Christian

Why No Jenkins Love?

One of our very own seems to get no respect around here.

This man actually wrote a readable "Spawn", he made "Spider Man" interesting again for the first time since before the Clone Saga, he wrote our beloved John Constantine making such status quo changing revelations as the resolution of the Astra plot, and he wrote one of the best Marvel series ever with "Inhumans".

Yet, no one seems to ever rave about Paul Jenkins around here.

"His Spider Man was ok", "his Hellblazer was mediocre", "his Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles wasn't very collectible", "Who the bloody hell is Paul Jenkins?!".

Why no Jenkins love?

His last stuff on SSM sucked balls. It wasnt that good and Ramos's art made it worst. Tho I heard it earlier stuff was pretty decent.

Worry not Christian, I am with you on the Jenkins love.

What I read of his Hellblazer was good, not great, but something different and intriguing.

His work on that Spawn spin-off book was surprisingly good and better than the regular. Although that is not hard to do. Nice little "man on the street" perspective stories and how they view Spawn.

Inhumans was just pure gold.

I didn't know he wrote TMNT.

His early work on Peter Parker: Spider-man was very good. The only good Spider-man being done at the time. His first (?) Spidey story with Sean Phillips in Webspinners about the Cameleon trying to reall screw with Peter was excellent. I knew Jenkins would be great on a regular title. He brought back the down on his luck, can't get a woman, funny wallcrawler we all know and love. And did it all in a way that wasn't tired and worn out.

I remember the bit with the dog next door to Peter kept looking at him weird and the he was watching Peter change into Spider-Man. Then Peter thinks the dog is up to something nefarious. Like building a doomsday device or something.

He's far from being a bad or average writer...I just don't find him exceptional or terribly unique. Let me put it this way...I'm not going to follow Jenkins around from title to title. If he shows up, it's a pleasant surprise.

His run on "Spectacular Spider Man" wasn't that good, and I blame it on the editors forcing him to write for the Trades.

His stand-alone stories on Spectacular were still a thing of genius.

I've found Jenkins' Hellblazer stand-alones to be excellent, where as some of the ones over several issues can lack pace and direction in places.

I'm definately a fan though, but I doubt I would go out of my way to read things by him just because his name is on the front.

He did write the best Spawn series.

And while Critical Mass is one of the best Hellblazer stories ever, I find most of his run to be rather dull.

Yeah, I certainly don't think he's the best "Hellblazer" writer, as I got bored by a heck of a lot of his stories, and his supporting cast was a complete joke, but amidst the dull stories there were sprinkled some of the best "Hellblazer" storie, and I loved his characterization of John.

I loved Jenkins' work on Hellblazer, but admittedly Hellblazer is the only work I've ever read. I wouldn't pick up his Spawn or Spiderman titles because Spawn and Spidey don't interest me as much, but if he suddenly took over another Vertigo title I'd be in. He's up there with Delano for me.

Jenkins is great! I met him, and he was hilarious, even though I was a smart ass to him.

What happened, Jay?

I've told the story before...

I was on 1 hour of sleep at Mid-Ohio-Con (in the late '90s, I think), and I wanted to say something funny, so I walked up and said, "I don't care what anybody says. I liked your stuff on Hellblazer."

He just stared at me for a minute, then called Scott Lobdell over so I could repeat myself to him.

After that, he sold me his CD (for his early '90s band Grave Goods). He said, "All the money goes to charity". He pulled out a picture of an orphanage. "Well, must of it goes to the kiddies, but i do have a grilfriend here in the states, so I'm going to take her out. And I need new clothes. But the rest goes to the orphanage. I'm saving up for a car, too. And, there is my massive cocaine habit to think about, but if there's anything left, I promise the kids will get it."

Great guy, all around. Later, we went to the hotel bar and watched him drink Guinness.

