JohnMcMahon

MiracleMan

"There's not so many runs to worry about, either - just Miracleman #1-16 by Alan Moore, and (less essentially) #17-24 (and the unpublished #25) by Neil Gaiman. There're a few other bits and pieces - Gaiman's three-issue Miracleman: Apocrypha miniseries/trade is excellent, for example - but that's pretty much it, really."

Everyone is right that it is that essential.

Although Mark is wrong in that Neil Gaiman's issues are the superior run.

The Apocrypha is a good read, but not essential, and it's not actually a Neil Gaiman mini-series. Gaiman wrote a "framing sequence" short story, but it's actually an anthology of short stories by myriad comic creators (Wagner, Robinson, and Busiek to name 3). The Apocrypha is actually pretty easy to find though, but you need to save it until last anyway.

Neil Gaiman's run is collected in one Trade (except for #25), but it'll run you some big money. I got a copy for $40 on E-Bay, usually it runs around $75.

Alan Moore's run is much rarer and even more expensive. Thanks to Rogan, I own the first 16 issues and #25 on disc.

The Apocrypha is a good read, but not essential, and it's not actually a Neil Gaiman mini-series. Gaiman wrote a "framing sequence" short story, but it's actually an anthology of short stories by myriad comic creators (Wagner, Robinson, and Busiek to name 3)

Gah! Of course, you're right. Sorry, momentary brain-fart on my part there.

I still prefer Moore's run, personally. But it's swings/roundabouts, really - both are excellent, but not everyone's quite so devoted a Gaiman fan as your good self.

I fired up the illegal program this morning, and was suprised that I could find so many people carrying the full run! I've in my possession what appears to be every published and unpublished piece of MM material that ever existed. ETA: But no Marvelman stuff, that is.

I'll pop back in with some thoughts later on. Plan to read an issue or two before I go off to the coal mines.

umm....I'm not positive, but "Marvelman" is either a different series than the Moore/Gaiman version that you have no need to read, or "Marvelman" was the original name for Moore's "Miracleman" before Marvel Comics got on their case and made them change the name. Either way, if you have "Miracleman" #1-25, plus the "Apocrypha" mini-series you've got everything you need!

umm....I'm not positive, but "Marvelman" is either a different series than the Moore/Gaiman version that you have no need to read, or "Marvelman" was the original name for Moore's "Miracleman" before Marvel Comics got on their case and made them change the name. Either way, if you have "Miracleman" #1-25, plus the "Apocrypha" mini-series you've got everything you need!

Both - MarvelMan was the old character who Moore originally revamped in the pages of Warrior magazine, writing a few issues before the magazine folded. When he came back a couple of years later to finish the series off, Marvel threatened all sorts of dire legal action, so the character's name was changed to MiracleMan - the first few issues of Miracleman are colorised reprints of the original Marvelman series, but other than the name change and colour, the content is identical, and after those first couple of issues, it's all new anyway.

The full story (well, most of it, anyway) behind the series can be found here, but watch out for a few spoilers if you haven't read Miracleman.

When he came back a couple of years later to finish the series off, Marvel threatened all sorts of dire legal action, so the character's name was changed to MiracleMan

Miracleman's a better name anyway.

Because of the Ozzy Osbourne song?

Coming next year from Image!

Cyclopz, Sturm, Wulverin & Nitecrawlr along with their mentor School Master X! Together, they are the "Men X"!

I finished it last night.

Yes, it really is THAT good.

I had me a little cry.

The apex, for me, was Olympus. I don't know what could top that. I love Gaiman, but against Moore, he just seemed a little bit flat.

The Aphrodite chapter left me in awe. Just a sample:

"As Zeus loved mortal women in the form of golden sparks, we know humans in a shower of phosphor-dots. As objects of mankind's desire, both carnal and spiritual, countless solitary climaxes are reached each night, their feverish devotions, eyes clenched tight, a catechism of sighs.

As icons there are silkscreens, videos, and by sattellite, she operates a worldwide cable system, network-scheduled visitations to the chosen, to the faithful, to the hard and to the aching . . .

. . . Goddess of pulp lust, cold Crystler glamor, I ascend into her soundtrack of forgotten high school pop and digitally-sampled torch songs. I rise up to eyes like glaciers, lips like fate."

I don't even have something I could say in response.

You should try to get a hold of Kimota (out of print but can be found on e-bay). The book is full of interviews with everyone involved in Miracleman comic Alan Moore, Gaiman, Veitch etc.... It is kind of interesting that Eclipse imploded because it cheated a guy who translated their Japanese titles into english. The translator went to Dark Horse and found that he was making the same amount of money but selling less. This led to a financial review of Eclipse resulting in a very large settlement.

I guess this is the only Miracleman thread on this forum? I couldn't find the announcement about Miracleman coming to Marvel.

Anyway, Marvel has now canceled the continuation of Neil Gaiman's run. Marvel claims they will resolicit it at a later time, but as of now, Marvel has not announced when that may happen.

I'm taking bets that Marvel never actually had plans to finish Miracleman, and this was all a trick. Who wants to take up the bet?

Maybe they are waiting for him to build up some inventory before scheduling it again?

Did they ever put out Paperback trades of the Alan Moore stuff?

Nope. Marvel's web-site lists hardcover editions of all of the Moore and Gaiman issues. I'm guessing that Marvel doesn't plan to do paperback versions for Miracleman.

Are the hardbacks padded out with a load of Mick Anglo stories from the '60s and pointless fluff the way the comics were, or are those just the Marvelman strips from this side of '82?

Those are called extras, Dog. You should be happy to have them included, it gives you more value for your money. Considering the cost of hardcovers, I would image that there are a plethora of extras beyond the imagination of those who can only dream of the amount of extras included with the individual comics!

I don't know. Vol. 1 lists a collection of issues #1-4 and comes in at 152 pages. Those figures would seem to lead to the conclusion of lots of back-matter included.

Thats too bad, I'll get these in softcover, but im not paying hardcover price for these. Come on Marvel, help a guy out.