JohnMcMahon

Nice ear ring, chief

During the Moore run and Delano's run on Hellblazer, too.

Disappeared during Ennis' run, possibly because earrings are for puffs.

whuh? You don't know who Solomon Grundy is? for shame! Go read some Starman!

Funny thing is that Constantine's ear ring would switch from his left ear in Swamp Thing to his right ear in Hellblazer. It's probably just as well it was dropped since a) it was one more thing the artist would forget to add from panel to panel and b) after a certain age a man wearing an ear ring is just a bit silly.

wasn't there a left ear/right ear = straight/gay man earring policy? i forget... it is only fitting, then, that J.C. would change the ear where he puts his earring, depending on his mood... ;)

i know lots of straight and extremely testosterone charged men who wear earrings. Though the occurrence of this seems to be a lot less in the US.

Isnt Solomon Grundy a big green guy who beat the crap out of Superman in a few issues? I havent read Starman and dont have the resources to :icon_frown:

When I was younger it was pretty much "ear ring in left ear=cool" /"Ear ring in right ear=gay"

Of course that's how it was in the stupid high-school world I lived in back then so it might have been different elsewhere.

However I never had my ear pierced so that was something I never participated in.

i was just referring to the thing i heard, that wearing an earring in one of your ears would signalize to those "in the know" that you're gay, and the other would mean you're straight...

Abhi - why don't you start downloading comics from the net? or i could perhaps, when i manage to get around to it, send you scanned Starman (though i'd have to compile it all over again, like i did for Christian)

it's a pretty good trade as well.

Isn't it ?

I thought Moore's Swamp Thing ran out of steam over the course of the last two volumes but Veitch's first book was really good.

i know lots of straight and extremely testosterone charged men who wear earrings. Though the occurrence of this seems to be a lot less in the US.

I can't tell you the years, but the earrings were first worn by gay guys, then straight guys got into it. These were always cool guys, and generally urbanites. I don't think it was ever big among countryboys and hardcore rednecks generally never wore them, except maybe for some bikers. Anyway, the male earring heyday is over and I don't that many on straight or gay guys nowadays.

However, there are still a fair number of young people around bearing multiple pierciings, I'm sure in the ears as well as all those other more painful-looking places.

i was just referring to the thing i heard, that wearing an earring in one of your ears would signalize to those "in the know" that you're gay, and the other would mean you're straight...

I've heard of such polarized signals. From what I understand, though, those left/right signals are often opposite on the U.S. east and west coasts, or used to be a decade or three ago.

Isn't it ?

I thought Moore's Swamp Thing ran out of steam over the course of the last two volumes but Veitch's first book was really good.

well, I liked them.the last trade is a bit sucky though, as it mostly contains the weaker stories. "My Blue Heaven" is a great story though.

oh, and can I just say that Veitch has real talent for writing John Constantine? he really continues the line of Moore, making John an utter manipulator, yet also making him a bit more likeable than Moore's JC. I loved the part where JC visits just about every person with supernatural/psychic connection to precisely pinpoint what is gonna happen with the Sprout. which also brings me to the bad thing about the trade: is it just me, or is the story cut off rather abruptly? (and no, that wasn't a pun about the last page. not intentionally, anyway)

I hope another trade is coming soon, I really dug the hell out of this.

Abhi - why don't you start downloading comics from the net? or i could perhaps, when i manage to get around to it, send you scanned Starman (though i'd have to compile it all over again, like i did for Christian)

i know im naive and silly for asking but where do i find downloadable comics? hopefully somewhere with minimal chance of getting busted......

Hey! My buddy who's in his late-50s wears an earring still! :D

Yeah, I heard the same thing as Andy when I was in high school about the significance of "which ear?", and I made great care to make sure I got the correct ear pierced so no males would get confused when I had an earring... :lol:

So stupid!

Anyway, yeah, I really enjoyed Rick Veitch's run on "Swamp Thing".

On the subject of left ear / right ear gay/straight thing, that was knocking about when I was at school too. What amazed me was that folk, even at that age, believed it.

I cut right through the problem when getting mine pierced at 16 by getting both done together.

Took them out a couple of years back for meetings with a very conservative client, and got so fed up taking them out, putting them in again, that I just left them out one day.

Very few blokes can get away with being over 30 with earrings though - it all depends on general dress sense and attitude in my opinion.

During the Moore run and Delano's run on Hellblazer, too.

Disappeared during Ennis' run, possibly because earrings are for puffs.

I thought it was spelled poufs.

Anywho, yes, it was (is?) left=straight, right=gay. I say is because I still never see any men with right-only piercings except gay men. Most men nowadays have either left-only or both ears.

Unlike some of the posters above, we do have a number of men with ear piercings here, but Austin is considered to be the hippie region of Texas (Our city motto is "Keep Austin Weird"), so. :)

which also brings me to the bad thing about the trade: is it just me, or is the story cut off rather abruptly?

Yes and No. There was a natural enough end to the story I thought....

Abby & Swamp Thing are reunited, John finds out about the event that will give birth to the new Swamp Thing.

...but obviously the story as a whole hasn't been told and in these days of done-in-one trades it felt a little....odd.

Back to the earring thing, that whole right ear/left ear nonsense did the rounds here in the eighties too. Don't think earrings would ever have gone well with a blue suit and trench coat though! John's well due a midlife crisis by this stage (ok, he had it under Jenkins, shut up smart arse), so I reckon he should get his tongue pierced.

i know im naive and silly for asking but where do i find downloadable comics? hopefully somewhere with minimal chance of getting busted......

DC++, then go to comics hubs (such as megaman.gotdns.com:455 )

no chance of getting busted yet, since the hub is hosted in a country where they don't fight piracy as avidly as they do in the states...