Hmpf

The webcomics thread

Josh    6
Tell me, what is it that you like about DTWOF? Do you know many lesbians in your non-virtual life? Do you have any characters that you particularly like or identify with, and how long have you been reading it?

DTWOF is well written and well drawn, visually charming, erudite, down-to-earth and often moving. That it's predominantly lesbian oriented is completely incidental. The only thing I don't like about it is that a few of the characters are very similar in appearance, so I occasionally have trouble following strips; that might be why I don't particularly identify with any of the characters. I've been reading sporadically since about 1997, I think — I recall reading in a work lunch break and getting upset by the dog-dying storyline. Back then it was only available online on comicazee.com. And I don't know any more lesbians than average, I guess :-?... it was a lesbian friend who suggested I might like DTWOF, but we've dropped out of contact.

I don't think I replied to this until now, but I completely agree with your praise of DTWOF. There's so much to say about it, though I think you and I might be the only people interested in reading it, which is a shame, because it really is a good strip, that just about anyone could get some enjoyment out of.

What do you think of the most recent pages? On her website Bechdel says she's sorry that she could not keep up with the news enough to wind news-based political analogies into the writing, but I think the lack of them adds to the impact of her latest, though it's not without a political reference:

http://www.sover.net/~nichael/d2wo4/epis490.html

Raffi is one of my favorite characters, though I'm not entirely sure why. Mo is the one I most identify with (the woman in the striped shirt, of those of you new to DTWOF). She is also the person in the strip who is to my mind most like Christian.

I just think DTWOF is very well-written. It's just funny that one can get something this good free (though infrequently), while one can feel lucky to find good writing in the books that one pays for.

jaynova    1

I guess this is a good place to put this...I am reviewing Ted Rall's Attitude 3: The New Subversive Online Cartoonists for The Ohioana Quarterly. It features the people behind "A Lesson is Learned", "I Drew This" , and "Partially Clips", among many others. Good stuff.

Xan    0

A few from me:

Sorcery 101- Supernatural alternate-reality with plot AND funny. And the main character is a chain-smoking British fuck-up.

Fallen Angels Used Books- A pretty serious urban fantasy with a touch of the surreal (think Charles DeLint with a bit less whimsy). Awesome art, sometimes a little hard to follow, but quite good.

Ozy and Millie- Probably my favorite webcomic of all time. Cute 12-year-old animals somehow manage to make me snicker more than anyone else with great social commentary and randomness that hits just right.

Mark    332

Heh. It's like I keep saying...if only they'd listen to him properly... ;)

Seeing this thread reminds me that I promised to e-mail you a load of Doonesbury strips, which I've quite forgotten to actually do. I'll get on that right now.

JasonT    438
I don't think I replied to this until now...

Well, don't feel too bad, because I haven't been checking the thread anyway, and only just found your reply. :)

I'd like to see more of Raffi. The character can be annoying, but not unrealistically; and I'd like to see more of how he deals with his family situation when he's outside of the home, like that panel in 488 when someone at school calls him "lesbo-boy".

I just think DTWOF is very well-written. It's just funny that one can get something this good free (though infrequently), while one can feel lucky to find good writing in the books that one pays for.

Absolutely. It's quality stuff, which doesn't have to be given away on the web.

This might be a good place to link this one-pager by Neil Gaiman and Bryan Talbot, with thanks to bryan-talbot.com for the tipoff.

Josh    6

I don't think I replied to this until now...

Well, don't feel too bad, because I haven't been checking the thread anyway, and only just found your reply. :)

I'd like to see more of Raffi. The character can be annoying, but not unrealistically; and I'd like to see more of how he deals with his family situation when he's outside of the home, like that panel in 488 when someone at school calls him "lesbo-boy".

We have seen how he reacts inside the home, which I thought was good writing. With "Die, Nazi mother!" as a bonus. :biggrin:

Anyway, yeah, I'm very much interested in what happens with him, and with Clarice and Toni.

I've grown to like the Raffi character a lot. I'm not sure if the peak at his tastes in the most recent issue is something that will go anywhere, and I haven't seen anything else in the strip like that before, but you never know. 8-)

Absolutely. It's quality stuff, which doesn't have to be given away on the web.

It may be a good strategy for selling her TPBs. It can be distracting getting the strips once very two weeks to a month or more. The TPBs may be the best way to read her strips.

This might be a good place to link this one-pager by Neil Gaiman and Bryan Talbot, with thanks to bryan-talbot.com for the tipoff.

Ulp, gotta run, I'll check this out when I get back!

