• 1.Todd McFarlane
    • 2.Rob Liefield
    • 3.Chuch Austen
    • 4.John Byrne
    • 5.Warren Ellis
    • 6.Dave Sim
    • 7.Howard Mackie
    • 8.Other (please explain)

I'd have to go with Rob liefield due to the drawing clones he spawned. He never draws ankles or wrists his characters are the stuff that kids draws on the side of their paper during class.

If you wish to read a good article on why Todd is an ass here is a link to a Comics Journal article on the decline and fall of image. It has interviews with Todd, Rob and a few others. Rob is actually a really nice guy his art is horrible but he is alright.

FAll of Image Article

I love Rob's breast implant Captain America.

capnekkid.jpg

Cap looks pregnant in the naked picture.

Oh god....I remember I bought a few of those "Heroes Reborn Captain America" comics for a friend who collected all "Avengers" titles. I was buying the F.F. and Iron Man books, so I decided, "what the hell, I'll give Cap and Avengers a try too since I'm getting them anyway". I tried reading the first 3 issues of the Cap series and felt like a prostitute must feel every night....It was Liefield at his coke addled worst!

If that's when you started reading comics, I'm very surprised you haven't heard of at least McFarlane and Liefeld - both were still pretty huge names at that point, on very high-profile books, and selling shitloads of their terrible, terrible comics. You really aren't missing anything significant, though, so it's not worth dwelling on.

Until getting on STH last year I spent just about no time discussing comics with others, so I wouldn't have known who was big or not, or what books I was supposed to pay attention to.

I'm quite happy that I didn't waste time, money and storage space on books that are as bad as the ones you all have been describing. It'd just be funny to be able to look at one (without having to pay for it or own it), or to hear a really detailed summary of one, like a Mad magazine movie satire. 8-)

That's so bad! :)

Josh, all I can say if you are lucky to have not had to experience most of these guys.

It's not luck, it's skill. 8-)

It could be the age-difference, as these are mostly names whos started from the early-90s.

I was in high school, so I was more likely to pick up all X-titles or the "cool, new Image title written by Todd McFarlane!", where you'd have more refined tastes as you were already an adult.

Oh, I don't know about that. Starting in 1993 and for a few years thereafter I would at times buy books with a particularly hot-looking woman on the cover without paying sufficient attention to the book's interior. As a matter of fact, I started getting into comics after first seeing in the store window and buying a copy of Catwoman ... while she was being drawn by Jim Balent. :tongue:

In those years, I didn't have much money to spend on comics, so I had to choose carefully. I approach comics like cruising: I am definitely attracted by what's on the outside (the cover), but if my critical faculties don't get overwhelmed, I leaf through a book waiting for a "buy me" vibe, based on a very quick and incomplete gestalt made up of a page or two of dialogue I focus on and a general impression of the art and action. So either the covers of the McFarland and Liefeld books never pulled me in, or leafing through their books left me cold. Checking out comics in the store is so "living in the moment" for me that I generally can't recall what went through my head while looking at any particular book....

I'm quite happy that I didn't waste time, money and storage space on books that are as bad as the ones you all have been describing.  It'd just be funny to be able to look at one (without having to pay for it or own it), or to hear a really detailed summary of one, like a Mad magazine movie satire.  8-)

Likewise, actually. As I didn't really get into comics as a kid, and therefore managed to avoid this stuff at the time, my knowledge of the really bad writers/artists being discussed here is largely after-the-fact, derived from either friends' comic collections or online.

Oh, and if you fancy a giggle - there's an examination of Rob Liefeld's Captain America, complete with numerous art samples, here. It's probably just what you're after.

1. Tim Sale!

Could never understand how someone would like his paintings! In my opinion overrated and also I never understood that redesign in sixty style he writes on his banner!

He tries to draw like Mignola but fails! You loser Sale!!

"Can't talk now, honey, I have to balance carefully on the invisible tightrope in the middle of our kitchen"

This is the funniest! :lol:

Josh-You could also go TheXAxis.com

The Mcfarlane toss pot. Ok artist, shit poor writer nasty mean capitalist whore.

thats where the dale vote went.

Ellis can write crap some days, but i figure thats like the rest of us putting two legs into the one trouser hole. You do something enough you fuck it up every once in a while. On average he is great.