electricinca

X-Men 3 Trailer

They played the seven minute clip on TV tonight. I would just like to add that Kelsey Grammer looks great as the Beast.

By the way, X3 got "2 thumbs up" from Ebert & Roeper---- usually a good sign.

Read 12 reviews so far and all of them confirm what we suspected - tons of FX and setpieces and none of the depth and intelligence that made the previous X Men movies so good. Even the ones that give it a sort-of-thumbs-up say that it is by far the worst one. Just what fucking genius gave this movie to Brett Ratner anyhow.

Don't blame the director, his job was to direct so he directed. He worked with what he got and that was what the screenwriters and producers gave him.

Don't blame the director, his job was to direct so he directed. He worked with what he got and that was what the screenwriters and producers gave him.

And yet he still bummed Red Dragon, even though he was armed to the tits with actors.

Abhi speaks the truth.

Ratner is an arseclown.

Maybe true, but it's been pretty obvious that this film was going to be shit since well before Ratner was attached to the project. His presence probably didn't help, but I doubt his direction is the main problem with the film.

Unless I'm pleasantly surprised and it turns out not to be ass after all, of course.

Did Ratner himself write the Red Dragon screenplay? If so, then w/e, I'm just trying to point of that even great directors can make crappy movies because of the screenwriters. Sure, the directors maybe be the one giving the directions, but all they're basically doing is bringing the story to life, that way we'll see what the writers were writing in the first place.

Plus, I remember a lot of the plot being leaked even before Ratner was there and so far the only complaints I hear of X3 is the story, not really the vision or direction or how it was directed. As I stated before, if you don't like the story, blame the producers and the screenwriters, they're the huge difference from the last film whose original writers left along w/ Singer.

Read 12 reviews so far and all of them confirm what we suspected - tons of FX and setpieces and none of the depth and intelligence that made the previous X Men movies so good. Even the ones that give it a sort-of-thumbs-up say that it is by far the worst one. Just what fucking genius gave this movie to Brett Ratner anyhow.

I didnt read only that.

I hope it wont be like this, if i have luck (?) i see it today.

I didnt read only that.

I hope it wont be like this, if i have luck (?) i see it today.

Well, on Rotten Tomatoes it seems to be the overwhelming consensus. Also, I don't buy the school of 'its not the director's fault'. Yes, the screenplay has a lot to do with it but I do think that had Singer stayed on, he would have a) tweaked the screenplay and b) made a better movie out of it. Rattner likes and is comfortable with action setpieces. As a result, I think its all the movie consists of. More bang for your buck seems to be the guy's philosophy. I'm not saying its the movie's main drawback though. It probably isnt, I'm sure Mark's right, there.

I may well be wrong about all this but the reviews dont bode well on that front. I'll find out soon enough.

Meh, from the sound of it, it's not going to top X-Men 2 in terms of quality, really enjoyed that one. The first X-Men was pretty underwhelming in my opinion though...

So, saw it today in English, as a pre-premiere together with my elder sister.

Those who payed attention about my X-Men history know that the announcement teaser was the reason why i got hooked up in the X-Men world, which i found ridicolous beforehand, seeing only the ending part in German, without knowing what wass needed not to amuse yourself but really be inspired from in an other view ludicrous occasions in these films.

But after buying and viewing them in their original language and seeing it in good quality, i really got to love them and both are high on my comicbook-films, not that my opinion would be worht much.

I find X 1 an easier film to watch often, but X2 better.

So after this and the other trailer's war-atmosphere i highly awaited it and thought with addition of even more seriousness compared to 1 2 this will be a great film.

After seeing a big handful of clips this anticipation shrinked a lot.

But i still watched it, after dismissing Da Vinci Code.

But because you surely arent interested in all this personal blabla, heres the review:

Like with Vendetta my mood wasnt the best because of time, space, money and video problems.

And of course big lads in front of us, a pain in the ass and talking fuckers behind us made me angry.

Plus only two trailers and we had to wait 10 minutes before anything lighted up on the screen.

After a short time i knew:

This film has again godawful, overpathosed music, like in the first two parts, and i asked myself why they dont attach the broody trailer music.

Why no decent, dark score?

It was also kinda empty though the scenes were fast and flashy, but had no coherence, like you would throw some parts together without caring to link them, although the scenes themselves werent bad, on the other and also not perfect.

Another thing i experienced was that this part has the prettiest cinematography from the three, it just looked super-neat.

