lyra

Big books of comics

Truthfully, I don't know if it's a sequel as I haven't read it yet, but it's a new "slice o' life" tale a la BOP by Robinson, so I might be jumping the gun in saying it's a sequel, but it's definitely the same type of story, soooooo....I want it. NOW.

Got Rose by Jeff Smith and Charles Vess and Black Hole by Charles Burns as Christmas gifts. Rose was fantastic. Great stand alone story, but also adds to the Bone saga. Vess' art is simply gorgeous.

Black Hole is next. Good looking art, with very interesting premise. And damn that's a big book. Could kill a man with it.

Did pretty well on the graphic novel front for christmas.

Received

Daniel Clowes

Ghost World

CAricature

David Boring

Alan Moore's

V for Vendetta hardcover

Watchman Absoute

Did pretty well on the graphic novel front for christmas.

Received

Daniel Clowes

Ghost World

CAricature

David Boring

Alan Moore's

V for Vendetta hardcover

Watchman Absoute

nice haul!

I have to say, the Contract with God trilogy was awesome. Dropsie Avenue was pretty depressing though. A Lifeforce was beautiful.

Just read "The Mystery Play" by Grant Morrison / John J Muth. The art was absolutely stunning, and the storytelling high standard. Not quite sure what actually happened though. I have couple of theories, but I'd be interested to hear some of you people's takes on it...

Smoke : Nice art but....um....the story...well...ok, so the head of OPEC is kidnapped in the UK by a bunch of freaks straight out of 80's Judge Dredd so OPEC, in turn, stops selling oil to Britain ?!?

Couldn't wrap my head around that at all so the rest of the story just kind of passed me by

Sethos, why must you continue to fill my head with fantastic graphic novel suggestions? I just put the contract with god on my amazon wish list. I'll probably get it next month. I still haven't worked my way through Locas.

Guest spiderlegs

I was given Seaguy yesterday and read it this morning. Definitely up there with Msr. Morrison's stranger epics. I'm still digesting my overall opinion of it. Loved all the Mickey Eye stuff and now I know where OUR Mickey Eye got his nic.

I was given Seaguy yesterday and read it this morning. Definitely up there with Msr. Morrison's stranger epics. I'm still digesting my overall opinion of it.

Don't sweat over it. It's rubbish. Many fun ideas, no coherent plot, direction or point.

WRONG.

It could certainly have done with an extra issue (the final installment felt distinctly crammed, and the pacing was a little abrupt at times), but the first two issues were an excellent, fun, exciting and emotionally-resonant combination of surrealism, adventure serial, political satire, superhero deconstructionism, and (according to Morrison, at least, although I never saw it) mediaeval quest literature. It was far from flawless, but I found the imagination, freshness and densely-packed, fast-paced structure enormously satisfying and refreshing, andI'd be delighted if Morrison got to complete the follow-up minis he originally had planned, before low sales put the kibosh on that.

The art was gorgeous, too. And the end of issue 2/beginning of issue 3 made me cry in public.

Finally reading Box Office Poison by Alex Robinson. Good stuff so far (about 350 pages in, reading it at Borders).

Finally reading Box Office Poison by Alex Robinson.  Good stuff so far (about 350 pages in, reading it at Borders).

(oops, already told you all I started it....I've been busy lately, trying to find work over winter break. I read it when I can.)

I was given Seaguy yesterday and read it this morning. Definitely up there with Msr. Morrison's stranger epics. I'm still digesting my overall opinion of it.

Don't sweat over it. It's rubbish. Many fun ideas, no coherent plot, direction or point.

Fie on that.

Bought OMac, and was dissapointed, as had hoped for something to the calibre of Identity Crisis, and it wasn't.

Got the second volume of Charleys war for christmas, which is brilliant, and has a Garth Ennis post-logue along with commentry by Pat Mills. I do hope they continue with this collection.

Seaguy - definatly an odd one, and not to my liking, not sure where exacty I got a bit lost with it, but when I think of how much I enjoyed WE3, it goes to show that morrison definatly can swing in the story telling stakes.

This is not the first time I have either loved or not enjoyed his work.

Definatly someone who always surprises me on that front.

Seaguy is brilliant.

How?

Might I direct you back to my post on the previous page, in which I at least attempted to explain why someone might disagree with your opinion about this one? I'm sure Sethos is more than capable of expressing his own views on the strengths of the series, which may well differ from mine, but it seems a bit weak to home in on his off-hand comment, while ignoring my actual response to your initial post.

Christ, it was an honest question, folks, not The Inquisition. I wanted to know WHY Sean thought it was "brilliant". But since you ask, I'll give an answer to your post:

WRONG.

It could certainly have done with an extra issue (the final installment felt distinctly crammed, and the pacing was a little abrupt at times), but the first two issues were an excellent, fun, exciting and emotionally-resonant combination of surrealism, adventure serial, political satire, superhero deconstructionism, and (according to Morrison, at least, although I never saw it) mediaeval quest literature. It was far from flawless, but I found the imagination, freshness and densely-packed, fast-paced structure enormously satisfying and refreshing, andI'd be delighted if Morrison got to complete the follow-up minis he originally had planned, before low sales put the kibosh on that.

The art was gorgeous, too. And the end of issue 2/beginning of issue 3 made me cry in public.

I'll admit the art was good. But I stand firm on my criticism. The plot has no internal consistency whatsoever. For instance the whole "intelligent goop"-thing served no purpose at all, the hollow moon ditto, and the resolution was a non-starter. To me it looked like Morrison couldn't decide on what kind of story he was writing, so he tried to write them all at the same time. That really didn't work. This also destroyed any kind of emotional impact the scenes otherwise COULD have had. Since the story didn't engage me, the characters in the story likewise were irrelevant to me.

But hey, different strokes etc...

Bought OMac, and was dissapointed, as had hoped for something to the calibre of Identity Crisis, and it wasn't.

Well, it's only one part of a larger story. IC, though it has consequences down the line, is basically a self-contained story.