• 2.Rob Liefield
    • 3.Chuch Austen
    • 4.John Byrne
    • 5.Warren Ellis
    • 6.Dave Sim
    • 7.Howard Mackie
    • 8.Other (please explain)

Guest spiderlegs

I know some folk who don't think much of Avi Arad. Take away the SPIDER-MAN film franchise and MARVEL looks as bad as DC as far as film adaptations are concerned (ELEKTRA, DAREDEVIL, HULK, FANTASTIC 4, et al).

Mackie was writing (adjectiveless) "Spider Man" during the time of the "Clone Wars".....

No one man can take blame for anything as atrocious as that though. It took many people to create such a diabolical plot!

Mackie hasn't done anything to make people hate him, he is just such a bland writer that no one can read much of his work without falling asleep and once he gets on a title, he never leaves! He must've been screwing the editors or something!

He wrote "Spider Man" and "X-Factor" for many years, even though no one bought the titles anymore, and then they rewarded him by giving him an X-title about Havok in an alternate universe all to himself, which sold for shite, but Marvel kept publishing month after month. Finally, he decided that people wouldn't buy a book with his name on it, but he could TRICK people into buying his work by claiming to be a "mystery writer" named "X" on that "Brotherhood" comic fiasco. At first, fans were intrigued, then they realized that someone very boring was writing the book and stopped reading it.

He wrote "Spider Man" and "X-Factor" for many years, even though no one bought the titles anymore, and then they rewarded him by giving him an X-title about Havok in an alternate universe all to himself, which sold for shite

Because it was shite. That was one of the worst titles I've ever seen, ever, ever, ever ever everevereverever. How he got so many issues out is far beyond my ken. I will never forgive him for what he did to Havok! :mad:

I had to go with "other," since Jim Shooter gets my vote . . . Why?  Valiant Comics . . .

:o

I loved Valiant.

:blink:

So did I, for about the first year or so. Then it all went to complete and utter shit, both in terms of sales and creative output.

6.Dave Sim-He hates women! He's a Christian! He's a Right-Winger! He rambled on for 20 pages in every comic he wrote about why homosexual Liberal women ruined the world! Sure his "Cerebus" comic is brilliant, but what else has he done? Just stuff to make him hate us!

I thought he'd converted to Islam? Or has he swapped back now? Or did he never convert in the first place and I'm confusing him with someone else?

Dave Sim is a Christian rightwinger???? I feel really dumb now. Did I entirely misread Church and State or are you guys involved in a vast conspiracy to make me feel stupid?

6.Dave Sim-He hates women! He's a Christian! He's a Right-Winger! He rambled on for 20 pages in every comic he wrote about why homosexual Liberal women ruined the world! Sure his "Cerebus" comic is brilliant, but what else has he done? Just stuff to make him hate us!

I thought he'd converted to Islam? Or has he swapped back now? Or did he never convert in the first place and I'm confusing him with someone else?

He actually follows his own personal part-Islamic, part-Christian, part-miscellaneous religion, I believe, but it's more closely-related to Islam than anything else.

I thought his religion was Old Testament Christianity, which also includes many Judaic and Islamic beliefs? He seemed to just combine all of the Monotheistic major religions, due to their worship of the same "God" and having the same patriarchs of their faith.

And, yes, he is Right-Wing on quite a few topics. He went off in a rant after Sept. 11th, 2001 about how he's ashamed of Canada because it's run by "Liberals", which is hardly the case....but whatever.

Abhi-"Church & State" was during one of his more lucid days.

"Because it was shite. That was one of the worst titles I've ever seen, ever, ever, ever ever everevereverever. How he got so many issues out is far beyond my ken. I will never forgive him for what he did to Havok! "

Yeah, but it gave us the funniest reviews ever written on the "X-Axis" web-site!

Yeah, but it gave us the funniest reviews ever written on the "X-Axis" web-site!

Oh gawds yes. The reviews of the final two issues are classics, and it's difficult to choose a favorite.

Lest we forget how truly awful Howard Mackie can be, don't leave out his Rogue miniseries, which I'm ashamed to admit I still own. Even though I own it solely to mock, having it in my collection downgrades the collective quality level of the whole.

Lest we forget how truly awful Howard Mackie can be, don't leave out his Rogue miniseries, which I'm ashamed to admit I still own. Even though I own it solely to mock,  having it in my collection downgrades the collective quality level of the whole.

Quick Selkie! Seperate it from the rest of the group, it's making the rest of your comics sad. :icon_cry: Begin quarantine procedures immeadiately, before the infection spreads.

