JohnMcMahon

Would you like to see a return to the DC/Vertigo..

Would you like to see a return to the DC/Vertigo shared universe ?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a return to the DC/Vertigo shared universe ?

• Yes
    • No

Rogan points out the good bits that can occur, which seem to ALREADY be happening from time to time in well-written DCU books!

But, the negative is the culture shock! I don't want John discussing the genocide in Sudan in a serious, mature tone in "Hellblazer" (and where the hell is the JLA to help with that?!), and then some guy on the street brings up that alien genocide that occured in Bialya (or wherever!). It just bothers me to see real-life people and situations put next to fictional stupid comic book trappings!!!!

We need our breathing space.

Besides, they took the DC Comics totally off the cover of Vertigo books!

Lyta? Really? Did it follow on from The Furies TPB?

i think it brought Lyta back into DC continuity, and all that "wife of 2nd sandman" boloney... haven't read the issue, just heard about it... i don't think there are any references to her "vacation" in Greece.

From Silver Bullet Comic Books . com

JSA #63

Posted: Monday, July 19

By: Shawn Hill

Print This Item

“Insomnia”

Writer: Geoff Johns

Artists: Jerry Ordway and Wayne Faucher

Publisher: DC

Plot:

The team has decided it’s time to rescue Sand, but first they must work past a variety of personal issues in order to begin that project on a variety of fronts.

By the Numbers:

There are many reasons to enjoy this strong issue, such as:

1. Great cover by Ethan van Scivier, who is surpassing the promise he showed as a fill-in artist on New X-men.

2. Interior art by Jerry Ordway; this is in many ways the ideal title for Ordway. His penchant for realistic detail meshes beautifully with this most historical of DC teams, and with Johns’ willingness to freely mix and match characters from all parts of DC continuity. In the panel where Jay, Lyta, Brainwave, Stargirl and Kendra are put under a spell, the relative ages, genders and attributes of each character are lovingly delineated in full-figure. Faucher’s solid, dramatic and precise inks augment his work well; in fact, I’m getting a very All-Star Comics feel from this art, which seems to be channeling Wally Wood, Joe Giella and other Silver Age greats.

3. Lyta Hall is back in action, fighting alongside her husband Hector and wearing Fury colors again. I was greatly disappointed when the rescued but comatose “Lyta” turned out to be Dove under a glamour, disappointed enough to quit reading the book save for holiday issues. So I have no idea where or how they actually found Lyta. But I’m very glad to see her back, especially in an issue that references (if very indirectly – I thought her son, the new Lord of Dreams, was the one character of the Endless that Gaiman created expressly for use in the rest of the DC universe, but his presence is very coy in this issue) her memorable stint in Vertigo.

4. Seeing Nabu finally get what’s coming to him. I’m right on board with Johns’ apt comparison of the spirit that haunts Fate to Mordru, and find it all too fitting that his present fate involves being judged and corralled by all the souls he’s caught under the Dr. Fate mantel over the years. Making Hector the current Fate was a stroke of genius that continues to pay off in good story.

5. The plethora of dream landscapes filling this issue; Dr. Fate and the JSA, like the larger DC-verse that inherited their legend, is a weird mix of science, magic and psychological symbolism. Johns seems to revel in that playing field, wielding some of the most colorful toys with style and purpose.

6. It’s fun to see Cave Carson again, in a story that perfectly befits his talents.

7. Finally, this is the way a team book should be done, with attention paid to every character and a humanistic, lively tone to the proceedings. While there is a signature Johnsian cliffhanger splashpage, this one substitutes whimsical mystery for the violence to which his epilogues are often prone.

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/revi...27863251820.htm

But, the negative is the culture shock! I don't want John discussing the genocide in Sudan in a serious, mature tone in "Hellblazer" (and where the hell is the JLA to help with that?!), and then some guy on the street brings up that alien genocide that occured in Bialya (or wherever!).

What if someone brings up that time that every human on Earth went crazy and started slaughtering each other?

Including people in Sudan? (though they probably didn't even notice Shadow Dog's intrusion into their minds...) ;)

OK, no....It's quite simplistic and just wrong to give real events a fictional reasoning!

"Hitler and the Nazis weren't evil, they were possessed by demons and therefore not responsible for their actions!"....umm, just NO.

What if it turned out that Jack the Ripper was possessed by a demon and Thatcher got into power because she was in league with the Devil?

According to Swamp Thing #53 (and various subsequent comic book stories), Gotham City was founded in 1635 by a Swedish mercenary and was later taken over by the British. During the American Revolutionary War it was the site of a major battle and various occult rites were rumored to have been conducted within the city. Perhaps for these reasons Gotham is a dark and foreboding place rife with crime, grime, and corruption. It has maintained a thriving economy and is considered a major center of manufacturing, shipping, finance, arts (with its numerous museums, gallerys, and jewelry displays), and the production of giant novelty props.

Interesting, yet unsurprising, that it was Alan Moore (in Swamp Thing) who gave Gotham some great, interesting history and heritage.

Read the rest of the article at http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/encyclop...otham_city.html if you're interested.

Interesting that someone tried to place ALL the DCU fictional cities and countries in a real-world geographical map. I would think the DCU has a higher world population than ours but then if you add all the death and destruction from super-villians I suppose it evens out.

One of my pet-peeves is when new countries are created in movies which are supposed to be 'realistic' so that DCU World Atlas doesn't seem to fit in the world I think John Constantine inhabits.

Oh and do Gotham or Metropolis have pro-sports teams?

I heard this somewhere, I'm not sure if its true or not. Quentin Tarantino thought of his movies existing in different universes. So you had the Pulp Fiction/Reservoir Dogs/True Romance universe, the Jackie Brown book adaptation universe, and then the Kill Bill universe. In relation to this he said the character of Winston Wolf could transcend these universes.

I think it would be a great device to have John Constantine as a character like this at DC. You wouldn't have characters from the other universes spilling into the Vertigo Hellblazer world, but John could appear in DC comics, hell maybe even Wildstorm ones.

There's copyright issues when it comes to WildStorm/ABC.

John could be like Obi Wan Kenobi's ghost!!! When a DCU character has a problem, they go into a trance state and come across John Constantine who gives them sage like advice!

Oh and do Gotham or Metropolis have pro-sports teams?

Off the top of my head I can think of the Gotham Knights (not kidding, though there's a Bat book of the same title). Baseball. I can't recall the Metropolis team at the moment.