JohnMcMahon

Would you like to see a return to the DC/Vertigo..

Would you like to see a return to the DC/Vertigo shared universe ?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a return to the DC/Vertigo shared universe ?

• Yes
    • No

voted no, for slightly the same reasons everybody else did. On a more selfish note I've got add that I've never cared much for the DC universe, so I would miss most of the fun in a crossover.

cameos are one thing, but anything heavier might not work very well.

I voted no. But this is because I'm not sure of the result. I mean, why some author would make such a thing? Maybe as an experiment (a 'What If' if you like the expression), but the authors should take a looot of care not to fuck it off. It's easier a superhero crossover, such as Spawn/Batman (which I didn't like) or Batman/Spawn (which I liked... did you know that in this precise comic the writer prophesed a terrorist strike against the World Trade Center?). Other crossovers like Hellblazer/Batman should be okay if there's a intermediate, like the Swamp Thing. Anyway, I don't know if it would like me...

Well Identity Crisis has rape and murder in it, so I don't see quite what the problem is these days. I'm not saying go nuts with the inter-series cameos, but at least allow characters to pop up here and there if it worked for the story - Constantine in Gotham Central would be fun, for example

Gotham city is a weird place and its atmosphere is compatible with Hellblazer. However, I think it would be a bad thing if Batman or any of the other DCU superheroes showed up in Hellblazer - that would add an element of clownishness that the book doesn't need. DCU's madman-villains are another matter - certain of them could make appearances in Hellblazer depending on the writer.

I wouldn't be upset over a serious Hellblazer/Batman crossover, as long as it's done as a separate title. Exploring the relationship between the mage and the detective could be worthwhile, given JC's antipathy toward cops and authoritarians, and Batman's feelings toward ne'er do wells.

i want to see DC done the Vertigo treatment, not Superman popping over in Hellblazer to say hi to John, and ask him if he can reason with Zatanna, before she causes another Identity Crisis... ;)

i want to see DC done the Vertigo treatment, not Superman popping over in Hellblazer to say hi to John, and ask him if he can reason with Zatanna, before she causes another Identity Crisis... ;)

I've got to agree with Rogan here. I voted no, mostly because I don't trust people to fuck with things I like. There are elements of DC that I would like to see done with a Vertigo flair, and I've got to admit that the idea of a GOOD Batman/Hellblazer crossover makes me drool, but overall I'd prefer if the two universes remained separate. I love superhero comics, but in general I prefer if they stay the hell away from my horror stories.

It's all so complicated as Constantine was in Gotham City in Hellblazer #9 and has hob-nobbed with the costumed folks in Swamp Thing. But now it would be distracting to have Batman or Adam Strange or The Power Twins and their ilk in Hellblazer but not so much to have Constantine in their books...if that makes sense.

But, I will say, you couldn't tell that John was not in N.Y. when he was supposed to be in Gotham. I thought he was in New York, anyway!

It just ruins the suspension of disbelief in "Hellblazer" if a superhero is there. Yeah, I know that sounds funny since John has been to Avalon and fights demons (not literally movie people! :mad: )....but John C. is very believable and discusses political topics and and....I want him to be my friend( :icon_cry: ).

Something else I think we don't take into consideration, as we found out in the Monthly Title Forum, there are not too many Vertigo books which are even possible to place in the DCU! Wouldn't that get confusing?!

Anyway, Hilde-I'd like to convince you to give some DCU books a try! I used to not enjoy the DC Universe at all, but there have been some really good, genre-bending, creative books put out by mainstream DC since the end of the "Crisis"!

It really is a wonderful and fun world to play around in.

Dc's globe is almost twice as largwer with all the invented countries, but Marvel's globe consists largely of New York and it's neighbourhoods.

Marvel could never have Opal City, though...

Don't forget that crazy, made up place called Serbia that was in that one issue of "Iron Man"!

Man...Marvel was getting almost as unbelievable as DC with that one!

:lol:

No, no, Rogan! That's just silly! What would Marvel be thinking calling the guy THAT?!

