electricinca

X-Men 3 Trailer

Watch the trailers. Theyre awsome imho, because of the editing, voiceover, music and look/atmosphere. Though im not much of an X-Mener, i just bought the first one to find out if i hold any place in my heart for it.

Honestly, hagren, I seriously doubt they're awesome.

I'm pretty sure the trailers are the same as the broadcasted commericals, and even if they aren't, the commercials don't leave me wanting to see more -- let alone wanting to download huge media files over a dial-up connection.

Besides, and please don't take this the wrong way, I find I don't agree with most of your movie choices or your film critiques. I enjoy reading the debates you engage in about movies. I respect you for offering the reasons why movies appeal to you or don't, but most of the time I find I disagree completely with your opinions and choices. The only reason I say that is because it would take somebody whose opinions I am more in tune with to convince me that the trailers would be worth my time or effort, and even then, I doubt I would bother downloading the trailers.

I'm siding with Hagren on this one, actually. I'm not a particuarly big fan of the X-Men, but those trailers are damn cool. They fill me with comic-nerd glee.

The original trailer was better, less of a "everything-but-the-kitchen-sink" teaser. I'd suggest checking that one out and keeping an eye out for the Fastball Special toward the end.

Is this a joke? 

Bryan Singer is still on Superman, and Brett Ratner has indeed taken over the X-Men franchise.  All this was revealed quite some time ago.

I'm glad someone else has trepidations about Ratner doing X-Men.  I can't stand him either.  His best film is Red Dragon, and it doesn't even come close to Michael Mann's Manhunter.

Why would it be a joke?

And yeah, I only just found out. Must've missed the news somehow.

Brett Ratner is a talentless by-the-numbers hack. The only reason Red Dragon is a decent film is because a) he had Michael Mann's film as a blueprint and b) he had a tremendous cast. As a director, he is uninspired and mediocre at best.

It looks like I need to check out the X Men trailer now. Back in a few minutes.

Is this a joke? 

Bryan Singer is still on Superman, and Brett Ratner has indeed taken over the X-Men franchise.  All this was revealed quite some time ago.

I'm glad someone else has trepidations about Ratner doing X-Men.  I can't stand him either.  His best film is Red Dragon, and it doesn't even come close to Michael Mann's Manhunter.

Why would it be a joke?

Brett Ratner is a talentless by-the-numbers hack. The only reason Red Dragon is a decent film is because a) he had Michael Mann's film as a blueprint and b) he had a tremendous cast. As a director, he is uninspired and mediocre at best.

I thought you were making a joke because the news was so old. Plus, it seemed like you were sarcastically implying that Singer gave Superman over to Ratner as he did with X-Men. Just needed clarification, that's all.

We're actually on the exact same page.

My thoughts are identical to your last few posts. Might be a first for me on this forum.... :D

Why would it be a joke?

I thought you were making a joke because the news was so old. Plus, it seemed like you were sarcastically implying that Singer gave Superman over to Ratner as he did with X-Men. Just needed clarification, that's all.

We're actually on the exact same page.

My thoughts are identical to your last few posts. Might be a first for me on this forum.... :D

You mean you usually disagree with me :biggrin: ?

I suppose the news is old but I havent been following the saga of this film all that closely. Didn't hear about this somehow. I was implying that Singer gave X Men over to Ratner because he wanted to concentrate on Superman. Which upsets me because I was hoping for X3 to exceed the first two and I wish the Superman film didnt exist. I think the first two Chris Reeve movies are the definitive Superman. I'm probably alone in this but I don't care. I'm also not ashamed to admit that nostalgic connection plays a big part in this. And Brandon Routh's seeming inadequacy for the role (especially compared to Reeve).

Just saw the X3 trailer and it IS somewhat underwhelming. The story has potential but this film seems to be emphasizing plot machinations and set pieces over characterization. Which would be typical of Ratner. Some of the FX look bad and Kelsey looks terrible. Also, visually it seems somewhat lacking. I've seen all those 'action shots' before. Hundreds of times. Some of the scenes in the first two X movies took my breath away but all that I saw in the trailer just looked blah to me.

