rorschach

Favorite Hellblazer Quotes

Yes Jenkins excelled at verbose self-pity, Delano was best at verbose pretention, and Ennis was best at verbose obscenity.  Azzarello and Carey have been more dialogue-driven so we don't have John's inner voice as much anymore.

well, i dont know.........garth ennis did the self pity think VERY well too. To the point that it wasnt irritating and didnt make you want to kick his butt for moaning (my personal view anyway, im a sucker for self pitying John).

Depends, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. :-\

IE has the annoying habit of keeping certain pages in its temporary folder. go to the internet options in the extra menu of IE, and click on the remove temporary files or whatever it's called in english. that should solve it.

I loved Jenkins's final monologue, the whole "Nobody died. Nobody died but me."

(i probably misquoted it, someone set me "straight", please...)

You got it right, Rogan. I liked that one too!

I think that Jenkins, Ennis, and Delano all specialized in self-pity.

"My girl broke up with me. sigh....Think I'll drink meself to death", added with lots of crying-paraphrasing Ennis

"The whole world's falling apart and it's my fault!" "I should be able to make everything change, but I can't, and now I'm drunk and raving!" "I'm the bogeyman!"-paraphrasing Delano

Nah, but I love self-pitying, depressed, morose John :biggrin: . Just like moi!

i loved the psychological fear more than pure gore...

But Ennis's Secial takes the cake for both the razor and pencils...

i loved the psychological fear more than pure gore...

Hear, hear.

ghant: "It works, Constantine. There's power in this. Real Power."

John: "There's power in the national grid too, But you wouldn't stick your finger in the fucking wall socket."

stupid Spanish translators... depriving me of all the best quotes.

For some reason I thought you read Hellblazer in English as an import rather than as a translation. In every non-English-speaking country I've seen an issue of Hellblazer it has been in English. I've never personally seen Hellblazer translated in any other languages though obviously it is as the international members of this board can attest. I have seen Sandman and Preacher Spanish translations but those title have been traditionally bigger sellers.

BTW Rogan, now that you are an official Hellblazer translater can you tell us how many languages and countries the title is offered in?

ghant: "It works, Constantine. There's power in this. Real Power."

John: "There's power in the national grid too, But you wouldn't stick your finger in the fucking wall socket."

Haha - classic glib Constantine.

The closing monologue from Jenkins' Constantine -

"That's it, then. The whole thing comes around in its typical, torturous bloody circle. I'm sitting on another rock, listening to the sound of the water. And in the end, it didn't work out to terribly really. I mean, nobody got hurt too badly. Nothing that can't be fixed, given enough time. Nobody died. Except me."

Apparently Paul's been sick as of late and they're cancelling Spectacular Spider-Man as a result, hope he makes a return to full health and eventually graces the pages of Hellblazer again. To think that we almost had a Jenkins/Jae Lee story.

Oh wow! That's awful about Paul Jenkins! They're cancelling Spec. Spidey over it?! Wow! I hope he makes a full recovery and soon. He's too talented a guy to go to waste!

I did some re-reading last night, and the exact issue that my favourite J.C. quotes come from is #34, "The Bogeymen" by Delano.

Another one I thought of that hasn't been mentioned, I liked Ellis' "Here I stand haunted by London, here London stands haunted by me." (I forget exactly) from the end of (DUH) "Haunted".

For some reason I thought you read Hellblazer in English as an import rather than as a translation.  In every non-English-speaking country I've seen an issue of Hellblazer it has been in English.  I've never personally seen Hellblazer translated in any other languages though obviously it is as the international members of this board can attest.  I have seen Sandman and Preacher Spanish translations but those title have been traditionally bigger sellers.

BTW Rogan, now that you are an official Hellblazer translater can you tell us how many languages and countries the title is offered in?

I wish that was the case. All the comics sold here are translated into Spanish (and by Spaniards, which makes it hard to understand at times) and I've never, ever seen an import in the original language. That's one of the reasons why I'm so 'behind' in the storyline. Last Hellblazer book released was Highwater ...

shame about Paul Jenkins. I'll have to re-read my books to see if I can find a quote I like and hasn't been posted here.

dunno. i just work here. :unsure:

Apparently Paul's been sick as of late and they're cancelling Spectacular Spider-Man as a result, hope he makes a return to full health and eventually graces the pages of Hellblazer again.  To think that we almost had a Jenkins/Jae Lee story.

Didn't Paul Jenkins hurt himself really bad playing football when he was writing Hellblazer? I remember an interview with him when he admitted that his physical pain had affected his writing which may be one reason why Constantine was always so mopey.

He should have took some painkillers (the REALLY storng ones), and let loose with Grant Morrison/Pete Milligan type stories... ;)

All the comics sold here are translated into Spanish (and by Spaniards, which makes it hard to understand at times) and I've never, ever seen an import in the original language.

Would a Mexican or Argentine translation be easier to read?

shame about Paul Jenkins.

Yes.

Would a Mexican or Argentine translation be easier to read?

Probablemente... Esos pinches gachupines hablan muy extraño... Y todo su slang es diferente. Pero al mismo tiempo a los Chilenos no se les entiende en España... huevones.

For the English-speaking crowd: that was a series of jokes playing on the fact that different countries have different slangs. I criticized Spaniards in Mexican slang--then made fun of Chilean slang. But it's all in good fun--I don't think any nation is superior to any other.

Btw,

can someone explain how I get proper quotes in, with the name of the person I'm quoting and the time and date of the quote? Right now, I'm just opening quote, selecting, pressing "copy," then pasting in, then closing quote. There must be something I'm missing.

1. There's a small blue button on the right corner of every post, which says "reply. If you press that, you get the whole post with quote tags.

Also, if you study how the quote tags are written when you do that, I figure you'll get the picture.

Probablemente... Esos pinches gachupines hablan muy extraño... Y todo su slang es diferente.  Pero al mismo tiempo a los Chilenos no se les entiende en España... huevones.

For the English-speaking crowd: that was a series of jokes playing on the fact that different countries have different slangs.  I criticized Spaniards in Mexican slang--then made fun of Chilean slang.  But it's all in good fun--I don't think any nation is superior to any other. 

Mexican would have been difficult to understand, but would read less ridiculous than Argentinian..

si no somos huevones, somos todos pinches cabrones, ¿eh? ;)

"I don't think any nation is superior to any other."

Besides the nation of Christian..... ;)

Even within Mexico, there are many different dialects depending on where you live. And, it's not just like in America, where accents are different, but the language is exactly the same, without colloquialisms (besides in Texas, I don't know what the hell they speak down there! :lol: ).

"There are those exquisite days that seem to drift by, like dandelions caught on a light summer breeze.

Then there are the rest of them--the ones that drift by like dandelions superglued to the arse end of a bull elephant."

Hellblazer #116

I dont' necessarily love it for the John Constantineness (yeah yeah, not a word. It's 3a.m. and it is if I say it is!) of the phrase, I just love that description :)