It was Ratadon Slobonabich, the genetically cleansing Mad Serb! One punch from Iron Man felled the mighty Hitler wannabe! THAT'S writing!

:lol:

Care to explain?

because

Christian said;But, I will say, you couldn't tell that John was not in N.Y. when he was supposed to be in Gotham. I thought he was in New York, anyway!

It just ruins the suspension of disbelief in "Hellblazer" if a superhero is there. Yeah, I know that sounds funny since John has been to Avalon and fights demons (not literally movie people!  )....but John C. is very believable and discusses political topics and and....I want him to be my friend(  ).

Something else I think we don't take into consideration, as we found out in the Monthly Title Forum, there are not too many Vertigo books which are even possible to place in the DCU! Wouldn't that get confusing?!

Anyway, Hilde-I'd like to convince you to give some DCU books a try! I used to not enjoy the DC Universe at all, but there have been some really good, genre-bending, creative books put out by mainstream DC since the end of the "Crisis"!

It really is a wonderful and fun world to play around in.

hmmm time saving :biggrin:

I voted Yes.

Now, I'm not saying the idea of a Hellblazer/Action Comics cross-over pleases me (quite the opposite, actually), but some inter-book continuity would be nice. Maybe a nod in some other book about what went down in London, or Zatanna making a comment during one of those painfully-cheesy Sentinels of Magic gatherings that "John would know what to do."

I've always thought of most of the Vertigo titles to still take place in the DCU, just like someone (Neil Gaiman, I think) said: "A long bus ride away from the DCU." (Obviously titles like Preacher, Transmet., and so on don't apply).

The idea of John being the guy who takes care of some of these problems that can't be solved by a quick punch to the face from Batman is one that appeals to me. I like the thought that the world of primary-color heroes and their super-computers and kid sidekicks never really know how close they've come to losing it all, and how they've narrowly been saved time and time again by some lowly street magician with a Jesus complex.

Or maybe I'm just making up excuses because I still think a Constantine/Uncle Sam team-up would be all kinds of awesome :D

Well, if you mean the Steve Darnall version of "Uncle Sam"; Uncle Sam exists in the subconcious of the real world, while J.C. is in the DCU(Vertigo side). So, that wouldn't solve that.

There is slight DCU/Vertigo continuity like you talked about Donnie.

Sometimes John gets mentioned or you see a picture of him in a DC book.

As far as "what happened in London" and the such, I don't know if the DCU has a London! DC usually makes up it's own representative cities.

The DCU has every "real" city plus a load of made up ones.

And Hellblazer is in the DCU, so obviously that one does exist.

That was a stupid mistake on my part!

All this cross-promotion stuff (Vertigo is to DC as DC is to___) is getting surreal and making me lost touch with reality!

So, the DCU does have all the real cities of the world then?! GAH! That's just confusing and obtuse....

Guest spiderlegs
I don't believe there is a map.

The DCU cities were meant to be representations of real cities though.

Actually, I have a book about fictional maps that has one. If I can locate this book, I'll scan the page and post it here.

I'm still saying heeeeell no. For those who said yes, it works both ways, folks. And do you really think we're more liable to see a Vertigoesque story in the regular DCU, or the DCU characters referring fondly to our Vertigo loves? No, nope, sorry, it's going to be the other way around. When the editors get their say, I hope you'll enjoy the Bat-Hound helping out John in his latest supernatural escapade. :p

Now, if we were the editors, obviously it would be a different story. But we're not, and we've seen how comic book editors generally like to pander. Scratch that generally, and change that to 9 times out of 10. Hey, I know it's cynical, but it's true. I mean, we've seen it happen before, far more often than not, so.

we already had Daniel Sandman in Morrison's JLA...

and recently in JSA, Lyta Hall's fate was resolved. i think they still aparently coexist, but with very loose ties.

I think that some characters from Vertigo, like John Constantine and Tim Hunter, should be able to appear in (well written) DCU stories, like that Twilight thing Alan Moore had planned.

But Superheroes should stay the fuck out of pre-established Vertigo titles.