JohnMcMahon

MiracleMan

My understanding is that he gave up the money from the various Gaiman created characters (in the Spawnverse) rather than hand over the MM rights, which Neil claims he doesn't actually have anyway.

My understanding was that the judge ruled in the case hugely in Neil's favour that not only should Todd give up the money from the Gaiman created charcters but that also that Neil was correct and that Macfarlane never owned the rights to Miracleman though he claimed he did.

Right I've gone to Neil's blog to reread what he wrote about the conclusion of the case.

http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/2004/02/...r-long-time.asp

As I wrote the judge ruled in Gaiman's favour hugely but there still remains some confusion over Miracleman.

The judge ruled that the creators own the rights to all their work on it and that McFarlane owns none of the previously published material. But the question of new material seems to be in doubt.

So one thing that the court case did establish was that Todd obviously didn't, as he had been claiming, own all of Miracleman. As far as I can tell, or any of the lawyers working with us on the case could tell, Todd probably doesn't actually own any share of Miracleman. He certainly has no copyright in any of the existing work.

Ha! And to top it off, Neil walked away with the rights to Angela, Medeival Spawn and Cogliostro - some very popular players in the Spawniverse.

If memory serves, this whole Image 10th anniversary book was started way back before the Gaiman vs. McFarlane case was settled. It has taken McFarlane YEARS to finish this damn thing. I was slightly interested in it waaay back, if just to see the origin of Savage Dragon, but now don't give a damn. It's funny though; at my comic shop no one (customers or staff) seems to care and all the copies are just sitting on the shelf.

Shawn is right. Todd is just so fucking slow that the Image 10th Anniversary book is over 2 years late. If Todd hadn't gone bankrupt and had to sell Image, the company would be so out of business right now!

It'd be funny if they sued Todd for using Miracle Man's character after he lost the rights to them! :lol: I'm not sure how the court would rule in the case, since it was done before Todd lost the case....

Todd killed Angela in "Spawn" #100 because of the troubles with Gaiman, Lou.

What do you mean?

How is it possible for Todd not to have gone bankrupt, when everyone knows he has shite for brains? Well, that's an interesting cunundrum you've presented for us, Mojo. I think it is quite impossible in our world for someone like Todd to not eventually make enough stupid mistakes that he'd have to file for bankruptcy.

How is it possible for Todd not to have gone bankrupt, when everyone knows he has shite for brains?

Well, even from the little I know of that case McFarlanes bancrupcy seems to have more to do with a shite for brains judge. (Not the McFarlane vs Gaiman case of course, I mean Tony Twist vs McFarlane)

I can see both sides of the Twist case - obviously Tony wasn't affected in the slightest and was a bitch about the whole thing but Todd did admit that the character WAS named after baseball Tony, so following the letter of the law.....

Anyway, SCANS PLEASE!

Twist is a [over-used word] for suing, but MacFarlane's an idiot for not checking with him first, or at least using his name on a good guy.

He got sued for defamation, apparently, which is absurd and wouldn't happen under UK law.

What do you mean?

How is it possible for Todd not to have gone bankrupt, when everyone knows he has shite for brains? Well, that's an interesting cunundrum you've presented for us, Mojo. I think it is quite impossible in our world for someone like Todd to not eventually make enough stupid mistakes that he'd have to file for bankruptcy.

Todd never owned Image for him to sell it. Maybe he had to sell his interests, but he actually owned his OWN company that supported Image as a distribution and publication system. MacFarlane couldn't sell I mage if he wanted to...unless the makeup of that little brouhaha completely changed over the years. As it looked to me, each of the creators who formed Image formed their own in-house production companies (MacFarlane Studios, Top Cow, Extreme, Wildstorm, etc.), and then used the money from those to actually support Image as an "independent" publishing/distribution company that, in theory, would be used to help struggling and "indie" comic book creators get their work to the public. So THAT'S why I find the statement "Todd had to sell Image" a bit puzzling.

Best Todd bit...the man shells out millions of dollars to buy the baseballs from the historice home run race between Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa....and then the record is shattered a couple years later by Barry Bonds. Cue Nelson Muntz...HAW-HAW!

And now HERE'S a question...has Todd finally surpassed Liefeld as the most hated/laughable man in comics?

Well from what I understand (and I may not understand it and it was worded badly on my part as I meant he sold his interests), McFarlane owned controlling interests in Image and most of the other founders pulled out or went under before McFarlane went bankrupt, and Image is under completely new ownership at this time.

Yes, Todd is the most hated man in comics now.

Liefield is just a sad, pathetic little man who it is easy to laugh at. McFarlane is a royal bastard and stain upon Canada.

I agree that this Tony guy who sued Todd was just being a sue-crazy bitch and a baby, but I have a real dislike for McFarlane and like to see him brought low. The guy is a complete egomaniac.

All Liefield does is draw half-naked women with boobs that'd pull them straight onto their faces and men with tiny heads, giant bodies, and tight clothes and then whine when no one likes his plotless books.

This raises a good question...who of the original "big names" even have anything to do with Image at this point?

Jim Lee obviously packed up Wildstorm and headed over to DC.

Liefeld plows through monstrosities resembling production houses like it was the coke he's been snorting off of his Levis 501 jeans.

Larsen is actually actually the publisher of Image at this point, and his Highbrow Entertainment is still with them. Larsen took over for Valentino, so I'm assuming he's done and out on his own. And as far as I know, Silvestri's Top Cow and MacFarlane's mess of a company are still under the Image banner, too.

So I couldn't find anything that indicated Silvestri, Tood or Larsen don't still have significant controlling interests in Image as owners/investors.

Oh, you're right about Larsen. He is the "new guy" I was thinking of, not a new guy at all. Larsen and Lee are the only founding fathers of Image that I have any faith in, anyway.

If I remember correctly, Top Cow went out of business two or three years ago.

For better or for worse, the Cow is still in the now.

Title-wise, it brings in FAR more money to Image than Todd or Larsen can. Todd really just has his toys working for him at this point. Larsen is really just...there.

But, at least they finally ended up sort of moving towards where they should have always been, namely putting out things like Bendis's early series and Kirkman's stuff.

Is it worth me hunting down Miracleman issues---is it *that* great?

Can someone sort out for me what I should even look for in terms of continuity? The many names and many runs just makes it all seem impossible to sort out.

Is it worth me hunting down Miracleman issues---is it *that* great?

Can someone sort out for me what I should even look for in terms of continuity? The many names and many runs just makes it all seem impossible to sort out.

Yes, it's that great. Possibly better.

There's not so many runs to worry about, either - just Miracleman #1-16 by Alan Moore, and (less essentially) #17-24 (and the unpublished #25) by Neil Gaiman. There're a few other bits and pieces - Gaiman's three-issue Miracleman: Apocrypha miniseries/trade is excellent, for example - but that's pretty much it, really.

You'll have a bugger of a job finding them, though. I strongly recommend casting around to see if anyone can send you scanned copies of the issues, because they're definitely available online.

Due to Todd. The issues are godly impossible to find. And when you do find them. They cost like 15-60 bucks an issue.

Miracleman is that damn good, and better.

I don't have much to add to the discussion, mind, just that.

Seriously, I think it probably is the be-all and end-all of the superhero oeuvre.