I think the first two Chris Reeve movies are the definitive Superman. I'm probably alone in this but I don't care.

I'm with you on that one, but....

I am very excited for the new one as well.

I think the first two Chris Reeve movies are the definitive Superman. I'm probably alone in this but I don't care.

You're nowhere near alone in that opinion - it's shared by most of the Superman fans I've ever encountered. And me.

You're nowhere near alone in that opinion - it's shared by most of the Superman fans I've ever encountered. And me.

That's true. What I actually meant was - I think the first two Chris Reeve movies are the definitive Superman and that no more Superman films should be made unless they find someone that is up to filling Reeve's shiny patent leather boots. This is not a very rational opinion certainly but I feel it very strongly, nonetheless.

I have to admit, I have some reservations about an unknown donning the "S" and the cape......

I have to admit, I have some reservations about an unknown donning the "S" and the cape......

Unknown is fine. Chris Reeve was an unknown. But an unknown that looks about 20 years old? Not so good.

I'll see that, and add the following - an unknown who looks fuck-all like Superman? Significantly problematic.

Yeah, the youth thing irks me, especially since this is supposed to be 10 years AFTER the 2nd film, and the new actor looks younger than the guy playing Superboy on Smallville.

Yeah, the youth thing irks me, especially since this is supposed to be 10 years AFTER the 2nd film, and the new actor looks younger than the guy playing Superboy on Smallville.

I don't know if the 10 years would make a difference (unless it's Earth 2 Superman or some bullshit like that) but I agree Routh is tooooo young.

I always assumed Superman aged "normally" (by comic book standards)...he's gone through child/teenage/adult years at seemingly the same pace as a regular human.

Hugh Jackman said in an interview that X-Men 3 is the last X-Men flick, so a trilogy, but there will be a Wolverine spinoff, wheter its a prequel (If Wolvy dies in X3) or sequel.

He didnt talk of an aforementioned Magneto spinoff.

... The problem with everything I've heard about X-3 is that it looks like an over-cooked mess - too many new characters, too many disparate plot elements, too many creative changes behind the scenes, too many setpieces, too little coherence or heart - and those are precisely the kind of films which tend to have awesome trailers. Just like this one, in fact, which is packed to the gills with cool-looking shots and action clips, but gives you absolutely no idea what the tone of the film is going to be (apart from "MORE+BIGGER=BETTER", which is hardly promising), which characters it's going to focus on, or what it's actually going to be about.

I saw the new trailer at V for vendetta last night and I agree. I'm not a huge X-men fan, so I don't have any big expectations. That MORE+BIGGER=BETTER equation doesn't tend to make very good movies. It is a formula that Hollywood loves though.

Mark:

I dunno, i think the trailer looks beautiful (Bridge/forest/lake/weatherchange scenes), i like the dialogue/monologue bits in it, and i like the war atmosphere and story. The music is cool too.

I also know the first two and still like the trailer.

In fact, it was the only thing that got me interested to buy and watch X-Men 1 and 2, and i loved them (With the first being the more enjoyable and the second being the deeper film), while when i first watched some parts of X-Men i found it ludicrous.

I think the Story will be somehow like this :

The new (human) president of America refuses to hold himself to the truce the former President made with Xavier, what destroys the effort of them made in X-men 2, and gives Magneto another chance and reason to start a war against the humans, for whatever background.

Meanwhile Xaviers team finds Jean by the cliffs, bring her into their school and treat her.

They realise she changed and also that she has a great power, but they arent sure what she can do specifically (We know she will be Phoenix). Xavier wants her to be watched and controlled.

She is herself very confused, feels a kind of power pressing her to the dark side, but her conscience says her to stay with Xavier, and foremost Logan.

