JohnMcMahon

The Spoiler Filled Infinite Crisis Thread!

I picked this up to read over lunch because....ok, because I liked the Perez cover - HAPPY!?

Anyway, haven't read any of the lead-in books but have a vague idea of what's been happening thanks to general internet chatter and I quite liked the first issue.

I think the whole point of this thing is to make Superman cool again and given that they have me feeling sorry for him when I had no time for the character before, they might just pull it off.

WW and Bats were stone cold to poor old Clark - he should've taken Bat's head off after the "dead" comment (which was a top piece of zinging by Bruce, well played sir!). Art's gorgeous, in particular the double-page Villains spread and the shot of all the Omac's in the sky over Nightwing.

In a sign that I'm getting old and soppy, I may have uttered "damn right it is" under my breath after reading the last page.

I've been half-heartedly following what's been going on over the last few months, without actually reading any of the books, so I ended up reading this one too. I enjoyed it more than I expected to - Jiminez' art is gorgeous, and while there were various characters I'm unfamiliar with, the basic gist of what's happening was fairly easy to follow. I've got a reasonable latent interest in/fondness for the DCU stalwarts, and haven't been able to indulge it much over the last few years for various reasons (many of which being related to shite comics), so I'm curious to see where they're going with things. If all goes in a positive direction, I may even end up picking up a few more DCU comics next year, when the Crisis is over.

The "dead" comment was spot-on - good line, not entirely untrue (unfair, but it had a point), and funny. The last page possibly got a bit of a grin from me, too.

Maybe you can help me out a little - that's an older Superman from one of the realities that bit the big one in the original Crisis, right ?

So what's he trying to punch through ?

Well, I'm really not the person to ask, since my knowledge of the innermost secrets of the DCU is spectacularly limited, but based on what I figured out, what I already knew, and what other people have told me...

That's the Golden Age Superman (from Earth-2 - the precrisis version, not the Morrison/Quitely JLA version. It's where the '30s and '40s-era Golden Age heroes were still around). The woman is his version of Lois, and the red-haired guy in the background is Alexander Luthor, the son of the Earth-3 'good' Lex Luthor who was rapidly aged to precocious, red-headed maturity in Crisis On Infinite Earths (he appears briefly in Moore's Swamp Thing, in fact, where he's introduced by Constantine). After the original Crisis, those three weren't 'killed off' the way most of the alterna-Universe characters and settings were, but allowed to live on and age in some kind of self-contained mini-dimension. Or something. Presumably we're now finding out that they've been watching over "our" DCU for all that time, and now they're stepping in to sort out the mess that's been made of it.

As far as I can understand, the thing he's punching through is literally the boundary between where he is and the DC Universe - he's breaking through to save the day. As is only right and proper. Judging by the cover to #2, incidentally, the "her" referred to is probably Power Girl - they've apparently been doing weird things with her origin story in recent months, and this would suggest that she's actually a leftover from the pre-Crisis DCU.

I liked this one just fine. Nothing groundbreaking, but it was decent. The attack on the Freedom Fighters was downright vicious. And that big-ass splash page of the intergalatic armada was quite ace.

Ditto the dead comment. Glorious.

Its was ok. My only problem with it is the issue was mostly setup, which is expected in a 1st issue. I hope it gets going right along. I am glad to see the "original" Superman back. I am curious as to some of his comments, "We've given them a gift they've thrown away. We sacrificed everything for them." What gift?

and Alexander's whispered comment to Supes, "we can save her." Who?

*nevermind, should have read Mark's comment more carefully. He's probably right again.*

Edited by Shawn

The vibe I got was that the original heroes gave up their existence so these new guys could do their thing and what do they get ?

Batman zinging Supes while Diana snaps some necks.

I think I'm going to love this even though I'm normally all about the grim'n'gritty.

I'm with you, John. I'm not expecting this to be the bset comic of the year, or anything, but I'm generally liking the ideas various DC bods are talking about for the future of the universe ("let Grant Morrison help sort it out" is a pretty solid starting point, for my money), so I'm curious, not to mention slightly childishly excited, to see how they're going to get there.

I finally have some idea what this whole thing is about after reading this thread.

I'm really not in a mood to be bothered with the DCU right now, but was wondering what the big fuss would end up leading to.

I like the sound of this premise.

Newsarama has good write-ups on the various IC minis that wrapped recently.

Mark, what did you think of the Bat signal being splashed across the Spectre's chest ?

Fucking wicked image, if nothing else. My inner bat-geek feels like pointing out that it's a bit of a continuity glitch, since the Batsignal was taken down a year or so ago. But that'd be nitpicking (besides, in this month's Gotham Central they wheeled out an "emergency" signal).

I have no idea of the background to that section of the story - I'm assuming it relates to Day Of Vengeance, what with the Spectre and Captain Marvel turning up - but it made a lot of sense out of the solicitation for the next issue of Gotham Central. Apparently it involves Det. Allen (that's the black guy who we saw with Montoya and Captain Marvel, if you're not familiar with him) searching for his family against the backdrop of A CITY GONE MAD!!! Sure, they've already hit Gotham with an earthquake, a plague, a No-Man's Land, and a colossal gang war in the last few years, so perhaps dropping an exploding mountain on it as well could be seen as overkill (who'd actually still want to live there? I mean, really?), but hey - it'll be interesting to get a street-level view on the whole shebang, which has always been one of the best features of the title anyway.

