hagren

New V for Vendetta Posters

I think he has because a little while ago he was asking Bonnie about specific plot points, including "The Vicious Caberet."

Either that or he does very methodical research for upcoming movies.  ;)

Think pooka meant From Hell :)

Hagren, I'm coming to this late and you may have read it by now, but if not, can't you lend it from a library? It really is a brilliant book. you have to read it.

yes, i have to read it.

To lend it from a library is a good idea, i even know where it is. Its just so far away :(

But o course i will read it.

To lend it from a library is a good idea, i even know where it is. Its just so far away :(

No excuse! Get yer ass to the library, pronto! :)

For what it's worth, you generally fall into the category covered by the final sentence, so I'll look forward to hearing your opinions.

I stay up nights trying to figure out ways to finagle my way into this hallowed category. But unfortunately I have taken ten steps back by liking Match Point and Sting, I fear :biggrin:

I am alternating between being stoked for V and dreading it. Everytime I hear a good opinion about it, I hear two bad ones (generally from Alan Moore fans, which is disturbing). I'll definitely go see it, though. Even the promise of a good Moore adaptation will get me to the theatre.

I like you TomC. Like Jesus :lol: ;)

Your funny and direct.

I like you TomC. Like Jesus :lol: ;)

Your funny and direct.

Why yes, I suppose I am very much like Jesus. Saviour of the universe and all that ;)

Edit: Actually, my beard is much better than Jesus'.

Regarding the V for Vendetta movie, it's definitely not as accurate as Sin City but as Ade said they did update it for the 2000s. I think the movie is made to feel like 2010 or so.

Jesus beard was never updated though.

My local paper has a quick review of V, mostly centering about Portman's role in the movie. It talks about her getting casted in the "Star Wars" films and how that has made her the idol of millions of Star Wars fans.

It is quick to note that Portman will be adding many more geeks and nerds to her fan list after this movie! :icon_rolleyes:

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/20..._propagand.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11769182/site/newsweek

http://www.time.com/time/europe/eu/article...1172195,00.html

More time spent attempting to discredit the politics of the film than reviewing it.

You know, it's about fascists in power, not conservatives.

And if those [over-used word]s can't tell the difference, then yes, it IS aimed at them.

I am halfway through my latest re-reading of V for Vendetta, and I realised something. There are as many niggling little changes as in (that other film) and yet because there are almost zero major changes, it's no big deal.

Take for example the name of the Leader - Adam Susan in the book, Adam Sutler in the film. Now a friend of mine has asked how (un)subtle that is, and yet if you Malapropise the original name ... what would the neocons have had to say about their theories if the name had been an (inadvertent) malaprop of Saddam Hussein ?

Another one, I am sure the roses are referred to as "Scarlet Carsons" presumably because they wanted more impact from red roses - although the name "Violet Carson" had more resonance in 1980s UK.

There is a rather big change in the set up for Evey's incarceration, but less of that later.

Just a thought - you notice the mote in the eye of an ugly face but you don't notice it in a handsome face.

:lol: -Oh, that's awesome! What an indictment!

A piece of propaganda against Fascism, yet the Conservatives can't even tell the difference between their own beliefs and that of Fascists!

Here's a sample from Ade's first link.

"But if you're like the rest of mainstream America--you support our troops, believe in firmly responding to terrorists on our own shores, and/or respect Christianity--then, don't waste your time at this piece of garbage masquerading as a superhero movie. It is anything but."

"Puh-leeze. If anything, both Britain and the U.S. have bent over backwards not only for the Koran, but for its extremist Muslim followers"

"In "V", while Islam and the Koran are treasured but prohibited, Christianity is pure evil. Nice juxtaposition, when in real life, the 19 hijackers, the '93 WTC, U.S. Embassy, U.S.S. Cole, and British subway bombers were hardly Christians. Hmmm . . . what religion were they?"

"Terrorists and terrorism are the heroes, the government fighting them and trying to keep us safe are the enemy."

This has to be read to be believed!

I was laughing so hard!

Best of all, one must question here politics, as she wasn't even able to do enough research to find out that Natalie Portman is ISRAELI, not American, as she erroneously claims!!!

I know that, and I hardly ever know anything about actors.

Oh sweet! The site also has a Forum style feature on it!

Look at what even-minded, tolerant people read her works?

"Come on MikeR. Do you not see the bias and hypocrisy of movies like V, Syriana, Paradise Now. When Hollywood refuses to make movies about the real enemies (Islam, liberalism), "

ummm....OK....yeah....

Debbie Schlussel is a well-known raving lunatic.

She's famous for ferverently yelling "Jihaaaaadd!!" whenever making a point about terrorists.

Howard Stern used to (and probably still does) have her on his show just to laugh at her. She's a nutter. She's one of the most opinionated, misinformed, close-minded, and preachy people ever. And it's funny, because as a liberal she assumes she's open-minded!

She's a top-notch knucklehead, really.

For what it's worth, Ebert and Roeper gave the movie two big thumbs up on their last show, even if they were a bit confused by the symbolism. While I don't put a lot of stock in them as critics, ratings like that from them usually help to propel big budget movies to commercial success.

And it's funny, because as a liberal she assumes she's open-minded!

That's not so funny, I find many people who describe themselves as "liberal" to be close-minded, myopic, and bigoted. Just listen to the leftist Air America radio if you're in the U.S. There's a stream of anger and hatred that wouldn't be out of place at a Klan rally.

Best of all, one must question here politics, as she wasn't even able to do enough research to find out that Natalie Portman is ISRAELI, not American, as she erroneously claims!!!

I know that, and I hardly ever know anything about actors.

She is? Huh, news to me.

Actually, I only know that because of the article I read in my local paper that I mentioned earlier in this topic......

I don't even know what most of the people on Air America believe. They're a bunch of clowns. These vague quasi-liberals with no definition. They don't like what's going on in America, but they wouldn't dare question the system, so they just randomly spout out hatred, as they have no real topics to address.

Guest spiderlegs

This from TIME about the "WTF"ski Bros:

(The Wachowskis no longer talk to the press, and their personal lives are the subject of considerable speculation. Larry, the older of the two, is a transvestite in a relationship with a Los Angeles dominatrix.)

I find many people who describe themselves as "liberal" to be close-minded, myopic, and bigoted.  Just listen to the leftist Air America radio if you're in the U.S.  There's a stream of anger and hatred that wouldn't be out of place at a Klan rally.

Agreed. I've had to reconsider lately my political alignment because I'm not one of those rabid liberals, either. I'm definitely a "moderate" whatever I am...