Both parties want to have her, Magneto because he knows she is strong and doesnt want to fear her, aka being sure shes on his side, and Xavier (Logan) because they still like her and see the chance to turn her back, mostly Logan, who loves her. She gets very confused, swaps from side to side and wants Logan eventually to kill her. Cyclops gets very upset about all of this. Theres also some love triangle between Iceman, Rogue and Shadowcat.

Meanwhile, the humans discover a cure for the X-genom, to turn them perminently to humans again, and some of the mutants, like Mckoy want to use it for good, he uses it on himself.

The source of this cure is a utterly powerful mutant. They try to use it on Angel too (Wheter he wants it or not), but he refuses since he has reservations.

The others tough, like Magneto, see even more threat in that and dont want to be cured, he creates an army in the woods. And even in Xaviers team some of them dont want that cure, like Storm, because she thinks theres no matter with them being different. Should they give up ther uniqueness to live a normal life?

The war begins.

Magneto has a big army, so the X-men go against them, while the President gets worrysome and sends his troops to kill the mutants and protect his human fellows. Magneto sends out Mystique to kill the most powerful politicians while he goes to find them on his won method too.

Xavier dies, is buried and tough theyre in deep sadness, they go out to the warfield again and kill even humans on their way, though Xavier wanted peace until his death, he got himself very confused in his last days.

Big rampage in the city etc.

Even the youngsters support the war, though the elders dont like it, but they wont stop them, because theyre not kids anymore, aka responsible for their own asses and decisions.

We will se what will be the end.

The most spot goes for Phoenix me thinks.

And of course there are new characters, like always, but here it makes sense because its bout two mutant-armies. They dont have to be all detailed (or is exactly that your concern?).

I obviously also dont have any problem with casts or characters etc. because i dont vknow much bout the comics or besides the first two x-men movies.

And i like the story with its questions about being otherwise but true to yourself or rather like everyone else but living in limitation, some people press on them, some people dont care.

And how people handle that differently.

Thats the impression i got from this two trailers (and maybe you know everything what i wrote), but here are another two summaries from IMDB . Maybe they know more:

1. In X-Men: The Last Stand, the final chapter in the X-Men motion picture trilogy, a "cure" for mutancy threatens to alter the course of history. For the first time, mutants have a choice: retain their uniqueness, though it isolates and alienates them, or give up their powers and become human. The opposing viewpoints of mutant leaders Charles Xavier (Stewart), who preaches tolerance, and Magneto (McKellen), who believes in the survival of the fittest, are put to the ultimate test -- triggering the war to end all wars.

2. The X-Men, mutant heroes sworn to defend a world that hates and fears them, are back! This time, with the help of new recruits The Beast and Angel, they must face evolution itself in the form of their former teammate, Jean Grey. Possessed with the cosmic power of the Dark Phoenix, the resurrected Jean Grey has become a danger to herself, her mutant comrades, and the entire planet. To stave off this imminent threat to humanity, a potential cure is discovered and processed to treat -- and ultimately eliminate -- genetic mutations, once and for all. Now, as the battle lines are drawn, the X-Men, led by Professor Charles Xavier, must contend with both Jean Grey's world-consuming powers, as well as the malevolent Brotherhood, a band of powerful mutants organized under Xavier's former ally, Magneto.

Question: Wow, i didnt even read this before!

What are those movies in particular with which im so utterly on the other side than you?

Did you like the first two X-Men?

I hope you dont think that im this and that "less than you" because you think differently, apart from that i wont take it wrong.

I spoke more in a technical way of the trailers btw, in which case they really impressed me.

Why dont you like them?

Why are they so otherwise from the other two movies?

I mean some of you guys talk about detailed things like character development etc, though its just a two minute trailer!

Who cares what people say.

Maybe its not new for you, and you dislike the solutions, but the film itself could be good.

Though of course, it could be bad too, what i want to say is, wheter you like the trailer or not, it doesnt mean anything.

I dont know how many times i liked films which had shit trailers and vice versa.

And thats how i think, that doesnt mean im wrong or not into films or anything. Cant help my sensations.

