hagren

New V for Vendetta Posters

Gah. I've just noticed the gratuitous abuse of the humble apostrophe in my last post. Corrected.

Spielberg's never really made any claim to be a full-on writer/director, though, which is how the Wachowskis seem to be styling themselves, for deluded reasons best known to themselves.

I feel similarly about M. Night Shyamalan I think his direction is far better than his scriptwriting although I do think he's better in this regard than the Wachowskis. But I would like to see him direct someone else's work.

Spielberg's never really made any claim to be a full-on writer/director, though, which is how the Wachowskis seem to be styling themselves, for deluded reasons best known to themselves.

No, but he still writes scripts and fucks them up completely. And I believe that he makes changes to the script while filming on occasion. What happened to the Spielberg who let kids be eaten by sharks?

Bound was more a triumph of lesbianism than anything else, really. For me, anyroad. But I am a card-carrying member of the International Pervy Bastards Alliance.

And, y'know, hot nekkid lesbination is great and all. But I really wouldn't take it as a shining beacon for directorial skills.

I thought it was a crackingly tense, taught and expertly-paced heist-gone-wrong thriller, personally, even though it took me a few viewings to get past the best lesbian sex evarr sequence. There's some wickedly stylish direction, too - the use of muted colour palettes, high contrast, overhead camera angles and extreme close-up is all surprisingly effective, and far surpasses most of the stuff which seemed to impress everyone except me in The Matrix.

I thought it was a crackingly tense, taught and expertly-paced heist-gone-wrong thriller, personally...

Really? :blink:

...even though it took me a few viewings to get past the best lesbian sex evarr sequence.

Ah, there we are. Only seen it the once, meself. And I was mostly watching it because of the lesbians.

There's some wickedly stylish direction, too - the use of muted colour palettes, high contrast, overhead camera angles and extreme close-up is all surprisingly effective, and far surpasses most of the stuff which seemed to impress everyone except me in The Matrix.

See, I'm trying to think back to these things, I really am. But, you may be unsurprised to learn, everything's coming up lesbians.

(I'm going to fuck up the spelling of names here, I just know it)

I find the Wachoskis, M. Night Shamalyan, and Spielberg to all be the most over-rated directors in the business.

All of them have a real claim to fame with an amazing movie or two, but looking over the sum totality of their work, they really let you down a hell of a lot more than they produce a gem. Something that so many movie goers seem to miss or ignore, as they still rave about the "sheer brilliance" of these three names.

i dont :)

i do know just the matrix trilogy from the wachowskys, and just matrix 1 is good. the second and third part have just some memorable parts.

im interested in bound tough.

from shamalyan i saw sixth sense and the unbreakable, the first is high class stuff the second a big letdown imho.

n from steven i like the indy trilogy, schindlers list and the war of the worlds.

though i have to watch a load of films of them i didnt see.

im interested in bound tough.

It's the lesbians, isn't it? Be honest now :)

no, its the point mark mentioned- that the visuals are better than in the matrix. or at least good. n i like artistic films in terms of nice visuals added from factors mark wrote.

yeah and okay, i admit, the lesbians too.

hmpf.

Hello everyone i'm back. Think i've been missing out alot. I'm really excited about the movie V for Vendetta too. Hope it'll be as good as the comic cus the comic was totally awesome. But i was rather concerned about how closely it's gonna follow the comic after i read this:

"Question 3: This is to the whole panel. I was wondering why Alan Moore didn't sign off for the film.

David Lloyd: Alan has his own view of things. I think that Alan would only be happy with a complete book to screen adaptation of V. My attitude is completely different. All I was concerned with, all I expected and desired, really, from the film, was a very good script, and it is a very good script. I'm happy with it, and that trailer looks fantastic, and as far as I'm concerned, it's good. " from http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/.

Does the first two sentences of David Lloyd's reply say something? It makes me worry.

