought a single comic in months, so I've eschewed even setting foot in one of those hallowed places, other than seeking PT employment. *sigh*

I picked up the "Rabbi's Cat" G.N. today, on the strength of Sethos' suggestion, as he seems to read and enjoy the same types of comics as I do.

It's under a big pile of books right now, so it'll be a while before I can let you know if Sethos continues his "hasn't let me down yet" streak!

By the way Sethos, have you read "Jimmy Corrigan" by Chris Ware? It's one book that's a Must Read that I haven't heard you mention. If you haven't, you NEED to, right now! I give it my very highest recommendation! This goes for everyone on the Forums. This is one of the greatest comic stories ever written without one shadow of a doubt.

Also picked up "In the Shadow of No Towers" by Spiegelman. I'm sure I'll like this book. Was waiting for it to come out, but was a mite pricey for my tastes, so I waited. Payed off, as I found a copy for half off today!

I finally got ahold of Promethea Book I, which I've been meaning to get round to for years now. Excellent stuff, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series in very short order. I also picked up the trade collection of Jack Kirby's New Gods while I was in England, which is huge fun. Definitely recommended to anyone who enjoys Grant Morrison's more 'cosmic' work, too - the Kirby influence on his career is obviously massive, and the New Gods stuff is a particularly clear example of the sort of thing he's drawn on heavily over the years.

By the way Sethos, have you read "Jimmy Corrigan" by Chris Ware? It's one book that's a Must Read that I haven't heard you mention. If you haven't, you NEED to, right now! I give it my very highest recommendation! This goes for everyone on the Forums. This is one of the greatest comic stories ever written without one shadow of a doubt.

I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of Chris Ware. I can certainly see that he's very good, and he's a terrific designer/artist, but 'Jimmy Corrigan' just left me flat. it's just too downbeat for me, maybe. I just could never really get into it.

I also picked up the trade collection of Jack Kirby's New Gods while I was in England, which is huge fun. Definitely recommended to anyone who enjoys Grant Morrison's more 'cosmic' work, too - the Kirby influence on his career is obviously massive, and the New Gods stuff is a particularly clear example of the sort of thing he's drawn on heavily over the years.

Mark you are right. Kirbys New Gods, Mister Miracle, and Fourth World trades are excellent. Great sweeping cosmic stories, with near perfect art. Kirby's art almost looks better in black and white. My only problem with those editions of the trades was the paper quality. Seems like it was barely a step up for toilet paper.

Well, there goes all my respect for you, Sethos! :wink:

I like DeMatteis does Kirby, better than straight Kirby. I can take straight Rum, but not straight Kirby, that's far too strong.

I miss "Promethea". I looked through the covers today and reminisced about how great that series was.

It reminded me that "Planetary" is going to be ending soon. Those two titles were probably the most special comics I bought every month.

It was definately my favourite of the ABC line, and was the best Alan Moore since the 80s. I'll always rank it as one of my favourite comics, even though it had its faults, it was just so different.

After finishing the first volume, Promethea's well in line to become my favourite Alan Moore book ever. Seriously.

After finishing the first volume, Promethea's well in line to become my favourite Alan Moore book ever. Seriously.

a great many people have problems with vols. three and four (which develop away from the superhero stuff and go into a metaphysical journey into the different magic systems of the world, that kind of thing). I love it, but I know lots of folks who hate it.

That's the stuff I've been looking forward to!

It sounds fascinating, based on what I've been told about it (including reports from people who hated it). I'll find out soon either way, though - I'll probably be picking up all 4 remaining trades in relatively short order.

That's the stuff I've been looking forward to!

It sounds fascinating, based on what I've been told about it (including reports from people who hated it). I'll find out soon either way, though - I'll probably be picking up all 4 remaining trades in relatively short order.

trade five isn't out yet, is it? is it? :icon_frown:

If not already, then very soon. I certainly remember seeing it solicited a good while ago, anyway.