hagren

New V for Vendetta Posters

I still have and want to see American Splendor, Ghostworld, History of Violence, Road to Perdition and of course the ones coming out in the next time.

A History of Violence is the only movie that I've ever liked more than the book. Awesome movie. See it!!!

The Rocketeer was an excellent adaptation to film of a comic. For better or for worse, so were The Mask and Men In Black.

I have a question: Is the Vicious Cabaret song is written from scratch by Moore, or leaning on something or even existing in whole form before the gn?

Im listening now to this same-called song from David J and its pretty cool.

Its like some music from a musical, partly like Rocky Horror PS, partly like some Tim Burton movie. Is it faithful to the music notes in the book (The text is, but im unable to read the notes)?

I re-read this part btw again, together with this song, then you will see (hear) how genius it is, at least after reading the whole gn once. God is it genius....

I love it! Shame that it isnt in the movie, its totally significant for the story, atmosphere and Vs character.

I think it could have been made easily in the film with this song and all the visuals that where in the comic, but maybe it wouldnt go along with the resto f the film. Still, its fucking ace on its own merit, if nowhere else.

Btw, heres the 1. chapter of the films novel: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/include/Book...&Lang=en&zxac=1

Well, is no one interested in the Vicious Cabaret song? Or do you know it already for ages? Because i like it very much and it compliments the reading and understanding of that passage in the GN.

And i would like to know what you think about it or if its based on the music notes in the GN :)

Anyways, heres the link: http://bdeg.sopron.hu/~renato/viciouscabaret.mp3

It is directly based on the notation printed in the book, yes. I like it too - first time I heard it I was surprised, because it didn't really sound like the song I had in my head, but it really grew on me after a while.

Cool :)

Yeah, i also thought its a bit calmer and darker.

But like that its good too because it fits to Vs theatricality and its pleasantly quirky, what underlines the hidden messages in the song.

I echo the love for the From Hell comic, btw. One of the best comics ever written. Brilliant stuff there. Hagren, you may be able to find it cheaper on ebay. That's where I got it.

Uh Abhi, i dont like Ebay. But i lurk around for it :)

I have no idea why. Unless ebay austria is shit. I obtained the vast majority of my comics and DVDs from ebay. I got the entire Delano, Ennis, Jenkins runs for 65 bucks. I almost never bought a DVD for more than 10 dollars. I got rare out of print genuine Criterion editions for 15 bucks. I got the entire run of Sandman for 70 dollars. If not for ebay I wouldntve been able to afford anything during my time in the US.

So I reiterate. I have no idea why you dont like it. All you have to do is be careful about where and when you bid.

I dunno, i would feel insecure.

But that may be out of lack of knowledge.

But do you buy used or new stuff?

Always mint condition. The DVDs are sometimes pre-watched but I make sure they're mint condition. When something is in mint condition, this is always stated in the listing. If you're not sure, you can ask.

I have never once bought a single thing that couldnt pass as brand new.

hagren - most of the potential problems with eBay only become problems if you're selling. You'll only really run into problems buying if you're not careful and sensible about who you're buying from - and the feedback system works pretty well in that regard.

--Edit: just downloading the song - I've never really had a particular idea of how it should sound, since I am only in the loosest possible terms any kind of musician :blush:

Will be interested to hear it.

--Edit, the revenge: Hee :) This is ace.

Incidentally, I understand Alan Moore once recorded a version of it with his band, whose name escapes me - anyone ever heard it?

I understand Alan Moore once recorded a version of it with his band, whose name escapes me - anyone ever heard it?

The Sinister Ducks.

He also performs with Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels who have put out a couple of cds of their performances.

I'm self-aware enough to know that I'll probably be too much of an anal fanboy to actually enjoy the film on its own merits, so I'd just end up sitting in the theatre grumbling at it for not being the book, regardless of whether or not it's any good in and of itself. So, it'd be a bit of a waste of my time and money, all things considered (it's why I still haven't seen Constanteen, and don't really have any plans to do so). If I'm urged to check it out by enough people whose opinions I trust, though, I might change my mind.

If you can manage to spoil your enjoyment of this film in the above manner, I will personally eat my own ears. It is the exact opposite of Constanteen in so many ways that I cannot count them.

More later.

For what it's worth, you generally fall into the category covered by the final sentence, so I'll look forward to hearing your opinions.

Best I can say is that it is the only time I've seen Alan Moore's ideas conveyed in film (except when he was providing them himself in Mindscape) and that I agree with David Lloyd.

http://www.newsarama.com/general/DavidLloyd/DavidLloyd.htm

I'm actually quite sad that Alan Moore won't be around to expand on some of the ideas put forward by the contemporary version of his story.

There are two slightly off-putting moments:

when Stephen Rea says "levver" instead of "lEVEr" and when Anthony and the Johnsons plays on the jukebox.

Everything else is splendid.

It’s a terrific film. The most extraordinary thing about it for me was seeing scenes that I’d worked on and crafted for maximum effect in the book translated to film with the same degree of care and effect.

If you happen to be one of those people who admires the original so much that changes to it will automatically turn you off, then you may dislike the film - but if you enjoyed the original and can accept an adaptation that is different to its source material but equally as powerful, then you’ll be as impressed as I was with it.

I am now officially pumped for this movie.

I knew before that LLoyd liked the movie but the clips werent so impressive (What doesnt mean too much)- and im not always in agreement with ade (what too doesnt say anything).

But i think if he likes it (LLoyd plus Ade) that means something, i was planning to see it the first day anyway.

Btw, your avatar frigthens me. its cool.

And that you only disliked two things- wow!

An yeah, Moore should once see the work they did out of his material.

Hes just not the movie-type o guy.

And of course hes very critical with the usage of his books.

Alan Moore is perfectly justified to have disdain for Hollywood productions.

They have bastardised his stories and unbastardised one of his most enduring characters.

And Joel Silver misrepresented what he said in an early interview.

Sadly last night only the commentator mentioned the source material.

However, V succeeds in modifying the material for a contemporary movie audience without losing the spirit or the language - sadly that probably means action film fans will be bored with it and those who like "SERIOUS" film will disregard it because of the Wachowski connection and/or the "comicbook" connection. It is the latter group who should overcome their tastes the most, but I hope that some of the former group can learn from V for Vendetta's political heart.

Hagren, I'm coming to this late and you may have read it by now, but if not, can't you lend it from a library? It really is a brilliant book. you have to read it.

I think he has because a little while ago he was asking Bonnie about specific plot points, including "The Vicious Caberet."

Either that or he does very methodical research for upcoming movies. ;)