lyra

Big books of comics

There is second volume & a third volume. Sadly, I've discovere that is it, DC seems to have not plans to do the rest of the series. They're really horrible at trade collecting, when it doesn't involve the "bigger" characters & creators. With all the love DC seemed to have been showing Milligan, you'd think they'd make a better effort. If for no other reason to prove naysayers wrong about him writing solid shit of late

It's wonderful when it finally kicks into high gear: there's a good thirty odd issues up to #50 that are pretty much solid gold. If it wasn't for X Force/Statix and Face that'd be the best work Milligan ever did in comics.

Isn't there a second collection as well?

What about Enigma?

That isn't as good as Face either.

:tongue:

(You could make a case for Bad Company and The Dead as well, I'd suspect.)

I was forgetting Skreemer: that one's definitely a bit of a cracker.

Superman: Secret Identity is easily one of the best Superman stories I've read. Perfect script by Busiek and perfect art by Immonen. That's a team that needs to work together more. 5/5

Red Handed by Matt Kindt is a true work of art. He excels at mysteries in sequential art form. There are so many great layers of meta and plenty of clues. Separate stories all weave together to form a fantastic piece of art. The description of "David Lynch writing Dick Tracy" is fairly accurate, but there is also a bit of a Sherlock vibe, complete with a Moriarty, as well. Trust me! Buy it! 5/5

• Upvote 1

It's wonderful when it finally kicks into high gear: there's a good thirty odd issues up to #50 that are pretty much solid gold. If it wasn't for X Force/Statix and Face that'd be the best work Milligan ever did in comics.

Isn't there a second collection as well?

What about Enigma?

I was finally able to read that a couple of months ago. It's by far one of my all time favorite comic reads. Top 5.

Read through the first trade of New 52 Justice League, they throw a bunch of characters together to fight Darkseid and... that's about it. Not bad per se but it underwhelmed me.

Also gave Coward, the first trade of Brubaker's Criminal a whirl and that was altogether a more satisfying read. Nothing surprising for those accustomed to noir-ish yarns but executed well.

Brubaker & Phillips is a guaranteed combo. Sleeper, Criminal, Incognito & Fatale; all great.

I just finished Habibi by Craig Thompson. It is wonderful!!! It's not Blankets good but still damned awesome. 4/5

On out trip down to Oklahoma, I stopped at a comic shop in Norman (home of University of Oklahoma) and I found Super Spy by Matt Kindt. I'm so glad to have this after much searching. I just stared reading it and I'm loving every panel, every page!!

• Upvote 1

Just found a cheap(ish) copy of the first Guardians of the Galaxy hardback. I'm particularly intrigued by this one as it's stories that weren't reprinted in the Star Wars weekly thirty odd years ago.

What's in that collection? Is it all the Guardians material from before the Steve Gerber Marvel Presents series started?

I mean, it'd still mainly be Gerber stories (Marvel Two In One and Defenders).

I think the first appearance of the Guardians was the only non-Gerber GotG stories until Gerber left Marvel Presents.

Yeah, all of the Steve Gerber GotG stories were worth reading.

They've apparently done two collections, and this one is supposed to be all of the GotG stories before they got their own series: that stuff's in the second collection. I think they're going to be repackaging both collections as one paperback before the film comes out.

Finally finished (after restarting) Prince of Cats last night. Holy crap, that was fantastic! From beginning to end, I was hooked. The art is sick and I loved seeing black culture mixed so beautifully with Shakespeare. The dialogue was just perfect and I love the character dynamics and interactions. I was worried in the early parts of the book it'd be a black vs whites type of book with the Capulets all seemingly being black and Romeo and the Montagues being white. But Mercutio being a black man helped softened that.

Rosalyn being a fleshed out character was also awesome and I like her having a relationship with Tybalt being the "Reason" or explanation of her not wanting to give Romeo the time or day. This book was a top notch winner. I can't wait to read more of this writer's stuff. Why isn't Ron Wimberly on more books, Big 2?

picked up Happy!, Fables 100 and a collection of Mike Carey stories with different artists called "One sided bargains".

Over the last two weeks I may have gone on a bit of a Brubaker/Philips binge, buying Criminal volumes 1-6 and both volumes of Incognito. I have Fatale in singles already. It's been many moons since I read/owned these wonderful stories, mostly in singles, so now that I have a wee extra money, it's time to replenish what was once lost.

Oh! I have not forgotten, Big Brother K. I liked it quite a bit but I wanted this other stuff first. I will get them in due time. I know, quibbilng over two trades after I've bought EIGHT!

I did think about getting all of these in omnibus editions, which look amazing, being all oversized and hardcovered. But I kind of like having the individual stories that I can pull and read whenever, rather than a coffee table-type book.

Slight tangent: Weren't they developing Sleeper as a movie? Starring Tom Cruise?

Also, Criminal needs the HBO treatment. Do it as a series of mini-series. Can't loose.