rorschach

Favorite Hellblazer Quotes

Christian - that last one you were thinking of from 'Haunted' goes like this:

"My name's John Constantine, and here I stay: haunted by London. And London, haunted by me."

A few favourites of my own:

Mrs Perkins (John's landlady) - "Have you been in some sort of fight?"

JC - "No, I swallowed a razor blade for a bet, Mrs. Perkins. And it all went horribly wrong"

(Red Sepulchre, part 1)

"What is it with you people? Do I have some kind of sign on me back, "walking sperm bank -- withdrawals welcome?"

(Hold Me)

(On the arrival of his dead mates in his cell)

"Oh, hell...was wondering when you wankers would show up. Do tell me one of you brought me a fag"

(Hard Time, part 4)

Not really a favorite--but how about this one for bringing back memories--

"Oh believe me, Stephen--I'm hardly naive. I can sense what's happening here and there. Indeed, my friend--I know what's happening to one and all--and especially to the Swamp Thing. Yes, especially to him."

And for all you "don't ever cross over into the DCU" folk, just a few minutes later, but in a different comic book,

Remember who: "It' dangerous out here. Most people are keeping indoors... We're not sure what's causing the disturbance, but it's in the best possible hands. In the meantime..." John's reply: "It's all right, squire. This gentleman is one of you."

Oh well, I'll be the first to express a thorough distate for bright spandex and all those who wear it, but this is where all this came from. I wonder what strange forces twisted fate so John didn't become the male Zatanna, hobnobbing with the JLA for all eternity. Glad he didn't!

somos todos pinches cabrones

Todos! :biggrin: Y todos jodidos en esta pinche vida! Como John...

less ridiculous than Argentinian..

¿Que vos no querés a los pibes, hu’on? :D

there are many different dialects depending on where you live

We can all understand each other... usually. If we try... :rolleyes:

What saved John from becoming the male Zatanna? Dislike of fishnets! :lol:

Seriously, you should be thanking Jamie Delano for this. Jamie saved John for all of us!

Guest Guest

Christian,

Do you think Jamie Delano is underrated as a JC writer? I hear so much praise of Ennis, Ellis, and Carey, and I hear a lot of criticism of Delano. He is too wordy, some say; too philosophical, others say. The Freedom Mob is boring; John is too navel-gazing; some prefer the "strong, confident" John of Alan Moore and Azzarello to the weakeness-filled, reflective John of Delano. Personally, I still think Jamie Delano is the standard to which all other JC authors are held: he created John's family, his back story, his personality. The whole thing with spending years in Ravenscar (in the Alan Moore version it was just a few weeks, if I recall correctly), the full development of the Newcastle affair, the Family Man storyline, the girlfriends (Emma, Zed, the admittedly somewhat boring Marj), the beginning of Gemma's story. And just the sheer depth he gave the character--I like all the internal monologues. And dare I forget the political content--the frequent if unobtrusive digs at the Thatcher regime. It was just enough, but not too much, political critique. Ellis started that going again, with his digs at Blair, but we haven't really seen any political content since then--and I think it's an imporant facet of J's personality--after all, he loves freedom--real freedom, not the BS our current regimes are trying to foist on us (freedom to choose from 500 cereals ain't freedom). Anyway, this rant started from seeing your "Jamie saved John for all of us" post and thinking, Jeez, it seems like everybody gets on Jamie Delano's case--why?

EJ

I don't understand it errol.

I think Peter Milligan and J.M. DeMatteis are the most under-rated writers in comicdom, but I'd definately say Delano was the most under-rated (SO undeservedly so!) writer on "Hellblazer".

Granted, Delano's writing never came close to touching the level he can reach with John Constantine.

I think Delano finds a way to merge with Constantine, to let J.C. speak for him, in a way that a.)Delano has not been able to do with any other character and b.) no other H.B. writer has been able to do.

I respect Jamie Delano as a person, because he takes the time to have discussions with me by E-mail. I respect Jamie Delano for his world view, as his politics are very much in-line with mine own. I respect Jamie Delano as a writer. Is he as good as Neil Gaiman or Grant Morrison or Alan Moore? Probably not (some people may like him better). But, is he one of my top 5 comic book writers? Definately! And, the reason he's so high all stems from his work with John Constantine.

I am a bit biased, as I see "Hellblazer"'s quintessential period being the work of Jamie Delano on the title and other readers may like Ennis' style or Carey's or whomever! I think that "Hellblazer" should have been the forum for political/social horror, and deep ruminations as Delano's run revolved around.

I think that regardless of which style you enjoyed, that as a John Constantine fan you respect Jamie Delano and be thankful that he got the writing chores from the first (to carry on Moore's legacy).

Could, say, Grant Morrison or Neil Gaiman have carried John Constantine to become the character we all adore today? Probably.

But, could Doug Moench or Chuck Dixon or Marv Wolfman or etc.? I seriously doubt that!

There was a very fine line to trade between Alan Moore's supporting character in "Swamp Thing" and what John Constantine became in "Hellblazer" vs. what he could have ended up in less capable hands. Jamie Delano took the ball and ran with it, and that was very hard to do in the formative years of "Hellblazer"! He had a lot to do with the title, as you said, and he did it superbly!

I am thankful for Jamie Delano's run on H.B. (outside of the fact that it's one of my top three comics' runs of all time), because we did not end up with John Constantine discusses why the Cold War was a neccessity. Because we did not end up with John Constantine teams up with Dr. Fate to defeat Solomon Grundy with magick. Because we did not end up with "stereotypical British guy". Which is what John would have become in lesser hands.

