JohnMcMahon

Going to London Oct 22-24

Tom,

don't forget to send me that demo & band bio for passing on to my friend. (After I have copied it.)

I had a really good day on Saturday. I got there at about 12.30 and had a good look around and bought a few issues, then I met Tim and he inspired me to go on a quest for issue 27, and I found it. So I feel pretty chuffed now.

Now I'm wondering if I can get to Bristol.

The hotel (as chosen by the regretably absent Matt, you were missed man) made an immediate good impression by letting me check in early so I could enjoy a much needed shower.

I was annoyed that i couldn't make it on saturday but not one of my ebay buyers has sent me a cheque in the last week, i was depending on having an extra £50 which would've sorted me for the day in london but alas no. but fear not for if there is a bristol con then i will be there, come hell or highwater, before hell freezes over etc etc.

Two hours later we decided we should go check out the con. 

Five mintues after that, we had.

In fairness, the pitching sessions were as good as their predecessors - if only for the shocked look on Tom's face when some big haired freak pitched his racist sex comic!  Moving swiftly along, after that we went for a quick pint and then returned for the Grant Morrison interview....which never happened.  Grant no-showed.

Well at least all i missed was the fine company, So Mr Morrison and Mr Ross are not Mr Sutherlands best friends at the moment.

Apparently Kevin Sutherland if offering a partial refund for anybody who claims it, i will be. might as well put my superpass to some good.

It was great fun.

John neglects to mention that our rough appearance on Saturday wasn't helped by the fact that the hotel room was basically a plush sauna, so the usual hangover was exacerbated by us losing a further five pints of sweat as we slept.

Still, £100 for four nights? Bargain!

Double - You should've come over to meet us, or got hold of our phone numbers or something. Unless you did and I was so zoned that I didn't even register you (if this is the case, sorry).

Oh guys this just topped off my week-end. Mike Ploog who was signing and stuff came and sat by our table in the bar. So me and Leila start chatting to him. I go to the gents, and come back with Leila having given him my notepad, and waiting for me on the table is a sketch for me. Yay! That's how much my girlfriend rocks! It now sits in my Thing DVD case (he was storyboardist along with effects guy Rob Bottin, who he says he speaks to about once every 5 years - Mike himself moved to Devon some years ago, which is where I was before Brighton for 8 years). He can't believe the attention he still gets for the Thing, more than anything else he ever worked on.

Did James get in touch with you Tom ?  They have a load of Clerks toys in FP London.

He most certainly did. He's a good 'un, that boy.

John neglects to mention that our rough appearance on Saturday wasn't helped by the fact that the hotel room was basically a plush sauna, so the usual hangover was exacerbated by us losing a further five pints of sweat as we slept.

Too fucking right, I felt positively svelt when I left on Sunday morning. How was that early morning fire-drill after?

Still, £100 for four nights? Bargain!

Ah, Scabo. You can take the boy out of Yorkshire...

Friday night in The Ship was our biggest turn out - myself, James, Joe, Mark, Ade, Hugh and Mike.  Hugh put us all to shame, arriving in a sharp as shit suit that made him look like a lethal assassin!  You'll see what I mean when Ade uploads his pictures.  There were naked faeries and curry.  As great as it was to meet anyone, it was really cool to get to spend a decent chunk of time with Hugh who had to rush off early last year.

Thanks for the kind words John - a lethal assassin, I like that!

Anyway, it was a great night, I enjoyed myself immensely. Just a pity I couldn't manage to hook up with you lot on Saturday, but I blame myself for not getting to the Con till 4. Tried the bars in the hotel but no joy. I'd been looking forward to sinking a few more sociable drinks with you all, too.

You missed us by about a half-hour, we got to the con at 1, hit the bar at 1.01, left the bar at 3.20 and went to the pitching sessions at 3.30.

The fire-drill proved to be something of a boon in the end as it meant that we made breakfast, I was able to nip out for a quick trip to Gosh comics and we were all up in time to meet Ade earlier than expected, meaning I had the pleasure of enjoying a game of footie and pints with him.

Bristol is a whole different kind of weekend - it's a proper convention, with a great big hall full of comics and a whole series of really interesting talks.

This year marked the end of the official STH presence at the London Festival (after two WHOLE years of attending), at least for a couple of years.

edit : Sorry Ade, I'm going to have a bit of a bitch here. I can't believe that Kev had the BALLS to state on the C2000 mailing list that the non-Morrison thing ended up going well. The hall was less than half-full, those present were all simmering with barely contained rage and the DC guys were clearly quite annoyed with the set-up. That and the vast amount of questions were SHITE. Granted, there were one or two funny moments but that was it.

Maybe I was unduly put off my the drunken moron who was there for a while, be interested to hear what everyone else thought of it.

As someone suggested, it would've been a lot more enjoyable if they'd just done a straight Q&A with the two DC guys (and Si, who seemed like a worryingly smart and informed bloke).

any cool Vertigo bits coming out of it? any good Hellblazer news for example?

too bad about Strangehaven, btw, John. I'd expected it to show, as it has been sollicited in the Diamond Previews a month or so ago.

Maybe I was unduly put off my the drunken moron who was there for a while, be interested to hear what everyone else thought of it. 

As someone suggested, it would've been a lot more enjoyable if they'd just done a straight Q&A with the two DC guys (and Si, who seemed like a worryingly smart and informed bloke).

I though it was ok.

Not ideal by any stretch of the imagnation but it wasn't exactly Kev's fault. I can understand them wanting to use the existing Ross footage, the fellow in front of John was indeed a [over-used word] of the lowest order but I'll be honest, aside from my heckles being ignored, I thought it was alright.

any cool Vertigo bits coming out of it? any good Hellblazer news for example?

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

*cough*

There was no news, of any sort, from any publisher.

We all totally failed to actually ask Mike if there were any trades of his run lined up, which was something of an oversight on our part.

In fairness, we weren't. He was only around for a little while at the start of the evening.

I'm personally a little reticent about bringing up work stuff with him cause, y'know, who wants to talk their job when trying to enjoy an evening out ?

Well I was trying to be polite, but now you've come right out and said it...

Seriously though, I know Mark was asking him about some Batman stuff and Mike seemed quite happy to indulge him.

Bastards. You're all bastards.

*sulk*

I had a really good day on Saturday. I got there at about 12.30 and had a good look around and bought a few issues, then I met Tim and he inspired me to go on a quest for issue 27, and I found it. So I feel pretty chuffed now.

Well done for finding issue 27. I hope I it's as good as I hyped it to be.

Tim

edit : Sorry Ade, I'm going to have a bit of a bitch here.  I can't believe that Kev had the BALLS to state on the C2000 mailing list that the non-Morrison thing ended up going well.  The hall was less than half-full, those present were all simmering with barely contained rage and the DC guys were clearly quite annoyed with the set-up.  That and the vast amount of questions were SHITE.  Granted, there were one or two funny moments but that was it.

You don't want to take my comments on the V to mean I object to criticism of what is after all someone else's event. Certainly not from paying customers like yourselves. I just like people to give it some perspective. Note that the £5 covered signings by all and sundry - I got to chat with David Lloyd, my mate Ali got to meet Mike Ploog, the majority of the events in the lecture room were well-received.

Please note that I took my £10 refund option on the Ross thing as early as I could - although I apparently have to send my tickets to Kev. I think you're all mugs if you paid for it. ;-)