Brett Ratner is a talentless by-the-numbers hack. The only reason Red Dragon is a decent film is because a) he had Michael Mann's film as a blueprint

I remember in an interview, that Ratner was flabergasted as to the fact that Mann had for some unbeknownst reason to Ratner, left out chunks of the book.

In all his ego-married to-stupity he never considered that they were left out for a very good reason.

Manhunter is one of those few films that is better than the book.

Atrocious (but meaningful) music aside it is my favourite film.

To subtle for it's own good.

It made me want to make movies and in the same breath reminded me of why that wouldn't be possible.

Perversily, I first saw it as a kid, becuase I thought it was the Martian Manhunter!! Fact!!

Back to the Topic- Superman Ratner. No!!!

I dont know what to think bout the Superman movie.

Im not much into Superman, but im interested in it, sometimes i hear how good it will be, sometimes not.

I could imagine it to be a good movie, because its Synger and the X-Men movies were great, tough maybe as Superman movie it wont but i cant decide that with my limited knowledge of him.

I just want it to be a fun movie with some meaning and drama.

And with X-Men 3 i will see.

I dont watch a movie or refuse to out of actors or directors etc., but about what kind of a movie it is, the story, characters, look, feeling etc, so maybe Ratner isnt a good director, but unless it wont be a sucking movie i wont judge upon him or prejudge.

I try to go blank into this movie and i hope its good.

The trailer hits quite my taste.

Why is it like this how Abhi states it is?

Question: Wow, i didnt even read this before!

What are those movies in particular with which im so utterly on the other side than you?

Honestly, off the top of my head, I can't think of the name of a specific film. (The obvious one won't work because I've decided not to waste my money seeing it. I made that decision based on my understanding of the comics, my impressions of the movie as it was being made, the people involved in the movie -- both in front of the camera and behind it -- the reviews it got and the press it generated, and the feelings people here had about it. I'll wait until it shows up on TV.) My comment was only a general one. I'm sure there are movies we agree upon. It's just that if somebody said to me, "name the people on the board whose movie taste is closest to yours and the furthest from yours" I think I would put you in the latter category. My gut feeling saying I'm closer to Abhi or Mark in opinion, but again, that's only a gut feeling. I don't have scientific data (i.e. hard numbers) right in front of me.

Did you like the first two X-Men?

I mostly enjoyed the first movie. I had issues with it -- certain casting choices top the list I think -- but overall it is a decent, watchable, superhero movie. I was less enamoured of the second movie, although I've only seen it once (when it first came out) so I'm really not in a position to review it scene by scene.

As I said, I paid to see both on the big screen, and I've got a fairly good (if not completely up to date) familiarity with the source material -- ranging right up from the early X-Men stories with Scott, Jean, Hank, Bobby and Warren, right up through most of the spin off books.

I hope you dont think that im this and that "less than you" because you think differently, apart from that i wont take it wrong.

Absolutely not. That's why I posted what I did. I respect your opinion, and I especially admire you for posting so thoroughly about why you like/dislike a project. I just have the impression that in most cases, you and I differ in our appreciation of movies (although as I said, I could be wrong about that.) To me it's simply a matter of one person preferring apples and another preferring oranges. Nothing more, nothing less.

I read a lot of movie reviews, and I've found that there are reviewers I trust more than others, so I'll give their opinions more weight in my decision making process than reviews by writers I don't know as well or disagree with more. I still read those people -- I don't buy my head in the sand. I also take my preferred reviewers with a huge grain of salt. I know that there are films I'll enjoy that they didn't and vice versa. Reaction to movies or books is deeply personal, and sometimes the reasons for enjoying something have nothing to do with "objective" quality of the work. Sometimes a movie might just strike a certain familiar chord and because of that, it earns unexpected fans.

I spoke more in a technical way of the trailers btw, in which case they really impressed me.

Why dont you like them?

Why are they so otherwise from the other two movies?

