Christian

Why No Jenkins Love?

He wrote "Batman:Jekyll and Hyde" for DC, and that was less than stellar.

He's one of those writers that I find can actually bring out the best in Marvel U characters and leave Marvel all the better for it, and there aren't many of those guys around!

"And it fits in with the fortune-teller issue, who predicted that JC would end up as the same person he started."

One of the best "Hellblazer" issues, by the way.

Guest spiderlegs

I'll give props to Jenkins. Thjey were hard earned because I didn't like him at first, but I've read more of his stuff and have some love.

I remember Ellis saying that for his run he thought Constantine was out of his trying to settle down phase and he realized that he'll always be an adrenaline-junkie.

And thats what he did, but it felt just like a reversal-as if DC just released "Ultimate Hellblazer".

It didn't feel as if it was a man who was trying to settle down, but ultimately realized the futility etc (which I think was covered in Jenkins arc anywho).

It just felt as if thats what he was.

No progression on a title that has a realitivly cohesive past and character progression.

Ofcourse this could just be writer-change-over-blues.

Anyway, theres a lot I liked about Haunted (but was quite underwhelmed by the singles), and Haine was perhaps a more potent Fogey Constantine.

I didn't feel it was a step back, so much as a return to form for J.C., just as his Anima Tarot reading revealed during Jenkins run. John really can't change, remember? He doesn't want to badly enough.

Now, Azzarello's John was a HUGE step backward!

I didn't feel it was a step back, so much as a return to form for J.C., just as his Anima Tarot reading revealed during Jenkins run. John really can't change, remember? He doesn't want to badly enough.

Now, Azzarello's John was a HUGE step backward!

Really?

I thought Azzerello wasnt all bad, although I sorta wasn't enjoying it, as much as I had hoped.

Like more recently I really enjoyed his runs on Batman and am enjoying Loveless quite a bit. Although have avoided 100 bulets, despite much advise to give it a try.

Of course, doesnt ecxplain why Jenkins isnt the most favourite, but then, when there is such a wide selection of authours, most of whom above average for sure, it will always spread the vote.

was there an opinion poll on writers??

Jamesb

Like more recently  I really enjoyed his runs on Batman and am enjoying Loveless quite a bit. Although have avoided 100 bulets, despite much advise to give it a try.

"I quite liked Paul McCartney's 'Frog Chorus' song, and Lennon's rock and roll covers album, but despite people telling me I'd like them, I've been avoiding checking out the Beatles".

Seriously, 100 Bullets is the good shit. Some of Azzarello's other work is alright, but none of it's remotely as coherent, clever, dramatic and well-conceived as Bullets - and none of it, apart from his Risso-illustrated Batman run, has artwork anywhere near as good.