Personally, I think that the philosophy and "wordy"(poetic) inner monologue fits perfectly with John Constantine. That's the character I feel in love with, that's the character I want to see. I want to see a dark, every man's mage who feels helpless in the grand scheme of the world. Not some guy who lives outside of the world who can change (save) the fate of the world with his powers.

I've never enjoyed H.B. as much since Delano's run. I read the book because I love the character of John Constantine and because it is a very well written book compared to most other comics on the market (I did like the John & Kit dynamic during Ennis' run, mind); but I read "Hellblazer" during Delano's tenure because I loved EVERYTHING about the book. If you know what I'm saying?

I guess I should add one more note:

Another reason I may be biased to Delano's J.C. is because that character is ME. I can relate to Delano's John. I always found a majority of the supernatural used by Delano to be symbolic and psychological, instead of real.

Ennis' to an extent. But, John was just involved in so much. So much horror, and royal intrigue, and vampires, etc. I lost the ability to feel that the supernatural elements were only symbolic. And that certain hopelessness in the face of reality was missing.

Maybe I can relate to Jenkins' a bit better in another 10 years, but even then, I won't be hobnobbing with British mythological figures. Same with the "something" missing in Jenkins' John, that I stated about Ennis'.

Ellis slipped back a bit towards Delano's, but I was never able to fully get a grip on Ellis' John (due to his quickly leaving).

Azzarello's not at all.

Carey's not at all.

How about in the Ennis arc with the Kings of the Vampires, down-and-out John walks into a off-licence, shows some grubby change he has collected and says: "A Buckfast". The pompous ass running the plac, launches into a monologue (from recall): "Ah, a discerning drinker! How satisfying it is to supply a man of discriminating tastes. Perhaps, though, sir's means do not cover that? Has he considered lighter fluid? The thinking alcoholics tipple!".

Well, I've well and truly mangled the lines...

Two of my favorites, the ends of "Haunted" and "How To Play With Fire," have already been mentioned.

One from the last issue of "Last Man Standing":

"One day, God gets bored and ... BOOM! Nothing compares to that emptiness in your gut when the smoke settles, and you're the land man standing, eh?"

The John Smith issue has a lot of great descriptions:

"Ah, sod it! He's an old friend. I should count myself lucky. There aren't many of 'em left these days. Girlfriends, the odd boyfriend...they all have a nasty habit of walking out on me. A couple of weeks and they've had enough. The mystique gets shabby, the jokes turn into digs, the sex goes stale. Your loveable man of mystery turns into the bloke next door."

And I really like the first bit between the old lady and John:

"Penny for 'em, love."

"What?"

"Your thoughts. A penny for your thoughts. You look like the cat that got the cream."

"Not me, love. Not by a long chalk."

And the last page is simply gorgeous:

"The sodium streetlamps turn everything to cinemascope, lean and gritty under a begging-bowl sky.

In the distance, a dog starts barking, and doesn't stop."

Fantastic.

"My name's John Constantine. I'm not the nicest bloke you ever met, but I do me best."

"What do you lad's do on Saturdays, then?"

"I'm a real piece of work, chief. Ask anyone" - always the classic

"I've seen people fucked to death and shat into hell for eight quid and change."

Here's one of my favorite Hellblazer quotes, as paraphrased by the late great Johnny Cash:

cash_finger.jpg

(And the easiest to post as I still haven't unpacked my issues. And by "issues," I mean comics, you silly buggers!)

~Pru

what wast that line about Conjob trying to figure out Baron Winter for two weeks, and in two weeks he can get anywhere, from The Bank of England, to nun's knickers...?

From Hellblazer #43

John: You're okay, Ellie, you know that? I mean, considering what it is you actually are, you're pretty decent.

Ellie: I don't think so, John. I think I'm just polite.

HB43.jpg

Hellblazer #79

redhead: Are you Constantine?

John: Yeah--

Redhead: You're a prick.

John: Me secrets out, then.

Map - you forgot the best panel that Will Simpson ever drew, and which now made me reconsider him as THAT bad an artist :

hellblazer043tb096dp.jpg

One of my favourites is in Hold Me where the deeply bigoted taxi driver asks him "don't i get a tip?" to which John replies....

"Sure, its this: get a new mind. The one you've got now is narrow and full of crap"

I also like some of the one liners in Swamp Thing: Bad Seed, one such being when the fiery version of the Swamp Thing elemental appears before Constantine, Abby and the skeletal remains of Alec Holland, after a brief warning from the elemental, Constantine asks....

"Here, hang on a sec, before you go.....got a light?"

what wast that line about Conjob trying to figure out Baron Winter for two weeks, and in two weeks he can get anywhere, from The Bank of England, to nun's knickers...?

You mean this?

bom02-p27.jpg

Map - you forgot the best panel that Will Simpson ever drew, and which now made me reconsider him as THAT bad an artist :

hellblazer043tb096dp.jpg

i couldnt find that online and dont have a scanner otherwise i most certainly would've posted that. thank for getting my back ,dawg..

You mean this?

bom02-p27.jpg

and thank you Alseid for coering my back :D

so it was 3 weeks, not two! i love that quote. And the lighter scene in that club, with Zatanna and Timmy in peril was pure brilliance.

and thank you Alseid for coering my back :D

so it was 3 weeks, not two! i love that quote. And the lighter scene in that club, with Zatanna and Timmy in peril was pure brilliance.

Want me to post that scene too?

If it's not a problem, then please do. I would do it, but i don't have the original BoM scanned...

It's no problem. I have my scans right here.

Er...couldn't bring myself to post only one of the pages of the scene, so here goes (at least the files are small enough to avoid torturing the 56k users).

bom02-p43.jpg

bom02-p44.jpg

bom02-p45.jpg

bom02-p46.jpg

This is the one you meant, right?