Hmpf

The webcomics thread

Mark    332
Would the fact that I didn't find that particularly funny be an indication that I need to read more Achewood or avoid it entirely in the future?

I'd suggest the latter, probably because I just Do Not Fucking Get Achewood. I've tried it repeatedly and extensively, and I don't think a single strip has ever made me laugh. Clearly it's got Marmite-like qualities, 'cos everyone who loves it seems to really love it, while those of us who don't are completely baffled.

Vagabond    154

A lot of the humor in achewood comes from the idiosyncratic ways in which some characters talk and the anti-punchlines, but more than half the strips are funny in a basic joke-making way.

Mark    332
I've tried it repeatedly and extensively, and I don't think a single strip has ever made me laugh.

Honestly, I wasn't exaggerating. Glad you enjoy it - enough people do for me to be happy to accept it's something I don't get, rather than there being nothing there to get - but I was just warning Inca that there's a definite chance it might just not be for him. Maybe try a few weeks' worth of strips, and if none make you so much as smile, that'd probably be time to give up.

JasonT    438

You didn't even like the Finland one that was posted here a couple'a weeks ago?

Mark    332
You didn't even like the Finland one that was posted here a couple'a weeks ago?

Not even a teeny, tiny bit.

Sorry.

Josh    6

I discovered something interesting about webcomics and the people in this thread: I like almost none of the webcomics that others here like. I always check the links to see if I might like any, but mostly I don't.

I'm guessing from the lack of comment I get on the strips I post links to that people here mostly don't like the strips I follow as well.

I don't think that's a reflection on my relationship to the people here, but that there are a massive number of webcomics out there, so many that they can fill a huge number of niche markets and tastes. They don't aim for any lowest common denominator that would pull in some huge mass demographic. Hence, we rarely like any of the same webcomics.

Avaunt    274

He he he, had to happen eventually.

It is Mark and me against the world, if the world is for achewood. I have never once even smiled at one to them, and I DID try, must have read 30 or more of the things in one sitting alone, because so many of you think they are amusing.

The only thing I found was that they are like a soap opera, you KNOW what the characters are thinking. So at least they are consistant. ( consistantly bad is SOMETHING . . . ?)

Have we posted the Battle for Gobwin Knob by the guy that does OotS ?. I fucking love this, but it isn't updated as often.

Christian    734

Oh, I'll join with you also, Avaunt (and Mark too, grumble, grumble :smile: ).

I don't usually peruse this thread, so I missed that discussion.

I don't think they're in the slightest bit funny or witty. They just leave me totally cold.

Mickey Eye    153
Have we posted the Battle for Gobwin Knob by the guy that does OotS ?. I fucking love this, but it isn't updated as often.

Not actually by the same guy, just hosted on the same site. Rich Burlew writes and illustrates OotS. I do know he is actually a very talented artist but I'm damned if I can find the evidence. Erfworld is written by Rob Balder (who also writes a clip art comic that I don't actually like http://www.partiallyclips.com/ ) and illustrated by Jamie Noguchi (his portfolio is here http://www.jamihn.com/portfolio.html ).

But yes I read the hell out of Erfworld when it updates and highly recommend it.

Vagabond    154

Erfworld's great, even if the jokes require a knowledge of RTSs, but it's like 8 OOTS updates to one Erfworld update these days.

Avaunt    274

Then we all ought to hunt the guy down, nail him to his drawing board, and glue his pen into his hand.

We could open a warehouse, stick him alongside Lios Bujold McMasters, Ian M Banks, and some others, cheaper feeding them from a communal kitchen.

OK, This other one by the Minus guy, is very engaging in an utterly depressing fashion.

Socks

DO NOT READ IT CHRISTIAN !. :tongue: I am sorry I started, and dread it not having a happy ending but that is what I think is in store for me.

JasonT    438

Wouldn't have thought Lois was your thing, Avaunt. I've been re-reading the Vorkosigan books, and was surprised to notice they're the printed equivalent of chick flicks.

Avaunt    274

I am not sure of what to say. Miles is my fucking HERO, and you couldn't know that without being told?. I want to place my hands between his, and be of service to him. It would be such FUN.

Though I am sorry to think she (LBM) will "kill" poor old Gregor, I like Gregor but dramatic imperitive and all that, "The Emperor must die" or how can she force Miles into the role?

I am not sure what you mean by "Chick-Flic" though. High Space Opera maybe. Shards of honour, ok, chick-flic suits it morethan somewhat, but after that ?.

Miles rocks, even his ENEMIES rock. You know Fletchir Giajas people are supposed to be descended from Aussies, eh?.

:) Dag = Awesome Win

I wish she would simply drop the other books she wastes her precious time on, only X amount of writing in anyone, after all.

Mark    332

Thanks for those, the first one in particular looks awesome. I've liked McCloud for years, and it had somehow entirely escaped my attention that he was doing this strip - I'm really looking forward to working my way through it. Great finds.

Also, who's Edo Ukiyoe?

JasonT    438
http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics2/trn/

This is nice, subtle. I like the drawing style too, uncluttered lines , a flavour like a Edo Ukiyoe drawing somehow.

That's great stuff, Avaunt. There are several moments where you can see that McCloud is a master of the medium. It's frustrating that part 3 isn't done yet.

Avaunt    274

Edo = pre-Meiji restoration Tokyo

It seemed to me he captured something of the FEELING of the style. Ukiyoe is a kind of drawing they did then (People still do now, but it is kind of like people drawing like Monet . . . only a pastiche now even if it is sincere), to our eyes "Cartoonlike" representational, simple colours etc. And maybe it was just a random association and there is nothing in it but thats what it reminded me of.

Something I used to be interested in when I was 20, had enough money to do other than work all the time or exist on a starvation diet. How I got into chatting up Japanese girls, which lead to me falling in love with one of them, proposing, spending a entire year learning the language, only for it to be made less than useless when she decided I didn't make enough money, so that now thinking more than a few minutes in Japanese drops me into a dangerous depression. So I have abandoned studying Japanese as a danger to my life.

That McCloud one has actually been on my mind since, really powerful sort of effect it had.