electricinca

X-Men 3 Trailer

As I said in my first post, Gambit fans tend to split along gender lines, and there's nothing wrong with that. Female readers deserve a treat every now and again. :)

In his defence, he did wear more clothing than Psylocke, and he couldn't be accused of defying gravity in quite the same manner. ;) :D

Of course you still haven't explained your obvious issues with Gambit.  There must be something more than his eye candy status to explain why he has worked his way so far under your skin. :lol:

As I said, he's indicative of the problem with the X-books for the last 15 years or so. A character that's all style over substance...vague hints of a backstory or origin that go nowhere and only pop up when it's convenient or they're trying to introduce yet another poorly developed shade of a character that inexplicably is connected to everything and everyone yet never actually does anything of any importance or even interest. He's a mish-mash of every "hot" comic trend of the late 80's and early 90's, he's dull, he inspired countless go nowhere sotyrlines, and, perhaps worst of all, he's boring and underdeveloped.

THAT'S why I can't stand him, and all that he represents....ie-Marvel in the 90's.

I would chip in and contribute my dislike of Gambit, but Mojo's covered pretty much all the bases by now, I'd say. He was a shit, one-dimensional character from the start, and he never got developed any further, because he was deemed "cool" by the fanboys (and, presumably girls - but in my experience, Gambit was every bit as popular with male readers as he was with women - he was no more eye-candy than any number of similar chiselled-featured, smouldering pretty-boys who turned up at around the same time, because that's all Jim Lee can draw. It was his supposed "coolness" - his carefully-contrived blend of superficial mystery and edginess - not his sex appeal, which always struck me as being the core of his appeal).

I've completely forgotten what his power was, and had assumed it was simply the ability to constantly have "perfect" stubble, no matter when or where.

That, and he wore purple. And he wasn't Prince. So that just makes him a purple-wearing idiot.

He could make stuff explode by touching it. So he used exploding playing cards to outfox his opponents.

Not quite - if I recall correctly, he had the power to charge static objects with kinetic energy, or some such nonsense. This meant he could propel small objects (such as the playing cards which, for no real reason, became his trademark) like weapons. Then they'd explode.

That, and he wore purple.  And he wasn't Prince.  So that just makes him a purple-wearing idiot.

Most of the time it was more pink than purple.

Not quite - if I recall correctly, he had the power to charge static objects with kinetic energy, or some such nonsense. This meant he could propel small objects (such as the playing cards which, for no real reason, became his trademark) like weapons. Then they'd explode.

Spot on. The reason for the playing cards was because he used to play cards a lot with his adoptive father when he was a kid. I think that was the first objects he tried his power on.

I hear what you are all saying and I get it but I still like him. The accent got old real fast but he knew how to piss off Wolverine and was a real romantic to Rogue when I started reading. Plus his eyes are cool looking.

I did name my ferret after him, more because I liked the name and the ferrret has red eyes than character love.

Heh, true.

If Gambit wanted to he could do exactly the same with razor blades. He just happens to like cards. Plus they are easy to carry around and no one suspects them as a weapon.

Plus, his power is to charge objects with kinetic energy. Isn't it a bit overkill to have a weapon that could fuck you up, but charge it with energy that will make it explode first?

Gambit has always been one of my favourite X-Men since Scott Lobdell developed his character. Since they revealed all of his mysteries, he's been pretty damn dull though, and it's not like there's lots of well-developed X-Men to choose from anyway.

"Gambit begat Cable who begat Psylocke who begat Bishop, yadda-yadda-yadda..."

Psyclocke and Rachel were created long before Gambit. Cable came out around the same time as Gambit. And, Bishop is by far the worst excuse for an X-character ever created.

And, no, Psylocke wasn't one of the time-travelling X-characters. She's the brother of Alan Moore's Capt. Britain, who was turned half-Oriental by the Mandarin......then she stopped wearing clothes......cough

And, why are we lumping Gambit in with all the time-travelling junk from the X-books anyway? He's not a time-traveller. Those are mistakes all onto their lonesome. We can't blame one character you don't like for every bad idea in X-Men history!

And, why are we lumping Gambit in with all the time-travelling junk from the X-books anyway?

Actually, I didn't mean to. I was just rattling off all of the terrible 90's X-Men that made me hate those titles...it was just a happy accident most of them ended up being time-skipping lumps. And yeah, I know Psylocke was around before, but she was a non-entity then, and all they did was slap some "Bad Girl" huge knockers on her and make her all "grim 'n' gritty" in her attitude. Talk about a bunch of terrible comic cliches in one awful package.

And the playing card thing bugs me. How would energy somehow make things heavier? I defy anyone here to fling a playing card more than 7-8 feet. And even if it goes further, it's definitely curving off in all sorts of directions. Gambit is a walking lie! Hate him! Burn him!