And eventually, after Phoenix awoke, the film started to be real good.

Of course, it hasnt had the depth of the second.

True, it also wasnt so action-packed as the first.

Still, the existing action-scenes, and particulary two, were amazing i cannot describe those in words (

Phoenix lifting a whole house and subsequently killing Xavier, Magneto carrying a bridge to Alcatraz
).

I almost yelled out loud "How fkin great was that, i cant believe it Jesus Christ OMG etc", but the crowd was so hooked in and silent, i didnt want to get even more attention after chewing and burping loudly (I really didnt want to but what can you do).

However, its of course not perfect.

Yeah it looks good, includes some superb action scenes, Wolverine and other mutants are cool (Phoenix, Beast in Action mode, Storm, Kitty Pride, Callisto), Magnetos and Xaviers voices chilling, some thrills, some brainfood, little humour, but there were some stupid jokes, a bunch of cheeesy romantic/military/superhero scenes and the president talked like an idiot.

Juggernaut looked devastatingly stupid, but to his luck he was so damn funny in a dum-dum way.

Beasts voice wasnt so cool as i thought.

The flying looked extremely unrealistic.

There could have been more character development or simple just more content.

It was not so deep as i expected, but it wasnt also only easy-going.

Sometimes it was cliched, like how the Brotherhood army was presented in behaviour and looks for instance.

And the extras were shit on a stick.

On the other side it was quite short and i was never bored, after it finished i asked myself "Damn i want more", i thought its far longer, that there is something waiting to see, something left out.

Two times i almost cried.

And it reminded me of some other films.

So the bottom line is, that its not perfect, it has got only a bit from everything, but most of what we see is decent, hence i recommend to see it sometime for those who liked the first two, its like those combined with some substracted material.

There is one scene after the credits, what isnt long but has to be known, so ill say you drop me a PM and i tell you what it is, you dont have to stay the whole credits for it.

I was disappointed that Mysthique became a human so quickly, and also that Phoenix, Scott and Xavier passed away (Well, the last one didnt, actually).

I was also very sad that magneto was no mutant anymore.

I nearly laughed out loud when i thought about IMDB-foum discussions where the guessed who will die, maybe Scott, maybe Phoenix or even Xavier, and then they all did :lol:

I didnt like the ending, but Magneto playing chess alone in the park saved it for me, earlier it was just too happy.

The danger room is only that one scene we saw.

Thats it for now.

Ask away if it itches you.

Oh and whatsa matter with Ranter?

Why is he such a totally bad director?

Did Ratner himself write the Red Dragon screenplay? If so, then w/e, I'm just trying to point of that even great directors can make crappy movies because of the screenwriters. Sure, the directors maybe be the one giving the directions, but all they're basically doing is bringing the story to life, that way we'll see what the writers were writing in the first place.

Plus, I remember a lot of the plot being leaked even before Ratner was there and so far the only complaints I hear of X3 is the story, not really the vision or direction or how it was directed. As I stated before, if you don't like the story, blame the producers and the screenwriters, they're the huge difference from the last film whose original writers left along w/ Singer.

I think you underestimate, just how much a Director really does and the importance of film language, even in a restrictive Hollywood scenario.

Very good acting can curb poor dialogue, nuanced editing, camera movement can an acute use of music can steady poor script pacing.

Even breathless action can excuse overall crap plots.

No, it's not completely Ratner's fault, but you're just adding fuel to the fire by letting him Direct.

Unless I'm pleasantly surprised and it turns out not to be ass after all, of course. :happy:

He is a good example of what people mean when they criticize 'typical' Hollywood filmmaking. He is technically competent but has next to no creativity or in-depth understanding of the medium. He takes what the studios give him, shoots it and gives it back to them just the way they wanted it. He puts no real distinction, creativity, intelligence into his films. He has no visual style of his own. He can't reinterpret material. Basically all he can do is mechanically transfer whats in the script on to the screen. He's not an actor's director, writer's director or anything like that. He's a studio's director.

He's a hack, basically. Brought in by studios to string together a couple of action set pieces interspersed with a couple of expository conversations in order to make them a crapload of money.

Hacks are not necessarily a bad thing. There's a place in the industry for hacks to churn out prepackaged movies like Rush Hour and Rush Hour 2 and provide people with two forgettable hours of distraction. But to give him a project with real characters/subtext/serious themes etc was a big mistake.

I agree with Abe.