I really enjoyed it. The art was awesome, and it really had the atmosphere of the original Crisis.

I've read the lead in stories. They really would spectacularly make the story have more sense. Its a bit rediculous with The OMAC Project though, because you need to read four other issues in Superman and Wonderwoman titles for it to actually make sense. That's just bad organisation.

But Infinite Crisis was cool. I can't wait to see what happens.

(I just hope they don't kill off The Flash.)

Hello, haven't posted in a while due to moving and stuck on dial-up which makes me not want get on the net much at all. Anyway, I've been reading all the tie in series and have pretty much gotten back into comics (all dc all the time, w/the exception of johnny boy) full time and have recouped much of the last 2.5 years of DC titles I missed out on minus the Superman titles (they are next).

Ok, I like all the tie-in series. IC #1 was too much set-up and what the hell was Mongul doing there? "hey gang, i happened to be in the neighborhood, thought i'd check the ruins of the watchtower then get beat by you all. Anyone have some ice for my head?"

From Villains United: Anyone else notice that Lex on the cover looks like a bald Ed Harris (Hollywood actor), and when were there 2 Lex Luthors? Is the one in the mechanical suit the throwback from an alternate earth? Is the one in the business suit the "good" luthor from the hardcover, JLA: Earth 2? I'm confused.

When (what comic) did Luthor get thrown out of the white house, did it happen in Supes books, a mini-series, or Batman/Superman? How essential to Superman continuity is the Batman/Superman series?

Finally, with JLA Classified ending a hilarious, "I Can't Believe It's Not the JLA" storyline only three months ago, how the hell can Max be so evil? Is that series outside of continuity, 4 months off, secret stories we haven't heard of and so they actually have taken place in continuity just a few days/months/years earlier? The Sue Dibney being pregnant joke smacked of poking fun at Identity Crisis.

Thanks for any and all answers. I don't have any fellow comic geeks to talk to in RL and I don't want to bother the people working at a comic shop too much, although if I say, "Am I missing any series so this makes sense?" It may provoke conversation since a sale may be imminent. ;)

From Villains United: Anyone else notice that Lex on the cover looks like a bald Ed Harris (Hollywood actor), and when were there 2 Lex Luthors?  Is the one in the mechanical suit the throwback from an alternate earth?  Is the one in the business suit the "good" luthor from the hardcover, JLA: Earth 2?  I'm confused.

When (what comic) did Luthor get thrown out of the white house, did it happen in Supes books, a mini-series, or Batman/Superman?  How essential to Superman continuity is the Batman/Superman series?

Well, bear in mind that I've only read issue #6 of Villains United, and haven't been following Superman/Batman, but I think I can answer that...the Luthor who's on the run in the green and purple mecha-suit is, as far as I can tell, the "real" DCU Luthor, who was President, then got taken down in the first arc of Superman/Batman (that's why he was referred to as a "fugitive" in Infinite Crisis #1 - he was essentially chased down the street by Superman in front of the global press, shouting "I'm an evil supervillain!" so his credibility is somewhat shot). The Luthor who's been manipulating the team in Villains United as Mockingbird is...well, your guess is as good as mine. We've just found out that he's from a different universe, and that's all we know. He doesn't seem to be a good guy, though, so he probably isn't the guy from Morrison/Quitely's Earth-2. This is going to get confusing...

Finally, with JLA Classified ending a hilarious, "I Can't Believe It's Not the JLA" storyline only three months ago, how the hell can Max be so evil?  Is that series outside of continuity, 4 months off, secret stories we haven't heard of and so they actually have taken place in continuity just a few days/months/years earlier?  The Sue Dibney being pregnant joke smacked of poking fun at Identity Crisis.

Um...it's probably best not to think about it too hard. Your brain will hurt too much (although, apparently, the "I Can't Believe It's Not The JLA" arc was written before Identity Crisis was published, so the pregnancy joke was probably just very, very unfortunate timing). It seems to have been out of continuity, or at least out of current continuity.

A cunning piece of marketting by my local comic's dealer - namely sticking copies of the Crisis trade on the shelf beside Infinite Crisis #1 means I had to pick up a copy.

I am thinking Mockingbird Lex is the Lex from "What ever happened to the man of tomorrow?"

I may have completely missed this, but I thought Mockingbird-Lex was the real Lex. The one in charge of the Society was the alterna-universe one. I was pretty sure that he tells Pariah this just before killing him.

EDIT: And I believe that the Lex in the old-school robot suit was the "real" Mockingbird Lex as well. My, this is confusing.

No, you're right. I had them the wrong way round - as I said, I only read the final part of Villains United, and apparently didn't read it closely enough.

This stuff is barmy, there's something oddly appealing at how totally fucking dumb and nuts it all is.

Bingo.

I like how both have their own agendas. Pariah revealed that alterna-Luthor is planning a betrayal of some kind (I think it'll involve selling out the Society for his own personal gain). While at the same time, our Luthor says that his opponent is playing with the tiny pieces, while he's aiming for something much greater.

While the main story itself is interesting, it's the details of the stories that really have got me interested.

Oh, and I hope we get some more Deadshot. He is the cat's pyjamas.