I really hate the feeling of them. As I said before, it feels as if the trailers are trying to stuff in every mutant alive and involve them in every plot ever played out in every x-book ever published. I think I called it "kitchen sink" bombardment before, and I stand by that. I really don't need extra mutants, and I'm not entirely thrilled with some of the casting choices, as I stated earlier. I dread how badly the Phoenix storyline is going to be butchered. I had a sense that the special effects were very phony looking. Again, I haven't memorized the commercials, and I haven't seen the latest one since I posted about it, so the memory isn't fresh. I just know that as I was watching them, I wasn't impressed.

More importantly, I have the same doubts about the creative team behind this picture as other people have already discussed, and I can't put that aside when thinking about this movie or watching trailers for it.

I mean some of you guys talk about detailed things like character development etc, though its just a two minute trailer!

Who cares what people say.

Maybe its not new for you, and you dislike the solutions, but the film itself could be good.

Though of course, it could be bad too, what i want to say is, wheter you like the trailer or not, it doesnt mean anything.

Of course the film could be brilliant. It's just that the trailers don't give me any evidence of that potential. A trailer should entice a person to see a movie. The X3 trailers haven't done that for me. If anything they have reaffirmed my doubts about the project.

I dont know how many times i liked films which had shit trailers and vice versa.

And thats how i think, that doesnt mean im wrong or not into films or anything. Cant help my sensations.

I don't usually put much stock in trailers. I try to be aware of which movies are in production, when they are coming out and which ones I might want to see, based on what I hear of the plot, the source material (if any), the production team and the actors involved. If I'm on the fence about a movie, the trailer can help me decide. Usually the trailer convinces me not to see the picture. It rarely works the other way around, although it has happened.

As I said, I'll withhold my judgement about this movie until it comes out and until I read a few early reviews. Then I'll make up my mind as to whether to spend my money for an admission ticket. Right now, however, I am very comfortable saying I won't be waiting in line to see it. It's not a movie I'm waiting for with gleeful anticipation. It's more a movie I am dreading to see. It's a movie I would like to enjoy, but I deeply suspect I'll be disappointed.

Too many characters introduced at once doesn't work well.

The first X-Men movie really had that problem.

Everyone was introduced all at once, and Wolverine, Rogue, and Prof. X were the only characters who got any attention. The other characters were just there to fight.

I dont care about that if the characters that are more featured are good :)

And when there are characters, maybe ununsed, but still somehow in the background.

Question: THe only feeling i got from the trailer that it has a dark war atmosphere, what i like.

I agreed sometimes with Abhi and often with Mark.

And there were quite a few people here who liked TAF, just visit the "Did you see constantine" thread, they just tend to view it otherwise a year later ;)

(O course there were also people who strongly disliked it, some who thought its average, and some who didnt see it).

I also liked it as another view from the source material, not as HB of course.

And i dont have much against Reeves, or a cool looking well made film bout angels and demons.

Yeah, we will se what X3 will be, lets hope its good :)

I liked the first two, with the first being the funnier, the second being the deeper but not so enjoayble.

I agree with you what you said about opinions, that X doesnt apply to you but Y, but nevertheless it can be true, aka every opinion is more or less right or wrong.

Though i have to say altough i have persons who come close to mine (And i often share opinions with many people, now eg. many do like this trailer) i never agree with someone completely or utterly never.

So i dont have any "Thats the person i mostly relie on" Critic or Forumite, i always read and count everyone, thats another thing what i agree on or not.

So with me its not about with whom i disagree/agree often, but how does this person think about his/her opinion ("Thats the ultimate truth because im so great" isnt that what im going for) or if he/she can explain why she liked/disliked XY film, or how much shes/hes open minded for other opinions and discussions (So no "This movie suxx because its shit and everytime you want to say otherwise, i say the same and dismiss you").

Oh and i dont know the X-Men comics so maybe thats why we see things differently.

I dont know how they are, so cant be raving about casting choices or storylines.

But im not really caring about who is behind of a movie, but what they do.