Plus, the movie was poor. The best bit in it was the final scene after the credits rolled.

That's your whole sequel right there. I didn't think they'd be able to make another worthwhile X-Men movie until I saw that.

<snip>

This film has again godawful, overpathosed music, like in the first two parts, and i asked myself why they dont attach the broody trailer music.

Why no decent, dark score?

It was also kinda empty though the scenes were fast and flashy, but had no coherence, like you would throw some parts together without caring to link them, although the scenes themselves werent bad, on the other and also not perfect.

Another thing i experienced was that this part has the prettiest cinematography from the three, it just looked super-neat.

And eventually, after Phoenix awoke, the film started to be real good.

Of course, it hasnt had the depth of the second.

True, it also wasnt so action-packed as the first.

<snip>

Yeah it looks good, includes some superb action scenes, Wolverine and other mutants are cool (Phoenix, Beast in Action mode, Storm, Kitty Pride, Callisto), Magnetos and Xaviers voices chilling, some thrills, some thoughtprovoking material, little humour, but there were some stupid jokes, a bunch of cheeesy romantic/military/superhero scenes and the president talked like an idiot.

<snip>

There could have been more character development or simple just more content.

It was not so deep as i expected, but it wasnt also only easy-going.

Sometimes it was cliched, like how the Brotherhood army was presented in behaviour and looks for instance.

<snip>

So the bottom line is, that its not perfect, it has got only a bit from everything,

<snip>

I think you answered you own question, hagren, even though Ahbi did a good job giving you a full answer.

Basically what you've described is a director who uses the "paint by numbers" approach. He slaps everything together just as any decent, journeyman might, but he has no soul, no ideas, no vision, no overall sense of how it is going to work as an organic whole. He's a style over substance guy, even if his style is "average, Hollywood bland."

BTW I never heard what you thought of my recommended western list. I'd be curious to know if you've tried watching any of the movies.

Also, hagren, could you edit your post to actually hide the spoilers? As it is, they're impossible not to read when scanning through the post, even with the words spoiler warning in front of them.

Like this:

[quote=spoilers][color=white] Put your spoilers here [/color][/quote]

Just cut and paste that whole thing if you want, and replace the "Put your spoilers here" with the actual spoilers. It's simple.

(Interesting review, by the way - it confirms a lot of what I'd suspected, both in terms of plot and quality).

Abhi: I almost disagreed with you but your last paragraph is really in line with my opinion.

Hes maybe an average director, but someone needs to make such movies for those who watch films only for fun, families, young people, they also have to be fed, thy wont go to cinema for watching a Lynch retroperspective.

Theres also room for that but naturally a director like Fincher is a far more creative one.

But of course you can make an outstanding film in the popcorn genre.

Its just there are so bad movies that a Rush Hour doenst sink too low.

Question: Not yet, i have so much films still to take out, but when im ready with the films of Tati and Linklater n many more, i will look for them too.

Its nothing against you just im not often in Vienna to take films out, and it costs money too what i dont have permanently, not speaking of availability issues, so please take my humble apologies.

Mark: Been there, done that.

Btw, Balty, i understand what Testys going on, but here the story was a bigger problem than the directing imho. Sans the together-thrown beginning.

And to echo the reviews of which Abhi rumbled:

Its true, X3 is a forgettable experience except those two action scenes, and im unhappy with the conclusion of the story, its nowhere near such genious moments like when Magneto killed a guard in his plastic prison because he had too much lead in his blood.

But for a popcorn-movie its good, if you lower your expectations, because its somehow small, i meself expected a far more angsty war-film.

Question: Not yet, i have so much films still to take out, but when im ready with the films of Tati and Linklater n many more, i will look for them too.

Its nothing against you just im not often in Vienna to take films out, and it costs money too what i dont have permanently, not speaking of availability issues, so please take my humble apologies.

No problem hagren. I was just curious.

I understand what it's like to be short of cash, and in no way am I telling you to go out and buy all those movies, although if any of them show up on TV, they are probably worth a couple hours of your time.

I've seen most of them (I've probably missed one or two out of that list). I just tried to provide you with a fairly representative sample of classic westerns -- the ones that nine out of ten critics would likely put on their "best westerns" list.

Well I saw it today.

For all it's many faults, the overall operetic ending scrap and the Grant Morrison X-Men scene were quite entertaining.

My expectations were really low though.

Ratner misses every metaphor and potential nuance of the admittadly stiff script.

NB-Stay after the credits.