hagren

New V for Vendetta Posters

but this overusing of word with v was in the comic too if i recall it correctly- and how it looks isnt also a factor which should be left out. i mean, the comic is also stylish, why shouldnt the film be?

The V thing was never, er, verbal, though. There's a difference between V being the fifth person in the Larkhill experiment camp and hiding in Victoria station, and his first speech being composed almost entirely of wrods beginning with the letter v. V himself is a showman, not a smug English student.

As for stylish - there's a difference between "stylish" and "gaudy over-use of bullet time when it's not actually neccessary".

yeah but how do you know how much he will say words with v?

and how often such passages with styliziled action will occur?

i mean how do you come to such conclusions?

did i miss something?

or not getting it?

It's been mentioned in several script reviews. The scene in question is, I believe, the first meeting between V and Evey, and goes like this:

V (indicating his mask): This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vangquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-à-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V."

Evey: Are you like, a crazy-person?

That doesn't appear in the book, and is, I hope we can all agree, utterly shit. The snippet from that speech ("the only verdict is vengeance") which appears in the trailer suggests that the whole speech will still be in the film, which is a bit of a problem for those of us who like not-shit screenplays in our cinematic entertainments.

Oh my god, that is terrible.

I've never seen the point of this.

The point of making the movie or the point of the alliteration?

I think it looks great in the trailer but I'm hoping that the script is up to the same quality as the visuals. Here's hoping that the speech gets dumped in the editing and they do extra shooting to replace it.

I don't see the point of making Alan Moore's stuff into movies. Too much stuff gets changed to pander to mainstream audiences. Yawn. I just see them as action films that have no connection with the books.

That's 'cos he's a comic writer, and a very good one. The vast majority of his work is specifically (and very well) written to play to the strengths of the graphic medium, and most of that is unavoidably going to be lost in a translation to the screen. It'd be theoretically possible to adapt a Moore book and keep most of the actual event-follows-event 'plot' intact (although fuck knows, no-one's bothered trying to do so yet), but even so, you'd lose most of the structural games, page/panel trickery and the like which really makes his work special.

In my ever-so-humble opinion, obviously.

That doesn't appear in the book, and is, I hope we can all agree, utterly shit.

It's not just shit, it's nonsensical shit.

I'm probably going to end up seeing this dross, and I'm fully expecting to be greatly wrathful by the end of it; I'm also not expecting remotely to be proved wrong in this.

My dilemma is between really not wishing to contribute any of my meagre wealth to this, and also not wanting to be the asshole who tears chunks out of a film without seeing it first.

I don't see the point of making Alan Moore's stuff into movies.

Agreed, on historical evidence. The unfortunate thing is that a lot of his work would really make wonderful cinema, if approached with the slightest modicum of care and respect.

But it would make no money, and as well all know, art is irrelevant, profit is what's important.

I'm just not seeing in my mind a totally faithful film adaptation of any of Moore's big three: Watchmen, From Hell and V for Vendetta. With From Hell it's just too massive of a book and then to get the full effect a movie would have to stop every few minutes and have a narrator read the footnotes explaining the historical accuracy of each scene. Watchmen would be easier to adapt but then a faitful adaptation would run 4 hours at least and the effort to replicate Dave Gibbons art might look silly on a three dimensional screen. V for Vendetta seems like it'd be the easiest but it should be shot in B&W with hints of color. That doesn't excuse how the films may turn out but as Mark said, it's harder to use Alan Moore's work as a storyboard like Rodriguez did with Sin City.

Verily, I am very vertuberated by this versimilitude of vile vomit!

"V (indicating his mask): This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vangquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-à-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V."

Evey: Are you like, a crazy-person?"

This is probably one of the most unintentionally funny lines from any movie, and I'm sure the cast will have great fun with it on Mystery Science Theatre 4000.

Alan Moore writes comics, and all comics make great action movies, because comics are all adolescent power fantasies! Duh!

This movie reminds me of an attempt to replicate "Matrix" in some way....

It's been mentioned in several script reviews. The scene in question is, I believe, the first meeting between V and Evey, and goes like this:

V (indicating his mask): This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vangquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

Evey: Are you like, a crazy-person?

That doesn't appear in the book, and is, I hope we can all agree, utterly shit. The snippet from that speech ("the only verdict is vengeance") which appears in the trailer suggests that the whole speech will still be in the film, which is a bit of a problem for those of us who like not-shit screenplays in our cinematic entertainments.

thats really bad. mostly because its too long and i dont get the half of it.

everything can be overdone. that is one of it. the letter v just should be used in key things, seldomly, to be a base, a link, not some overlong speech. to mistify it.

i hope this will be the only big flaw it has...

Some hope... :(

Guest spiderlegs

That "V" speech is disgusting.

When I first read "V," I read it twice, literally restarting moments after pondering the end. Except for changing the time in which it takes place, they didn't need to change anything else about that story. My second time through, I thought about how cool certain scenes could be filmed if left intact, but no.

Did they think they were improving it? With Moore's stuff, you might need to cut some parts in order to come in under two hours, but why change the dialog? Are retards really their target audience? My contempt for the film industry continues to grow...

The Crapowski whores should be drawn and quartered. If they aren't stealing someone else's ideas, then they are gouging out the vision and spirit of something that exists at a level far superior to their generic mysticism range. Their maximum effort peaks at nothing more than a "sci-fi fart joke" delivered with a straight face. You might laugh at them, but not with them.

I couldn't get the trailer to work but that could be due to security settings on this PC I'm using briefly. That speech, though. Alliteration is ok if it lasts for a sentence, but shat all over a whole paragraph? That's like an outhouse at an outdoor music festival attended by college age party folk! I mean, that's overflowing with shit!

You'd think they would have learned their lesson after everyone made fun of Colonel Sanders's speech at the end of Matrix Reloaded.

yeah this speech is too long, but the line "the only verrdict is vengeance" or when v attacks the "finger(men)s" who are chasing evey, and one of them says "have mercy" and v in a deep voice: "oh, not tonight" thats pretty cool. and i think the scenes were london looks like london have a good feeling.

im pretty excited about it, and i hope it will be cool (its my most anticipated movie so far next year) but when they change something in a bad way... (eg why has v to use weapons in the beginning of the film? he uses tear gas! or why must fate appear on tv screen? they used normal speakers!)

i hope the other things will be good, because the other things arent looking terrible.

and matrix 2 n 3 are, besides some cool scenes, just plainly pain.

spidey: you have to use quicktime 7 or videolan (vcl (or vlc?)) player to play the trailer.

Their best film is still Bound, for my money - and even that's more a triumph of plot construction and direction than anything else, because it's still let down by some fucking awful dialogue. Between that and The Matrix, you've got all the evidence you need that the Wachowskis are stylish, intelligent, interesting interesting directors with a distinctive visual style, who have a promising career ahead of them with the single, significant proviso that they should never be allowed to write another film script. Ever.

so good directos, bad scriptwriters? maybe. i didnt see bound though.

but the matrix itself is a very big effort- shame that they destroyed it.

Their best film is still Bound, for my money - and even that's more a triumph of plot construction and direction than anything else, because it's still let down by some fucking awful dialogue. Between that and The Matrix, you've got all the evidence you need that the Wachowski's are stylish, intelligent, interesting interesting directors with a distinctive visual style, who have a promising career ahead of them with the single, significant proviso that they should never be allowed to write another film script. Ever.

Same thing with Spielberg. Or at least give him someone with the balls to tell him when he's fucking up a perfectly good script.