Mark

Animal Man

Quickly:WE3 is great, but way too straight-forward for Morrison. I'm surprised he's writing something like that!

OK, after Morrison left "Animal Man"....It should have been cancelled!!!

Tom Veitch tried to turn the book into a straight superhero title, then DC decided to take it in as part of Vertigo. Now, I liked Delano first story-arc (which was actually still pre-Vertigo), but the rest of his run was just....not very good! Although, it did get worse after Delano left!!!

I respect Delano for his views and for being a geniunly nice guy, and I do feel he CAN be a great writer. BUT, there's not a lot by Delano I've really enjoyed.

His run on "Hellblazer" was just perfect.

Although I will admit "Fear Machine" was the weak point. It just went on and on and on and on. Surprisingly, Delano feels that was the strongest things he's ever written!

"The Horrorist" is one of my all-time favourite comics, EVER. Genius!

Since "Hellblazer" is my favourite title, this gets Delano a lot of points.

Besides that, his story on Legends of the Dark Knight was an A+ effort. That Man Bat mini-series was a good read. "Hell Eternal" was pretty damned good.

I adored "Tainted"!

I haven't really liked anything else by Delano.

I think it's just funny that Delano can absolutely shine if it involved Constantine, but anything he writes without Constantine just doesn't quite work.

And yes....even though I loved the prose style on H.B. and felt it did belong on the book, when he was using that same style on that pretentious drug-induced "World Without End", it just made my head spin and my eyes roll.

Animal Man was excellent, and i have yet to obtain the 2nd and 3rd trades, but i've read it all... Fter Morrison, Milligan's arc was barely okay, but readable nonetheless. after that, it should have been cancelled.

Delano's purple prose suited me fine, and he DID give us Mourning Of The Magician and Dead Boy's Heart...

Animal Man was, in a word, great

DC gave Morrison the wheel on a character that no one cared about and made him relevant. Just when you think Morrison is going one way with it, he turns the whole thing upside down. And it all works. AM showed how intelligent and well written superhero books could be. By the time its all over you feel like you traveled with AM through this great journey then left with a sense of completion.

And yes this title should have stopped after Morrison.

I'm going to stick up for Milligan's storyline here. It suffers because it follows one of the best single issues in comics history. If it had been the first 6 issues, I'm sure it would be remembered a lot more fondly. It had some great stuff in there, a little confused at times but worth it for the Green Cigarette alone!

:)

i bet the Green Ciggie would be Constantine's favorite superhewro! :D

I'm going to stick up for Milligan's storyline here. It suffers because it follows one of the best single issues in comics history. If it had been the first 6 issues, I'm sure it would be remembered a lot more fondly. It had some great stuff in there, a little confused at times but worth it for the Green Cigarette alone!

It's been a while since I read them, but did Milligan do the storyline with "Schrodinger's Pizza"? I thought that one was ace, but anything following GM's run was going to look poor in comparison, regardless of how good it actually was.

Yes, that was all Milligan's story-arc, and to be honest, I would have totally adored this story-line if it was a special mini-series, or a story-line in "Shade", or in something else by Milligan. It's pure surrealist gold, as only Peter can do it!

My problem is, I couldn't figure out why this story was in "Animal Man"! To me, it just read like Milligan was writing a story-line for "Shade" and threw Buddy Baker in.....