Mark

Animal Man

Sorry to start a whole new thread for this, but I've just got round to reading all of Morrison's AM issues, and I think I'm in love. Best Morrison I've ever read...intelligent without being pretentious, post-structural without being unreadable, character-driven and warm without being sentimental...near-as-damnit perfect all round, really. Beautiful.

This is a thread worth starting!

My first exposure to Morrison was The Invisibles vol 1 which left me colder than a starkers bloke in the North Pole.

Animal Man...starts off good...gets better...and the end ? It's better than Preacher, not quite as good as Hitman and still bloody good.

I give Morrison's run on "Animal Man" a 4.0 grade (perfect!).

There's only 3 series I have ever given that rating to:Morrison's "Doom Patrol" and "Sandman" are the other two.

They are my triumvirate of perfect comic books! Nothing touches them, on my list!

It was my first exposure to this Grant Morrison guy, actually, besides the two-parter on "Hellblazer".

My Vertigo fixation started with "Sandman", then went into "Hellblazer", and then "Swamp Thing". I loved all 3 series so much, I decided I HAD to read MORE Vertigo books. They were like nothing I had ever read (I had only read Marvel comics up to this point).

Since I'm involved in so many environmental/animal rights things, I decided "Animal Man" would be my next exposure to Vertigo. I started out picking up some of the Jamie Delano issues, after all he had been grand on H.B. They were....ok.

Then, I discovered a new comic book store in Canada that had TONS of comics! Lo and behold, they had every issue of Morrison's run on "Animal Man" (minus 2 issues) for 1$! I bought them all over a two week period, and fell in love with "Animal Man"! It even beat out "Hellblazer" for best comic I was reading at the time!

Morrison's final issue will always stand up as one of the greatest pieces of literature in my mind.

Unfortunately, it would be about 8 years before I discovered the genius of "Doom Patrol".

Animal Man is great stuff. Still haven't finished it. I like how Buddy is still kind of new to the powers thing and not perfect or totally in control at all times.

That line still gives me a chill, John.

Morrison's Animal Man was the absolute business. Top notch. And I could've cried at the ending. Well, if I wasn't such a big hard tough Scotsman, that is.

The series as a whole seemed to vary between fairly good to tedious (with occasional bursts of brilliance) after GM left it. But I totally lost interest around #80-#90ish, when Delano was writing it. Absolute pants.

Still, I've got me a signed #1 at home.

Oh Jesus - I bought the entire Delano run at Bristol last year and it's really, really shit. The Pugh art is gorgeously grotesque but the stories....soooo bad.

Plus, lesbians.

Possibly the only time when I've felt that lesbians were an unnecessay addition to anything.

Delano's run on AM is one of the worst runs on a book I've ever read. Vertigo had no right claiming the book as one of it's own.

Edgy fucking horror indeed. It's a fucking superhero book.

So I'm not alone in thinking that Delano is an over-rated pretentious writer who never uses one word when thirty-six will do?

Nope.

I think it's only Christian who thinks otherwise isn't it?

His first 3 issues of Hellblazer were good though and the one with the monkey.

So I'm not alone in thinking that Delano is an over-rated pretentious writer who never uses one word when thirty-six will do?

Ouch! I wouldn't go quite that far but he has written some really awful stuff - Animal Man and Cruel & Unusal both sprint to mind.

I thought Outlaw Nation, though flawed, was a good read and Hell Eternal is one of my favourite ever Vertigo one-shots. He's too obvious in a lot of his pontificating.

His purple prose is awful, but he can tell a damn fine story when he's on form.

maybe I'm doing him an injustice, there're still huge chunks of his HB stuff I haven't read.

I'm trying to buy up all of Delano's issues. I've found some, maybe 16 so far, and think he's a hit and miss writer. One book or story arc can be engaging and another not. I don't know about the blathering part, though: some of his narrative is quite poetic, an effect no other HB author has duplicated, though Ennis has tried.

Prefer Ennis/Jenkins' no-nonsense illustration to Delano's flowery monologues. Can't imagine John as the poetic type...

I loved Animal Man totally.

As with most of Morrisons writting i found it to be informative surreal and engaging.

I haven't read much of Delano's writing, apart from Outlaw Nation which i enjoyed, well most of it apart from the ending.

Aye, you're right there John, but I also agree with James.

I've only read just over half of Delano's run (including Original Sins), but even The Fear Machine could have done with being a few issues shorter.

I'll probably still chase down the 15 or so that I'm missing though.

Loved the first issue, but haven't read the second yet (due to much quaffing of the Guinness and the tequila last night)

Fear Machine's a great idea and fine basic story, but suffers too much from being drawn out over nine issues. Loved the fact that it's the women, not John, who save the world.