Sickboyfilms

Johns Accent

I was wandering around Sydney the other night and decided to resurrect a Hellblazer fanflic script I had begun a couple of years ago relocating it in my new home city.

One thing I've always wondered is what does Johns accent sound like? He's from Liverpool sure but did he stay scouse or pick up a London twang. (example, I grew up in Middlesbrough then moved South at 16, my accent is fairly neutral but the northern kicks in when I swear)

Any suggestions or clues I've missed from the comics?

Incidentally the Aussie inflection at the end of a sentence that makes a statement sound like a question is getting really fucking annoying.

Not sure. I figured him having the London accent, but regardless, I've always heard him having a voice similar to Cigarette Smoking Man from "X-Files", due to his long history of chain smoking, and it goes well with his aura of intrigue.

Well, don't ask me, but I've always imagined John with Irish accent. I don't know why, perhaps because when I started reading Hellblazer my English teacher was an Irish man (no similarity to John, though), and I caught the accent.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like he'd have a Monthy Python accent...

He sounds exactly like Mike Carey after a pint.

Except that:

Alan Moore had him speaking like Michael Caine,

Jamie Delano had him speaking like Bernard Hepton,

Garth Ennis had him speaking like Shane MacGowan before the teeth/booze,

Paul Jenkins had him speaking like Ricky Tomlinson,

Warren Ellis had him speaking like Warren Ellis.

And Brian Azzarello had him speaking like James Marsters doing John Lennon.

Well, don't ask me, but I've always imagined John with Irish accent. I don't know why, perhaps because when I started reading Hellblazer my English teacher was an Irish man (no similarity to John, though), and I caught the accent.

Depending on when you first encountered the character, it may also have something to do with the way that, further to Adrian's point, Garth Ennis frequently wrote Constantine with a distinctly Oirish turn of phrase.

I always used Elvis Costello as a model--a Liverpudlian who is roughly the same age but has been knocking around the world for the last 30 years so the accent isn't very thick. I remember Delano saying something along the lines of John's adapting his accent depending on where he is so when he's outside Britain it's toned down so he can be more easily understood. I'm sure when he's down at the pub with Chas his accent is thicker.

Guest spiderlegs

A slight Liverpool accent but with Bowie's actual vocal timbre. So, think Bowie doing a slight (not too heavy) Liverpool accent and that's 'ow John sounds bouncing 'round my 'ead...

<disclaimer...this is coming from a west coast yank....a yank who spent two years in London, but a english mangling Northern Californian none the less>

I can hear the traces of a scouser, but I always imagined affected East End over RP.

G-d, I'm such a freaking plastic limey sometimes that I want to take my own lunch money...

-b

Everyone assumes that all his lead characters do, but he's nothing like Spider Jerusalem or Jenny Sparks.

You have a considerably more generous view of Ellis' versatility than I do.

And those three seem NOTHING like Pete Wisdom...who came across like a JC knockoff in the first place...so it all comes full circle!

The Elvis Costello comparison might be fairly accurate, many Liverpudlians share Irish ancestry (along with Manchester and Birmingham) and like anyone living in London for a long period theres a bit of Mockney in there too.

<disclaimer...this is coming from a west coast yank....a yank who spent two years in London, but a english mangling Northern Californian none the less>

Come on, you know that west coast Americans are the only people in the world who speak a truly accentless English. :D :biggrin: :D

I always figured he had that muddy British public school accent that mixes up several areas.