Everytime I tried to read Cerebus, I was instantly turned off. I must have tried to read that first trade over a dozen times, and could never force myself to finish it.

toss between McFarlane and Leifeld for me. both of them have screwed over creators big time (Todd both Gaiman and Moore, Leifeld mostly Moore), and both are responsible for the 'big tits and ugly feet' style of superhero art

Ugly feet??

Quick Selkie! Seperate it from the rest of the group, it's making the rest of your comics sad. :icon_cry:  Begin quarantine procedures immeadiately, before the infection spreads.

Now that you mention it, that's probably a wise move. I should put the copy of the last issue of Mutant X in there with them.

Everytime I tried to read Cerebus, I was instantly turned off. I must have tried to read that first trade over a dozen times, and could never force myself to finish it.

If it's any consolation, I still don't know how I made it through Jaka's Story. I always hear about how brilliant Cerebus is, but that trade certainly didn't make me a believer.

:blink:

The first "Cerebus" Trade is an acquired taste. It's a parody of "Conan The Barbarian". The book gets must more cerebral from there, and then it goes off into "Sim Land", which is also an acquired taste.

The "Rogue" mini-series? Was that by Mackie? But....didn't you all cry when Rogue went back to see the first boy she ever kissed and he came out of his coma and Gambit killed him because he was infected by a demon and was going to kill her?! I forget the actual damn plot....but I think it was something like that. It was just really boring with nice, shiny covers.

I don't know how you all manage to know of all the bad comic writers. I can't think of the name of one who deserves to be on the most hated list. But only because I don't keep reading books with writing I dislike, and without monthly contact I forget those bad writers' names....

I don't know how you all manage to know of all the bad comic writers.  I can't think of the name of one who deserves to be on the most hated list.  But only because I don't keep reading books with writing I dislike, and without monthly contact I forget those bad writers' names....

Some experiences are so awful they are permanently seared into your mind. :ohmy:

Maybe a lot of these didn't sell well, or they were in genres or titles that I am not partial too. The titles and writers you all mentioned sound so bad that I'm perversely hoping to recognize at least one of each from my own reading. 8-)

Reggie Hudlin needs to be brutally sodomized. Shot. Stabbed. Raped by Magilla the Gorilla. Then kicked in the head by a iron boot. Raped again, only this time by Gorilla Grodd and Solomon Grundy. Then forced to watch Golden Girls reruns and then forced to listen to Celien Dion CD's and then slapped in the face with a Iron glove filled with TNT.

Once all that is done. he needs to be fired from Marvel and black listed.

The guys attitude is incredilby arogant and racist. He pulls out the race card whenever someone questions his writing. And I think one time he actually said. Un-jokingly that anybody who hates his work.. Is a racist. Seriously. Thats how much a prick he is.

Reggie Hudlin needs to brutally sodomized. Shot. Stabbed. Raped by Magilla the Gorilla. Then kicked in the head by a iron boot. Raped again, only this time by Gorilla Grodd and Solomon Grundy. Then forced to watch Golden Girls reruns and then forced to listen to Celien Dion CD's and then slapped in the face with a Iron glove filled with TNT.

You don't have to worry. If he's black, all he has to do is go up to the mountains and that will happen to him. :cool:

That's so bad! :)

Josh, all I can say if you are lucky to have not had to experience most of these guys. It could be the age-difference, as these are mostly names whos started from the early-90s. I was in high school, so I was more likely to pick up all X-titles or the "cool, new Image title written by Todd McFarlane!", where you'd have more refined tastes as you were already an adult.

If that's when you started reading comics, I'm very surprised you haven't heard of at least McFarlane and Liefeld - both were still pretty huge names at that point, on very high-profile books, and selling shitloads of their terrible, terrible comics. You really aren't missing anything significant, though, so it's not worth dwelling on.

Shawn - Christian's right, the first Cerebus trade is definitely an acquired taste. It really comes into its own in the next volume, High Society, and the volumes which follow it (Church & State I & II, Jaka's Story and Melmoth) remain, for my money, some of the finest graphic novels ever produced. After that, Sim's misogyny, homophobia, and increasingly bizarre political views begin to creep into the series, but there's still a lot to enjoy and/or admire until at least issue #200 or so. After that, it's basically a bit like watching a particularly ugly train-wreck - still magnificently drawn, laid-out, and lettered, but possessed of such a noxiously offensive political slant (not to mention the scarily dense text-based sections) as to make much of it barely readable.

I found another reason to not hate McFarlane, he directed Pearl Jam's "Do the Evolution" music video. But a jackass is a jackass.