JohnMcMahon

Going to London Oct 22-24

Giant sand you say? Hmmmm.

How much are tickets?

Well, Giant Sand is on the Thursday.

Think the tickets are sold out.

I doubt anyone will be interested in this, but Alien v Predator is released next weekend.

Otherwise, on Sunday:

Silver Rocket, Monotreme Records and Jonson Family proudly present:

'An All Day Gig'...

DATE: Sunday 24th October, 2004

VENUE: The Rhythm Factory, 16-18, Whitechapel Rd, London, E1

TIME: 3pm-11pm - £7 (advance)/£8 (on the day)

Appearing are:

65daysofstatic:

With loads of airplay by Peel, Lamacq and even Zane Lowe their debut album 'The Fall Of Math' is also getting excellent reviews in ORGAN, Kerrang! The Wire, Rock Sound, and a host of other mags. They have been described as Squarepusher meets Mogwai, or the Aphex Twin with guitar, but that doesn't do their innovative (some say revolutionary) sound full justice. Thier live shows are viciously euphoric, frenetic, overwhelming, bordering on chaos and really, really loud.

Jason and the Astronauts:

South coast dwelling post hardcore band - unpredictably tuneful, noisy

and clean limbed.

Cove:

Taking the POWER trio as their motto, driving rhythms slashing guitars super rock riffing and a

Shellac worthy sense of timing.

Help She Can't Swim:

Fantastic lo-fi girl fronted hyperactive indie rock, think Bikini Kill/Huggy Bear crossed with Sonic Youth,

Pretty Girls make Graves and Gravy Train.

Spraydog:

Long time Peel faves making well loved indie rock, like Dinosaur Jr, My Bloody Valentine, the Delgados and Sonic Youth.

Charlottefield:

Fat Cat/Jonson family's best singles of recent times have come from this collision of Captain Beefheart rhythms, The Fall's sensibilities and Fugazi's sonics.

The Edmund Fitzgerald:

Highly intellectual but lovable math rock from oxford, it's a mystery to all how they manage their superb timings.

Phil Collins 3:

Imagine the Nation of Ulysses wearing crazy costumes playing the beginners guide to melt banana. Now you're half way to the eccentric genius of the PC3.

Ship's a Going Down:

Post-rock with angular guitars in the style of Slint and Billy Mahonie mixed with a touch of Godspeed beauty...

Don't rule me out yet, i've applied for a hardship grant from uni seeing i'm so skint. if it comes through next week i may very well put in an appearence. Strange thing was i had a dream the other night in which i recieved the hardship grant and it was for over £23,000, lets hold out hope eh?

Good stuff man, really hope you can make it down - sure you could use a little break given all the shit you've had to put up with recently.

Rumours are again flying that the Ross/Morrison interview will not be happening and I still haven't gotten tickets for myself and James.

edit : Apparently Ross confirmed on his radio show that he won't be there.

Bah, the foppish lump.

Wonder if they'll use the same stunning video technology they used last year?

That will be...surreal.

I don't really have any faith in Kev, his organisational skills over the last couple of events have been awful and I'll be more surprised if Morrison is there then if he's not.

I'm concerned about the lack of "external" publicity.

No fliers and as far as I have seen the only TV or press publicity is Ross mentioning it.

We shall see what Time Out has to say tomorrow.

I feel a bit guilty for putting the boot into the guy - I had a really good time at the Bristol con but his London efforts...had a cracking time at London 2003 but that had little to do with the actual con itself.

I'm not sure whose surprised face at learning they were meant to be a guest was funniest in 2003 - Mike Careys or Jocks. I think Jock gets the nod as he was holding impromptu portfolio reviews in the bar at the time and was clearly quite willing to participate in the con - if only he'd been bloody told!

The fact that Kev apparently hasn't even managed to place programs in local comic shops is rather worrying. Did you get your table sorted out ok ? Seem to recall you being left out by mistake first time round.

I've seen nothing about this at any comics shop in London, and I've been into most of the ones I know of in the last week or two. Ho hum. Ah, well...at least it'll be a laugh meeting up with you lot.

In other (good) news - I'm finishing working at the CRE this week, so I'll be able to get horribly drunk all weekend without having to worry about work on Monday.

Not sure who that's good news for, actually...

I have to catch a bus at 7.15 on Saturday morning and I'm going to a gig in Swansea on Friday where the doors won't open until 10.

I'm going to be an absolute joy to be around!

It's going to be like 'Revenge of the Crotchety Hungover Welshman' all over again...

I know a fantastic (and relatively cheap) Chinese place just off Leicester Square...

I'm not a big Chinese eater myself but if that suits everyone else then we might as well go for it.

What about a time ?

Presumably some folks want to check out the Morrison yoke, that probably won't wrap till 8.30 or so.

I'm not a big Chinese eater myself

That shouldn't be a problem, most Chinese are quite small.

Tee hee hee.

http://members.aol.com/comicsalmanack/flier.doc

Can anyone who is going to be in London this week (or close to London) please print out some copies of this (double sided A4) and distribute them.

Not sure why we need to do Guerrilla Marketing for an event this size, but it seems we do.

I'd be happy to do distribution, but I actually can't. No printer, see?

So far then....

Thursday : The Friend At Hand from 6pm.

Friday : The Ship from 6pm.

Saturday : Con, Irish Bar & Chinese.

Sunday : Ade's tour at some point and curry afterwards.

Mark, do you have a mobile number you could PM me ?

Matt, I might give you a shout or drop you a text Friday just to see if you're going to make it down.