JohnMcMahon

Would you like to see a return to the DC/Vertigo..

Would you like to see a return to the DC/Vertigo shared universe ?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a return to the DC/Vertigo shared universe ?

• Yes
    • No

Spinning out of a lamentable diatribe from Tom, do you miss the shared universe aspects we used to see between the DC/Vertigo books ?

The Swamp Thing : Regenesis trade released last week plays off DC's Crisis, has a funny Batman cameo and makes an obvious mention to a crossover event going on at the time. I have to admit that I quite enjoyed these despite having no real interest in the mainstream DCU, it adds greatly to the sense of disbelief as it helps create the illusion of a fully functional fictional world.

Do you think that could work today ? Would a Batman cameo (even something as small as a mention on an on-screen newspaper) be too out of place in modern day Hellblazer ?

I voted no. It's already stretching things trying to reconcile Hellblazer and Lucifer (for instance), when those two are pretty similar in certain aspects. Trying to get Batman and Superman and other ridiculous creatures in there would just be silly. Superheroics just don't mix with the "edgy horror" titles. (Sorry, Tom) :p

no, simply because that would mean that Vertigo would have more DC editors hanging over it, which means that big crossovers would have to be dealt with, etc, and certain stories could no longer be told.

Well Identity Crisis has rape and murder in it, so I don't see quite what the problem is these days. I'm not saying go nuts with the inter-series cameos, but at least allow characters to pop up here and there if it worked for the story - Constantine in Gotham Central would be fun, for example, or having references to Lucifer made in mainstream DCU titles (where's The Spectre getting his power from these days?).

As it is, I think only Zatanna and the Phantom Stranger still straddle the DC/Vertigo divide, and that's only because they're such minor characters.

On a barely connected note, I wanted Constantine to turn up in the Batman Animated Series. Now I want him to turn up in that Justice League Unlimited thing.

I voted yes, for basically the same reasons as James.

We're agreeing more & more these days. Have to put a stop to that.

So why didn't Superman stop the Beast With No Name then? He's not human, after all, so TBWNN would have no power over him...

Do you guys REALLY want JC to meet or (gods forbid) team up with Batman? Or fight the Joker?

So why didn't Superman stop the Beast With No Name then? He's not human, after all, so TBWNN would have no power over him...

Ah, it would be for the same reason that Hitler kept the Spear of Destiny to stop Supes finishing off WWII - the big blue boy scout is susceptible to magic, and they've used that as a standard get-out clause for a great many things.

So why didn't Superman stop the Beast With No Name then?

Cause the Beast wasn't a physical entity so Supes couldn't wack it over the head! That or he was too busy with Identity Crisis or Luthor or whatever.

I voted no just because I thought the Vertigo universe should have freedom from another universe's continuity problems, but then again these kinds of mild crossovers might be kind of fun. Constantine and Bats in the same occult tale? Might be fun!

Just because they share the same universe doesn't mean that they have to run into each other all the time. Constantine may live on the same planet as Superman but it's a different world and they move in different circles. It'd just be cool to see those circles overlap from time to time.

Constantine was very much a part of the DCU at his conception and was plunged head-first into the company's first (and still the biggest) cross-over event. I'm not suggesting that Constantine join the JLA (well not yet anyway:)) but just that some lip service be paid to the character's roots.

As Neil Gaiman once said;

"The DC Universe is a wonderful playground".

To each his own...

I just really don't want to imagine JC living in a world where Superman goes fist-to-fist with Darkseid in the skies above fucking metropolis. I want him living in a world nicely free of superheroes of the garden variety...

I've always liked it when DCU characters popped up in Vertigo books like Sandman and Swamp Thing. It's gotta be done just right, tho. Something not much more than a simple cameo or reference.

I'd always assumed Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Sandman (and spin-offs), Lucifer, and Books of Magic(k) co-existed in the same world as the DCU. One just had to realize that the world is a big place where crazy events (like alien invasions and the sun going out) don't always have the same impact on certain folks. John Constantine lives in a world where both Heaven and Hell not only exist but seems to co-exist in the material world wtih no one seeming to mind. In fact all the eternal question of OUR world seem to be answered in the DCU--God and the Supernatural exist, Aliens not only exist but live amongst humans, just about every myth from the past is true, etc. I think it's good to keep the world of Constantine as close as possible to OUR world but one just has to suspend their disbelief from time to time. In other words one just chooses what to believe in just like in the REAL world.

Well in that case the Beast's hold on humanity only occurred for part of one evening and Constantine & friends had extinguished the threat before the superhero community could be mobilized.

Remember that fan-boys/girls can make sense of just about anything.

Or the SuperGrunts were running themselves ragged trying to stop everyone in Metropolis/Gotham/wherever from killing themselves and didn't have chance to investigate further.

Except for Batman and The Flash and that lot, who were all going nuts themselves.

I would assume that Bruce Wayne being a "Son of Adam" would have been affected. But then this sort of thing seems to happen all the time in the alleged DCU/Vertigo Universe so the regular man on the street would probably just shrug it off and wait for the next calamity.

i voted yes, but for slightly different reasons - i want to see a Vertigo Batman tale, where we get to hear cursing, see EXTREME graphic violence, some strange new psychological take on the character that wouldn;t fit in his monthly book...

i think the DCU heroes could benefit a LOT form the maturity and edge that vertigo could provide, and Vertigo seems to be running pout of steam/ideas slowly but steadily, so this might be a needed infusion.

Then they can do "Vertigo Visions" specials with them.

I voted "NO" as I don't want to see big cross-overs with Vertigo books, I have a problem with people like Oscar Wilde co-existing with people like Speedy, and hey! Vertigo has already ruined comic books! Why not keep them quarantined?! :D

People, my question about Superman etc. wasn't meant seriously! I just wanted to make a point about how the whole "suspension of disbelief" thing just goes down the drain if you include all the whackos in a pretty down-to-earth world like JC's. (It IS mainly down-to-earth. All the weird stuff goes below 99% of the peoples' radar. Darkseid vs. Superman couldn't possibly...)

But since you all have weird brains, you don't think this is a problem...:D