If I remember correctly, when "Constantine" was in production, Alan Moore made the decision to not take any part in any movie of his work that was being made. He didn't care if they made movies of his work, as long as they left him totally out of the process. He also donates any proceeds he makes for his comics turned into movies to artists or other creators who worked on said title.

thats since the extraordinary league of gentlemen movie, isnt it?

but why doesnt he try to work with the filmmakers? or do they not let him? i mean, both sides would have to make compromises. but we know how something can work totally, if someone of the comics involved is in the staff (ala sin city or hellboy). why isnt he doing this?

(altough, there were also adaptations good without any of the comic creators involve,d but it just can be good if, cant it?)

but why doesnt he try to work with the filmmakers? or do they not let him? i mean, both sides would have to make compromises. but we know how something can work totally, if someone of the comics involved is in the staff (ala sin city or hellboy). why isnt he doing this?

Because he's a writer, who has no interest in making films. He's happy doing his own thing, and leaving the movie-making to those who actually want to do so. Can't say I blame him, either.

good point. altough if i would be him i would want to see a good and faithful adaptation on screen, even if i have to help out if i can.

altough, yes, if hes comfortable with the situation, i dont blame him either.

I don't think he can have all that much input to start with. The filmmakers are going to do what they want and just give lip-service to the writer of the original anyway.

Books like "V For Vendetta" are owned by DC's parent company, and Alan Moore really has no control over what the filmmakers do with the comic material once they've optioned the rights for the film from Time/Warner.

Now in years past the sentiment of, "oh, they'll just do what they want, so why bother" was very true, but nowadays you have an unprecedented level of comic creators being involved on film adaptations of their characters or titles they worked on. Moore is a big enough name that if he came forward and offered his services, I have little doubt he'd be heard. But that said, I don't think that's his main reason for not getting involved. If he wanted to make films, he would have written screenplays in the first place, not comics. He told his story how he wanted to, and that was that.

See, I'm trying to think back to these things, I really am. But, you may be unsurprised to learn, everything's coming up lesbians.

See it again, now with less emphasis on the LESBIANS...:lol:

Mark really is right here, it's wonderfully directed, and one of the few crime thrillers where I have yet to discover any kind of logical flaw in either the plot or what the main characters do. It all follows logically from what weve seen, and thats rarer than youd think.

But some of the dialogue is atrocious, it must be said.

Because he's a writer, who has no interest in making films. He's happy doing his own thing, and leaving the movie-making to those who actually want to do so. Can't say I blame him, either.

To true, and hes doing things in comics that cannot be directly translated to film.

The first page of Watchmen-with its' use of the unonomous dialogue- immediately shows that these techniques are unfilmable.

However, why I'd urge involvement is that films reach a wider audience then comics do.

More people have watched Constantine, than have read or for that matter even heard of Hellblazer.

It's a case of majority/might makes right (I'm not trying to be cynical or elitist).

To most Johnny Depp is From Hell and Keanu Reeves is Constantine.

The adaptation does effect the work.

While I lost sleep over the Constantine, Papa Mid lost weight.

Nothing is isolated.

i re-read vendetta, and there is a speech very similar (not in context, but in using many v-beginning-words) at the end of it SPOILER, when finch comes out of larkhill ("i...im free! FREEEE!"). because i heard that thing is mostly missing from the movie, maybe thats because they wanted to make such a speak.

(it has to be missing and changed because the infamous quote, whats in my signature, is adressed to mr. creedy in the trailer, not to mr. finch like in the comic)

True, but if I remember correctly, that wasnèt V doing the speech, it was Finch. I thought it worked there because Finch pretty much devoted his life to hunting V down. It was a bit of a fluorish on Mooreès part, but I think it worked. As opposed to the one in the film, which is incoherent, melodramatic claptrap.

SPOILER yeah i know, because of that and because he was on drugs. he got crazy just as v did :) just v could control his crazyness to what he did, and finch was crazy altough he could kill v.