Mark

Hellblazer: All His Engines OGN

It's from Paradise Lost. They quote it on the first page.

Never heard it outside of those two sources.

they did have Paradise Lost by John Milton in the M section, so I bought that. I eventually got Garnethill from Amazon so now I have two books I'm trying to read at once.

If you find Paradise Lost somewhat heavy going (I know I did, and I spent 3 months studying it at University), it's worth persevering at least through the first 4 books. For the sake of pop-culture references, those are the only bits anyone ever mentions anyway, 'cos after that the 'cool' stuff with the Devil in Hell takes something of a back seat. It's still got some wonderful passages of poetry, but it's hard to deny that something of the spark is lost once Milton gets into full-on Christian mode.

Hope you enjoy the books, anyway - in their very different ways, they're both fantastic.

Thanks. I'm reading Paradise Lost (very slowly) on the train, and I'm keeping Garnethill at home for bedtime reading.

I've only read the introduction sections so far. Interesting stuff about foreknowledge, free will and neccessity and so on. I never realised Milton was buried in St Giles Cripplegate, which is in the Barbican next to Moorgate where I get off the train most mornings. I'll have to take a look on my way to work.

It usually takes Vertigo about a year to release a book in softcover. I wouldn't be expecting it until March 2006. But, yes, there will certainly be a softcover.

what to say about this? beautiful hardcover, beautiful illustration, tone and everything, a bit straight story not really massive but interesting because pf the connection between the aztec demon and john. and chas family background.

Well, I'm a few months late to be sounding off on this one, but here goes.

I liked the artwork, liked the dialogue, and generally enjoyed the plot. Generally.

While I won't say I was let down, having read so much Hellblazer already, I was sort of underwhelmed at how generic the story seemed. It was cookie-cutter Hellblazer. Actually, that's unfair. It was a fairly simple story that seemed targeted at people unfamiliar with the series. I really didn't feel that there was much to interest the longterm fan, aside from a dcecent, if a bit too familiar story. I can't really put my finger on it, but there was just too many Hellblazer staples crammed in (See John get a mate killed! See John be a snarky bastard! See John's asshole father and trouble childhood).

There were some good moments though. I liked the inclusion of the Aztec Gods (although I can't figure out why they set it in L.A., other than the fact that it came out around the same time as the film). I liked Chas getting the girl. And I really like this one bit of dialogue:

Chas: I'm coming, John! Me martial arts training will come in handy!

Constantine: What training? Tae Kwon Wheel Wrench? Shut up, Chas.

Again. Can't put my finger on it, but Carey's monthly run (I just re-read Red Sepulchre) comes across as much more original and exciting. That's not to say AHE is bad by any means; I just wish I hadn't paid $24.95 for a story I felt like I already read a dozen times throughout the series.

(although I can't figure out why they set it in L.A., other than the fact that it came out around the same time as the film)

That's pretty much it, actually!

I'm surprised I haven't seen any solicitations for a softcover yet. I wonder if that means it didn't sell well enough to warrant a paperback.

Nah, Vertigo usually wait at least a year before bringing out paperbacks. That way they make sure that people who are desperate to read it will pay that little bit more. Sandman: Endless Nights took about a year to be re-released, I think.

Well it was a little over a year but the "All His Engines" softcover will be out on July 12 for $14.99 USD or whatever your local comic shop decides to charge.

phillip seymour hoffman before the oscar was in a movie called love liza.it was about a guy who starts to huff paint to knumb the pain of his wifes suicide.

before she died she wrote him a note addressed "love liza" i fell aslep but i think he knew it would be the last thing she ever says to him so he never opened it.

thats kinda how i feel about all his engines.i loved careys run on the book more than most any other run of any damn book and a quick peak shows manco in top form art wise.

i brought this thing to work and instead of reading it, did other stuff all night.i'm thinking of saving this for the weekend and packing a few bowls of good weed and say good bye to my liza.

i figure weeds safer than paint fumes.

Late to the party as always...

Loved AHE. I really loved how out of place John seemed drawn in bright, sunny, wide open LA (as opposed to enclosed, dark, dreary--but I loves it so--London). It captured visually what John said while walking, "The city doesn't open up for me the same way". LA starts there, in the open. Its pretty much a perfect, self contained, Constantine story, perfect to introduce new readers to the character and world of Hellblazer.

Most of the niggles have been beaten to death so I won't repeat them. LAX--indeed all of LA--was really well captured, but that wasn't the International terminal he was at--and there would never be a flight continuation to San Diego from LA after the 12-14 hour direct flight from London, especially not out of the International Terminal.

I loved seeing the creatures of the different myth structures doing battle too.

All in all, why didn't I read it earlier? And is there more like this I'm missing?