Talk about finger flinging. If you’ve been wanting to learn how to throw and toss cards any which way, the Art of Card Throwing DVD, by Rick Smith Jr., offers clear explanations and instructions. Your tosses may come nowhere near Smith’s Guiness World Record of 216 feet 4 inches, but with this DVD, you’ll be adequately throwing cards and performing other flashy flourishes.

http://magic.about.com/od/magicreview/fr/cardthrowingDVD.htm

2. Card Types

Okay, with those guys now gone, we can have a little bit of fun. No, don't get out the deck just yet, we need a bit of background. OK, the first three questions anyone asks is "How is this done? What kind of special cards do you need? Where did this come from?" Well, let me go in the easiest to hardest first.

You do not need any special cards what so ever. However, I do have personal preference. Air cushioned poker cards (Bicycle, Hoyle, and others) are my favorite because they don't stick together when new and are a bit wear and weather resistant. Bicycle, Hoyle, all these are American company-made cards, so if you're elsewhere, you can use any other kind. Here "air cushioned" means that they are coated in a plastic that does not stick to other cards. And also, be sure you buy a few decks, you'll need them. Just don't say that you're Gambit (X-Men reference) when the clerk gives you funny looks.

Other cards however, will work just fine, from CocaCola to Disney to plastic coated and so on. Don't use hard plastic, heavy weight, credit, or any other type of card you may think is superior. Those cards actually require a different technique - and misuse has consequences, trust me...

Metal cards are not really welcome in this category as they act like throwing stars, not cards. These bits of sheet metal are far more like the first primitive shuriken developed reportedly in Japan, made not to spin, but to pierce like a dagger...

http://www.knifethrowing.info/throwing_cards.html

Throwing Cards

These 4 of a kind throwers (Aces) are made of heavy stainless steel with each card weighing 1.9 oz. All edges are ground to a chisel edge, but are not knife-sharp. They are sharp enough to stick in a variety of materieals including wood. They are packaged in a nylon wallet with a belt loop. Each card is 3.5 inches tall by 2.5 inches wide.

Availability: Usually ships the same business day.

CARD-4Usually: $29.95Best Price: $14.95

http://www.defensedevices.com/throwing-cards.html

Now I don't throw cards, but I was on a listserv ages and ages ago where the discussion turned to tossing weapons, including cards and knives. There was one member on it who was learning how to toss knives, but he said he was playing with cards too, and said he'd often surprise himself at what they could do.

I believe Gambit's cards were made of some light thin metal, although as has been said, he could use almost anything. I still think you're downplaying the character and the romance element between Rogue and Gambit. -- I know that was a very appealing element to me as a young, female reader. (Yeah, I know guys don't consider it a relationship unless the couple is doing it on top of church steeples ;) ). Plus in a team as large as the X-Men there really is a place for the dashing, roguish type, and nobody else was filling that bill.

Besides, you have to give the character a couple of bonus points for the trenchcoat (and double points when it covered up the ugly purple outfit.) :D It's in the rules. ;)

I know Psylocke was around before, but she was a non-entity then, and all they did was slap some "Bad Girl" huge knockers on her and make her all "grim 'n' gritty" in her attitude.  Talk about a bunch of terrible comic cliches in one awful package.

They also made her a ninja.

Duh, Mark! I said she turned Japanese (I think she's turning Japanese, I think she's turning Japanese, I really think so....) and we all know that all Japanese people are expert ninjas who live their lives around a 17th century code of honour!

One of Gambit's powers is sheer luck, so he's lucky enough to be able to fling those cards so far and accurately.

And who ever said Gambit wasn't a liar? We all know he's a theif and a liar who'll break Rogue's heart!

It was a breath of fresh air when Peter Milligan started writing "X-Men" and revealed Gambit and Rogue's relationship for the sham it is. Sure, it started out all romantic with the star-crossed lovers who were always screwing up their lives, but after 15 years of that, you start to really wonder about the mental health of these two, still playing their games.

One of Gambit's powers is sheer luck, so he's lucky enough to be able to fling those cards so far and accurately.

I think that was Longshot.

And who ever said Gambit wasn't a liar? We all know he's a theif and a liar who'll break Rogue's heart!

It was a breath of fresh air when Peter Milligan started writing "X-Men" and revealed Gambit and Rogue's relationship for the sham it is. Sure, it started out all romantic with the star-crossed lovers who were always screwing up their lives, but after 15 years of that, you start to really wonder about the mental health of these two, still playing their games.

Being a liar or a conman (at least to some degree) usually goes hand in hand with that roguish attitude. That's what makes those kind of guys dangerous, and therefore appealing (at least to some degree) to certain types of women. It's also a big part of the reason that more realistic, fleshed-out characters like Constatine can't keep a relationship going either (although in a more R-rated format as opposed to the more PG level X-Men).

After 15 years, most relationships would require some growth or attention. I would assume Rogue's and Gambit's would be no different. Thankfully I quit reading long before it got that dull and boring.