Mark

Hellblazer: All His Engines OGN

Really? I stand corrected. I've only heard the phrase used in the context of 'out of the continuing universe of the comic', such as those "What if Batman was a squirrel?" stories they used to do in the 90s.

Guest Guest

Surely it must fit somewhere. The Horrorist although 'out of continuity' did fit into somewhere, before the monkey issue I think.

(Although, saying that, I can't ever see Constantinemite ever being in Hellblazer continuity, even though it is in DCU continuity.)

I dunno, Tom, does it really matter what you think of Constanteen ?

colon, hyphen, Phosphorus.

But, here's a more considered answer: If we are going to berate a film and comment on a series based on what has gone before, don't you think a bit of banter along these lines is perfectly agreeable (or disagreeable in James' case) ?

The fact is that the Hellblazer series does fit together like one single 1000 piece jigsaw - as opposed to one of the Vatican jumbled up with one showing a scene from The Matrix. Me and James are just playing with the Hellblazer jigsaw.

Taking it in the context of comics "continuity", James's definition is the common one, but Hellblazer is fairly unique among long-running series, in that it has not been rebooted, retroactively changed (much) or revamped (yet). And more importantly the issues are published in approximate "real-time". But in the movie concept of continuity, sequences can be shot out of sequence and still remain in continuity (and even shown out of sequence - obv.ref. Memento, Ju-On).

AHE could sit in several places during the Hellblazer Timeline, but given character development, it comes down to whether you think Chas's behaviours are best explained as "mid-life crisis" or "crisis of demonic possession".

And I'm going for the latter.

My point, Monsieur Brown, is that AHE is a fucking great read and part of it's greatness stems from the fact that it isn't heavily tied into the "continuity" of the monthly title.

I personally would prefer for the main book to be written in this less continuity heavy fashion.

Then I put it to you that what you meant to say was not "does it matter?" (a question not rhetorical enough on an internet forum) but "I personally would prefer for the main book to be written in this less continuity heavy fashion".

I fully agree with you about preferring this kind of story.

However, a story being crammed with references to the ongoing story is not the same as it being part of that ongoing story. Which is what we were debating.

That was what's known in the trade as a "cock-up". No continuity implications at all.

Why bother? It has no real bearing on the events of the monthly title, there's no way to squeeze it into Carey's timeline in a wholly satisfactory manner...just read it as a self-contained story, and don't worry about irrelevant 'continuity' issues. Because that's all they are - irrelevant.

Simple.

That'd be the thin end of the wedge, then.

But what you mean to say, Mark, is that you are not bothered, and you find it irrelevant.

But if you take any single issue of Hellblazer, if it is enjoyable in any way, then the rest of the series does not matter.

And in case anyone does want to know where All His Engines has its place in the story of John Constantine then "at the end of the current arc" is where it sits according to the writer. Although perhaps editorial laxity might have some people thinking otherwise.

Just in case anyone is mildly interested in this sort of thing.

I know.

To be honest I can't be arguing with you about this when we should unite against the people who think "it doesn't really matter". The answer comes from my psychological rationalisation rather than a load of "facts" laid down in the story.

If that makes you feel better.

Generally, I'm happy to play the continuity game - it's fun, and serves a purpose, however trivial (the overall canon of HB is undoubtedly stronger for having a pretty coherent chronology and continuity). But when the writer of this particular story had apparently said himself that it doesn't fit into his continuity (that's what was suggested earlier in this thread, anyway), I'm happy to let it slide. "At the end of the current arc" is plenty good enough for me if a specific place in the timeline really has to be assigned to it, but if that can't be made to work without ignoring a whole load of stuff (due, no doubt, to the editorial laxity you mention) I'd rather just take the story purely on it's own merits. Personally.

Doesn't mean other people can't rationalise it any way they want to - I'm not claiming the moral high ground, or anything. That'd just be silly.

Guest spiderlegs

As noted before in this thread, it's still quite remarkable the HELLBLAZER has gone some 206+ issues without a major overhaul and the continuity is more or less real time. Isn't that unheard of? So, these types of discussions are interesting for that reason (as well as others).

It's a message board passtime to argue the little things anyway. What the hell else are message boards for?

The source for the title for 'All His Engines' has been buzzing around in my head for a while. The other day I was looking through the paperbacks in WH Smith for something by Denise Mina, and couldn't find anything, but they did have Paradise Lost by John Milton in the M section, so I bought that. I eventually got Garnethill from Amazon so now I have two books I'm trying to read at once.