He was a great friend to the site when it first started up but his work post-Hellblazer has been quite patchy - followed him onto the prestige Spawn yoke (which was rubbish) then to Werewolf By Night (which was aces) and then to Sentry (first four parts - brill, rest - not so much). Lost track of him after that, think he started a long run on Spidey that didn't interest me and the first issue of the recentry Sentry mini was more like the bad parts of the first than the good.

He's got an interesting looking comic (whose name escapes me) coming out with Humerto Ramos that I'll be picking up when a trade collection is released.

I supposse I was spoilt really.

I just really enjoyed Ennis run on Hellblzer, before I had only 2000 AD, after the run I had found everything from Warrior to Watchmen, and it was a great trip.

It may be unfair to comapre, but thats the reason I didnt enjoy his work on hellblazer, i had expereinced stories like dangerous habits, grown with the title, it ment quite a lot, and still does, and then despite high hopes, I wasn't captivated by Jenkins writing as I was by Ennis'.

I droped the title, in the mid 90's, then returned for ennis and higgins run bout 130 I think, stuck with it for another 50 odd issues and dropped again.

So, I dont dislike the guy, never met him, but I dont rate his writing time on Hellblazer. I havent read those other titles, so cannot comment really.

I dont think I was the only one who lost the faith, as I think there was a decline in readership at that time as well, but obviuously enough people enjyed it, so good for them.

Jamesb

Oh yeah, order figures were in the toilet by the mid-way point of Paul's run on Hellblazer but I can't really think of a writer who would've kept up the high numbers that Garth was getting - Ellis, maybe, but that's about it.

I still think when you take Hellblazer as a whole, Jenkins run is the perfect follow-up to Ennis'

I can't think of the name off the top of my head, but the title you're think of is being published by Dark Horse and it's a Vatican murder mystery.

"followed him onto the prestige Spawn yoke (which was rubbish) then to Werewolf By Night (which was aces) "

I was pretty sure Jenkins wrote these two books before H.B.

I like the original "Sentry" mini a lot, but didn't even care enough to pick up the new one. I heard it is being very strongly controlled by the Marvel editors, perhaps even plotted by one.

When I look at the Jenkins run on Hellblazer as a whole I think it works well as a sort of character study of a man who is trying to act his age and settle down but realizes it's something he is unable to do. However many of the one and two part stories that Jenkins wrote are just dull. I think many agree that during the Jenkins tenure the horror aspect of the title became more of a fantasy one. Plus he made the boring one-note character The First of the Fallen even more of a joke. I do like the fact that he closed off the "Newcastle incident" loose end that was becoming a cheap writing device akin to the murder of Batman's parents. However I've never read anything of his outside Hellblazer and I probably won't based soley on his name alone.

I can't think of the name off the top of my head, but the title you're think of is being published by Dark Horse and it's a Vatican murder mystery.

Unimaginativley "Revelations"

But Jenkins is my second favourite Hellblazer writer (behind Delano).

Hope Bendis makes him an Avenger.

Just dont see Delano and Jenkins runs as being "boring", admittadley not paced as Ellis or Carey- but on characterisation alone they do it for me.

Always felt Jenkins was writing "Fogey Constantine".

As if the title should have ended with this quiter run.

And after Ennis, it seemed like a natural progression to me.

That twilight feel was very strong for me.

But then Ellis shat all over that subtle maturing.

Always felt Jenkins was writing "Fogey Constantine".

As if the title should have ended with this quiter run.

And after Ennis, it seemed like a natural progression to me.

That twilight feel was very strong for me.

But then Ellis shat all over that subtle maturing.

I remember Ellis saying that for his run he thought Constantine was out of his trying to settle down phase and he realized that he'll always be an adrenaline-junkie.

And it fits in with the fortune-teller issue, who predicted that JC would end up as the same person he started.

He's also my second-favorite, after Delano.

Although I'm warm to him, like with ACX, he's just not done anything I'm very interested in. Spawn and Spiderman I could care less about; Sentry was all right, but I've no heart for it. Honestly, Jenkins to me feels like he would work out better on a DC book than anything Marvel. I don't know why I feel that way, I just do.