JasonT    438
I've grown to like the Raffi character a lot. I'm not sure if the peak at his tastes in the most recent issue is something that will go anywhere, and I haven't seen anything else in the strip like that before, but you never know. 8-)

I hope and trust it won't go anywhere. :) I assumed Bechdel just stuck something on the screen that she thought was funny, rather than trying to represent Raffi's tastes... but who's to say? If that's what he's into, it raises some interesting psychological questions.

It may be a good strategy for selling her TPBs. It can be distracting getting the strips once very two weeks to a month or more. The TPBs may be the best way to read her strips.

Certainly. And they deserve to be collected and paid for, anyway.

It occurred to me once that Vertigo could publish the whole lot, from the beginning, in instalments of 22 pages worth of strips each month. But much of the commentary in the older strips has dated now.

Josh    6

I hope and trust it won't go anywhere. :) I assumed Bechdel just stuck something on the screen that she thought was funny, rather than trying to represent Raffi's tastes... but who's to say? If that's what he's into, it raises some interesting psychological questions.

Yes, especially in relation to his mothers. 8-)

Certainly. And they deserve to be collected and paid for, anyway.

It occurred to me once that Vertigo could publish the whole lot, from the beginning, in instalments of 22 pages worth of strips each month. But much of the commentary in the older strips has dated now.

I don't think it would be Vertigo's line, because V prefers fake lesbians intended to tittilate straight male fanboys. But if it did do that, it'd get Bechdel's work out to a new audience.

I may be unusual in this regard, but I like reading fiction with old references to political thinking and events. If it's a period I haven't lived through, I can learn something from it, and if I was around during that time, it's a trip down memory lane.

Mickey Eye    153

This thread lacks www.gunnerkrigg.com which is my standard response to the webcomics question. The only former keenspot one I keep up with these days is Schlockmercenary.com but it's been a bit hit and miss recently.

Other than that, nothing-better.com is pretty good but the update schedule has just changed from three times a week to once so while the pacing is still good it feels like it ground to a halt.

Comics you've mentioned which are infact shit, include Alpha Shade. I read this from when they started, seriously 3 months to get to any action is not how to pace a webcomic. Also if their comments are still up on drunkduck.com peruse those to find out how not to respond to constructive critiscm. Or if you just want a laugh.

Mickey Eye    153

I don't understand, what traffic where?

drunkduck.com is where Alpha Shade was originally hosted, it featured a reader comment section which encouraged criticsm. They didn't like it very much and it was pretty amusing was all I was saying.

I'm glad you enjoy the comic, and don't give a shit about wether or not other people like it. If you for some reason took it as a personal attack I am sorry and if it makes you feel any better I like nearly every other comic you mentioned. (Not that you give a shit ofcourse)

Josh    6

I'm sorry. My comment that had been previous to this one was pretty lame, and I got rid of just now, and then saw your reply.

I"m surprised you liked so many of the strips I posted. Some of the strips I follow have big flaws for sure. To be honest I have trouble following or even understanding some of them, but something about them makes them enjoyable for me to read (often the artwork). I'd include AlphaShade in that general category....

I haven't liked some of the strips others have posted, but I look at every link in case I'll find a new one I will like.

Mickey Eye    153

Heh well I did say "nearly". I have yet to come across the perfect webcomic, though I've read many that are on a par with published authors.

I don't know if it's still around but Sacred Pie used to be one of my favourite flawed comics. The flaw being the writer had abosultly no idea where he was going with it. It was still fun though. Another was 64 Demons. The premise being the main character had to hunt down 64 demons... pretty simple except that by a year and a half we still haden't seen 1 demon, the same writer then went on to do Dominion which had astonishing art, a professional doing colours and.... no plot.'

But seriously, check out Gunnerkrigg and Nothing Better. Very much at the high end of the talent pool.

If you want the exact oposite of Alphashade talent wise then try Mindmistress, the art was terrible but the writing was quite compelling.

Josh    6

I find I'm liking Gunnerkrigg Court and Nothing Better, so thank you for posting them. I'll check out the other strips as time allows.

About AlphaShade, I best liked the earlier strips, especially the war stuff, that I thought was very well done, to where I think the creators actually have some idea how small military units actions work. Since then it seems to have lost focus, or perhaps there are two or three separate stories that the creators have glommed together and the strip passes seamlessly back and forth between them without any explanation. Whatever its other flaws, it'd be a stronger comic if it could pick one and stay with that.

Mickey Eye    153

If you liked Gunnerkrigg Court there is a fairly good interview with the writer up at Comixpedia.com

In other news I signed up for drunkducks cheaper version of the Webcomic Secret Santa and have to do a guest strip for the shittest psuedo manga that only has 7 pages and no main characters yet. Next year I'm going to make them have limits on who can ask for guest art. Yes I don't actually run a comic right now but atleast all I asked for was some forum avatars.